Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finality: Seeing Through The Eyes Of A Grineer Lancer.

Katakuna

So, this inspiration hit me when an almost similar scenario happened in one of my Lua rubedo farming runs. "What do we look like to the Grineer? Do the Grineer have brotherly bonds? Do they feel fear, sorrow, or vengeance?"

I like to write in my spare time, so critique is always appreciated. Also, as a fair warning, this is a rather long WoT.

Without further ado, I present to you, Finality!

======

[EMERGENCY SECURITY LOG ENTRY #0101101]

[ENTRY BY: LANCER #3751]

Lancer #3751 reporting in. Station 8021 codename “Lua” has been attacked by a small squad of assailants. Indubitably, they are Tenno. As such, I have very little time left before they reach my location. I engaged the hard lockdown to stall their advance, and there is a rather lengthy elevator ride they will have to suffer through in order to reach me. It won’t stop them for long - the spare maintenance keypass is on their side of the door. However, it is my hope that it shall slow them down long enough for me to record what has happened here.

A massacre. A slaughter. Anything but a battle. Those murderous animals seemingly burst from thin air and blasted their way through a quarter of our men before we were even aware of the incursion. When one soldier managed to sound the alarm - seconds before he was electrocuted by some lightning spewing freak - we attempted to mount a defense. We knew the Tenno, we all heard the briefings and the stories, so we thought we were adequately prepared to stave off an attack by them. Evidently, we were wrong.

We rolled out the Grinders to tie up the Tenno while we waited for the Heavies to fully organize themselves. We were all too spread out and disordered from the sudden attack, but we were confident we could regroup. Our Shock Troopers were the first to regroup, pumping their Struns and marching out to their positions completely confident in their assured victory. My squad of standard Lancers was nearly ready. My pod brother, Lancer #3752, was excited about finally facing off against our most deadly enemy. I had my reservations, but he was ready and raring to fight. He jokingly punched my shoulder in an attempt to get me pumped up, so I put on a grin and punched him in turn. Small moments like those reminded me of our first days out of our cloning pods. My fond recollection was abruptly ended, however, by the sounds of battle.

We heard multiple explosions, and upon marching out to investigate we made out what undoubtedly was a ring of fire that had seemingly erupted out of the floor and was decimating our grinders. Shouting out insults, our frontline of Shock Troops opened fire on the figure in the center of the ring. Their aim was true, and their shots would have been fatal, but before they could connect a large dome made of ice formed itself around another Tenno who had just made its appearance. The Shock Troopers’ bullets bounced harmlessly off the dome of ice, wounding nothing but their pride. They kept firing desperately at the impenetrable dome when a third Tenno made itself apparent. It was recognized as the lightning thrower, and upon its entry the three of them started opening fire as they charged the Shock Troopers’ position. As soon as the outcome grew dark, our Heavies marched in, opening fire with their Gorgons and shouting for my squad to open fire as well. The lightning spewer began to levitate in the air, holding its arms out wide. 3752 started to chuckle, ignorant of the impending hell that was about to hit.

As expected, a cacophony of screams filled our ears. Lightning burst forth from the Tenno and swarmed everything and everyone. The once proud Shock Troopers and lumbering Heavies were twitching erratically, holding their hands out and upwards as they choked out their last breath. They were dead before they hit the ground. My squad was saved only by our cowardice, as we were too far away for the lightning to reach us. We collectively turned and ran, panicked and terrified. We were halted by another Tenno who had been behind us for God knows how long. Smoke seeped out of its left arm, which I instantly recognized. My legs began to tremble, but I couldn’t let 3752 see my fear - he was under the impression that we were just retreating to a different location. My squadmates opened fire on the smoking Tenno, desperate and wordlessly crying out for it all to end. I moved to grab my pod brother, so that we could retreat to a safer location and radio for reinforcements. I fiercely grabbed his arm as he was firing on the Tenno and pulled him to the elevator room. I ignored his confused queries and rising anger, praising whatever luck is still watching over us that the elevator was ready to go.

Behind us, we could hear the gut wrenching resonance of my former squadmates being eviscerated one after another. As I turned to look back, I saw the Tenno responsible for the dome of ice standing behind us. Watching us silently behind its damned faceless mask. My pod brother saw it too, and shrugged my grip from his arm before firing upon the Tenno. I tried to grab hold of him again, but before I could move an inch, the Tenno raised its left hand. I wanted to scream for 3752 to duck or roll out of the way, but my words didn’t even have a chance to leave my throat. The Tenno unleashed a blast of frost, and my pod brother took the full force of it while I was shielded by his body. I never figured out whether or not he knew he saved my life, but neither makes remembering what followed any easier.

The smoking Tenno from before, covered from head to toe in the blood of my late squadmates, saw the frozen statue of my brother. If I could see that damn monster's face, I would bet all the rubedo in the galaxy that it was laughing at my brother. It stood in front of my brother, crouching down after a brief moment. I grit my teeth, seething with rage, at what this monster was going to do to my brother. The Tenno grabbed something from its side, and flung it directly at my frozen brother’s face. My brother, the ice instantaneously thawing upon the thrown object’s impact, let out a brief death gurgle before hitting the ceiling and going limp. His body just hung there, like a macabre ceiling decoration. My eyes were teary and my legs were shaking uncontrollably, but I forced myself into the elevator behind me and slammed the controls, starting the descent.

Normally, this particular elevator ride was well hated for being so lengthy. This time though, it felt like hours were passing by. I lost the strength in my legs and collapsed onto the floor. I sobbed, quietly. The image of my brother’s lifeless body hanging from the ceiling mere minutes after having been so excited at fighting the Tenno flashed through my mind. I wanted to mourn, to scream, to cry out against whatever cruel fate forced this upon me, but I still had a job to do. Breathing deeply, I stumbled to my feet in time for the elevator to reach the bottom. Hastily, I made my way to the nearest control panel and sent out the distress call.

I can hear the elevator descending again. I know that my death is behind those doors. The sorrow has left me; the time for mourning is done. When they come for me, I will fight, wielding my Braton and my fury. Should death escape me just long enough, I have a Plasma Grenade ready. One way or another, I will see my brother again.

Watch me, 3752.

[END EMERGENCY SECURITY LOG ENTRY #0101101]

Edited by Katakuna

I'm not one for commenting on content or writing style, I'm more of the Internet Pedant. I apologise if grammar nazi intervention is unwelcome.

"Without further adieu" - I think the word you're looking for is 'Ado'

"He joking punched my shoulder" - He jokingLY punched

I also think you should capitalise weapon names like Strun, Plasma Grenade and Braton, to keep consistent with capitalisation on Gorgon.

P.S.: This speaks out to me on a personal level....

Because I know exactly how the Ash must have felt. I love making frozen statues and taking pictures of them.

By the way #3751, do you recognise any of these two? They're my most favorite of my gallery. ;D

auQ7QmP.jpg

Edited by Shion963

• 3 weeks later...

Ahaha, very much enjoyed this piece. I don't suppose many of us consider the Grineer exactly... human with their deformed faces, bionic suits, and near-beastial behavior. An easy way to make people feel negative emotions towards another sentient entity is to dehumanize it as much as possible, and vice versa. Do like what you did here, giving the Grineer a touch of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

How would it go, if we found out that we were the bad guys all along. God i hope Lotus is the last boss of the game. (she is getting on my nerve)

That's the belief I maintained pretty much since I started playing this game. That we're the bad guys, or we're manipulated victims of the Lotus. I'd love it if that theory ended up being true.

They are no longer quite human, it is true. But they deserve our respect. I have slain many Grineer, and I will slay more. But I will enver laugh at them, never dishonor them. They could be our allies, perhaps one day even be restored to true humanity.

It is a fragile hope, it is true, but there is little else for them. But they too are hurt by Lotus's cruel tactics.

Thank you, my brethren, for relating the tale of this poor man.

-the bliind prophet

This is so well written, i want to make fan art for it :D

in time i will

Truly shows that even the most brutal of soldiers have there weaknesses too.

I'm glad my work could inspire artistry; I would love to see it if/when you make it.