Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Both Male And Female Versions Of Each Warframe?

Zethurus

Been playing a few warframes and i just dont feel them they look like organic spandex suits ive only noticed trinity to have a distinct looking skirt but even she looks a bit wierd, why dont the developer just add customisation to the warframes to make them unique to the player right now majority of warframes look plain and stiff, Add some armor shoulder pads maybe something to make warframes unique.

Don't worry guys. All in due time my friend. All in due time~

We are still in CB and anything is possible so don't you worry your lito Tenno head~

Just be patient thats all I can say for you all~

Not sure if you've watched the livestream Q&A from yesterday but Scott pretty much said "you get what we give you, period" while Steve nodded, I'm paraphrasing of course but that's the impression I got from that bit at 0:38:15

I paid $250 for this game lol kinda regreting it now...

I was hoping to upgrade to Grandmaster but changed my mind after hearing Scott's stance on Genderswap, you're not alone :/

Though they haven't said much about customisation in general aside from Genderswap, only mentioned colour palettes. So, stay hopeful.

Edited by CapricaSix

Not sure if you've watched the livestream Q&A from yesterday but Scott pretty much said "you get what we give you, period" while Steve nodded, I'm paraphrasing of course but that's the impression I got from that bit at 0:38:15

Yes I watched the Livestream while they were drinking their beers~

haha, well I'm more optimistic, don't try to think he's saying "we're not listening to you guys"~

"and we're making only what we want"~

you gotta admit that they can't make everything but they sure try to listen and build on some opinions~

they can't please everyone with all the requests that are barfed out you know~?

in all honesty I'm just glad about this game and how great it is so far~

plus it's Freeeeeeeee to play, not P2P like all the other great games I've seen that I wanted to play but stray away from~

haha, well I'm more optimistic, don't try to think he's saying "we're not listening to you guys"~

"and we're making only what we want"~

No, of course not, but regarding the Genderswap he did pretty much say what I quoted earlier. And it's not a "barfed out" request either, many people want this while the rest just "don't mind it", there's absolutely no downside to having more customisation options other than some time and effort of the staff, and personally I believe it's worth the effort.

It's basically just an alternate model to each warframe just like picking a new helmet. Excalibur already has a female model and so does Ember {used to be male, in case you didn't know}, give the rest of them the same option and the Genderswap is done. It will mean the team will have to make 2 models everytime there's a new warframe.. but then why not?

Not to mention the whole Genderswap feature was hinted as being worked on in Update #6 I believe. Sounds like they've just scrapped the whole idea and shelved it as a "possible future improvement".

Edited by CapricaSix

No, of course not, but regarding the Genderswap he did pretty much say what I quoted earlier. And it's not a "barfed out" request either, many people want this while the rest just "don't mind it", there's absolutely no downside to having more customisation options other than some time and effort of the staff, and personally I believe it's worth the effort.

It's basically just an alternate model to each warframe just like picking a new helmet. Excalibur already has a female model and so does Ember {used to be male, in case you didn't know}, give the rest of them the same option and the Genderswap is done. It will mean the team will have to make 2 models everytime there's a new warframe.. but then why not?

Well you never know what the future holds. Things change and opinions change~

until I see staff state that they will never have the changes and start locking threads to stop people asking like they do with PVP threads~

then it'll be a definite notion that it will never happen~

but lets say this also. There's prolly a reason why they don't want a genderswap~

maybe they got some kinda story in the background that they are plotting~

they did say they were going to drop the lore background into the game so it starts making sense~

everything has a reason of why they can't do something haha~

The problem with genderswap is - devs would have to basically design an all-new warframe for every existing one. You may think "oh it's not that much of a work! just slap some milk glands/codpiece on and be done with it!", but decent 3D-modelling is hard and time-consuming. And the time devs would have to waste on creating this alternative models is the time not spend on creating something new instead. If I had to choose between making two genderswap versions or creating one new and unique waframe I would definitely choose the latter.

Also. I think it would be wiser to have this discussion after the lore is implemented more thoroughly. For all we know Tenno could be genderless digital consciousnesses, downloaded into the waframes, that are assigned genders through some future feng-shui rituals saying "Fire must be female. Ice must be male" or something like that.

Edited by FedorHooch

Also. I think it would be wiser to have this discussion after the lore is implemented more thoroughly. For all we know Tenno could be genderless digital consciousnesses, downloaded into the waframes, that are assigned genders through some future feng-shui rituals saying "Fire must be female. Ice must be male" or something like that.

Anything to silence the pro-genderswap side would be fantastic. I actually clapped when Scott took his stand against the matter.

But to address the OP, more custimization options are on the way (as talked about in the livestream), just not genderswaps.

I realy like the looks of all the warframes I've aquired by now, with the exception of Ember. I don't like the standard helmet... and the alternative helmet looks nice but does not fit the overall feel of the rest of the model for some reason. All in all i realy enjoy the 'organic spandex' look.... one thing i don't need are exaggerated pauldrons/armored shoulder pad.. realy... they are overdone by pretty much every other fantasy and sci-fi game and many warframes already feature shoulder armor. Ash and Rhino for example... or the heavier armored left shoulder of Loki, etc.

Of course i will not QQ if they introduce them as optional visual customization. It's just something I realy don't miss at all.

The problem with genderswap is - devs would have to basically design an all-new warframe for every existing one. You may think "oh it's not that much of a work! just slap some milk glands/codpiece on and be done with it!",

I'd love a codpiece on my warframe~

kinda like how Jehuty's "Cockpit" codpiece~ >.>

yet the AI was actually female if you get my drift~

I always questioned if it was a male frame or a female frame~

but then again.....it's a machine~!

Jehuty1.jpg

Anything to silence the pro-genderswap side would be fantastic. I actually clapped when Scott took his stand against the matter.

Not going to happen, I and hopefully others will keep complaining about it until we get a clear answer like "no, never going to happen". In which case I'll just respond with my wallet and stop purchasing things.

The lack of genderswap won't make me quit the game but I think opposing such a suggestion is quite ridiculous, what's it to anyone if people want more options really, Genderswap means you'll get to choose the gender of your warframe, it doesn't mean you'll be forced to play a female Volt or a male Ember, so again, what's it to you really? Care to explain?

Using lore against the idea seems nothing more than a poor excuse to me personally. We have female and male warframes, anyone who played the game can see that, period.

PS: I apologise if I seemed aggressive in any way, it was only aimed at Katakuna's unnecessarily provocative response on the topic. It was something I was quite looking forward to for a long time now, even started collecting all the warframes just for that reason, now I've lost any motivation to play with more than 2-3 of my warframes, that is all.

Edited by CapricaSix

Not going to happen, I and hopefully others will keep complaining about it until we get a clear answer like "no, never going to happen". In which case I'll just respond with my wallet and stop purchasing things.

The lack of genderswap won't make me quit the game but I think opposing such a suggestion is quite ridiculous, what's it to anyone if people want more options really, Genderswap means you'll get to choose the gender of your warframe, it doesn't mean you'll be forced to play a female Volt or a male Ember, so again, what's it to you really? Care to explain?

Using lore against the idea seems nothing more than a poor excuse to me personally. We have female and male warframes, anyone who played the game can see that, period.

PS: I apologise if I seemed aggressive in any way, it was only aimed at Katakuna's unnecessarily provocative response on the topic. It was something I was quite looking forward to for a long time now, even started collecting all the warframes just for that reason, now I've lost any motivation to play with more than 2-3 of my warframes, that is all.

(No offence taken from your tone btw)

I do feel its rude to be continuously pressing the developers for "Pro-GenderSwap" in the face of more practical ideas.

Rather than cosmetics, the DE_Team is still working hard on the actual core mechanics of the game: Movement, Weapons, Missions, Skills.

I understand on the idea of "Let them see what the community wants", but i feel it would be better as a whole on the idea of "Let them flesh and solidify the foundations of the game before putting the nice-looking details"

(No offence taken from your tone btw)

I do feel its rude to be continuously pressing the developers for "Pro-GenderSwap" in the face of more practical ideas.

Rather than cosmetics, the DE_Team is still working hard on the actual core mechanics of the game: Movement, Weapons, Missions, Skills.

I understand on the idea of "Let them see what the community wants", but i feel it would be better as a whole on the idea of "Let them flesh and solidify the foundations of the game before putting the nice-looking details"

I really don't understand all this talk about pro/anti-genderswap thing, we aren't talking about something as game changing as PVP, I really don't see what's the big deal. That being said I do agree with you, there are many more important things to look at first and bugs to fix, these things should come first before customisation and Genderswap {and even the "pets" they will add in the Update#7!}, but as long as we do get it eventually.

It's not so much about entitlement or spamming devs to death, but rather getting a clear answer on their stance towards it, just so we'll know whether to wait for it or grumble in disappointment with "whatever they throw at us" as DEScott implied. Same thing could be said about PVP actually even though these things are completely unrelated, many people are waiting for certain features to be implemented and to decide whether to invest more time and/or money in the game or not, be it PVP or customisation or anything else. We'll have to wait and see at the end of course.

I rather like the way of thinking that each Warframe is that of a unique "Champion", and everything about them, including gender, is what makes them stand out. Genderswap is a nice, pretty idea that really isn't important; a person who hinges their enjoyment on it is not going to have a fun time in a lot of games.

Edited by G3rman

Personally, I still don't like how DE treat the crafting process. We craft each frame from different part and our Tenno suddenly change his/her gender to fit the frame's design? I don't know, we need more lore to confirm that Tenno have gender or not. Right now, I treat each of them as a different individual. An avatar of vengeance.

Back to the topic, I think the future customization in term of how your frame look loke will be the lootable frame part like the helmet. However, I rather like the animalistic design DE have been making thus far. Treat clothing as a part of armor like Frost or Rhino is pretty slick imo.

Edited by neKroMancer

I rather like the way of thinking that each Warframe is that of a unique "Champion", and everything about them, including gender, is what makes them stand out. Genderswap is a nice, pretty idea that really isn't important; a person who hinges their enjoyment on it is not going to have a fun time in a lot of games.

Some enjoy customisation, some enjoy solo story modes, some simply love grinding for mats and crafting stuff forever and some love nothing but PVP.

Personally I always look forward to making my own characters, my own weapons, my own options, I don't even use the default keys, ever. That is how I have a fun time in my games, not just pure action. Look at Blacklight Retribution for example, without the extensive weapon customisation it's just another bland online shooter. APB Reloaded, without in-depth character customisation it's just another failed GTA-clone. GTA 4 vs Saints Row 3? Definitely Saints Row 3 only because of customisation. That's just me though, as I said I like having options, trivial or not.

And just for the sake of the argument, I don't believe Genderswap on its own would be nearly enough, but it's a good start and better than nothing.

Edited by CapricaSix

I like customization, but genderswap in my opinion takes away something from each frame.

We'll just have to agree to disagree in that case. I feel that -aside from unique skills- all the warframes are pretty much the same, we can all use the same weapons, we have more or less the same amount of upgrades, we can all do the same things. A mere genderswap won't ruin the game and wreck the lore. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

A mere genderswap won't ruin the game and wreck the lore.

If they built it in a certain way, yes it could.

For example, in Warhammer 40,000, the "Space Elves" have military aspect temples that each have a certain purpose or specialization their soldiers offer on the battlefield. Howling Banshees for example are an only female group of melee warriors, whereas the Striking Scorpions are predominantly male because of the required physique. These aspects are built this way based around the Gods and Goddesses they spawned from as well as other Eldar (Space Elf) lore, and mixing genders just does not happen (unless fans do it to try and be unique, its still non-canon).

Edited by G3rman

If they built it in a certain way, yes it could.

For example, in Warhammer 40,000, the "Space Elves" have military aspect temples that each have a certain purpose or specialization their soldiers offer on the battlefield. Howling Banshees for example are an only female group of melee warriors, whereas the Striking Scorpions are predominantly male because of the required physique. These aspects are built this way based around the Gods and Goddesses they spawned from as well as other Eldar (Space Elf) lore, and mixing genders just does not happen (unless fans do it to try and be unique, its still non-canon).

The issue with the gender swapping in this game is that we're supposed to be playing an individual, not several different persons. We're told that we're A Tenno that has been awoken and should seek to master the different warframes. If the warframes are meant to be suits, then it makes more sense that we would retain our gender when we swap frames.

If the genders are locked for each frame, then it brings to question who exactly we are. Are we assuming the role of a single person, or are we a third party, merely observing the experiences of the Tenno characters we take control of during missions? Are the Tenno actually people in suits, or are we meta-physical consciousness' that are contained in pre-set physical forms called a warframe?

Even in the live stream, when they were discussing the game's lore, it was brought up that they want us to each have a personal story. Well which person would the story be for, if we're expected to assume we're 10 different people? If each frame is a different person, then will we be getting a different "personal" story for each individual?

They said they didn't want to half-&#! this, and I hope they meant it.

Edited by Ryme