Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Easily Break Down Language Barriers

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

I know that in this world language barriers aren't always a problem but sometimes they can be. In a co-op game when they are they are a huge problem.

On certain key press a small menu in the corner pops up with numbers similar to the way CS does it.

You can then press relative key to choose the command you want to give to your teammates. What this does in turn is give them the command in the language chosen by them. So on my screen it will appear in english but player 2 could see it in french and player 3 in russian. This way they know exactly what you are planning and/or want them to do.

Suggestions

1.Thanks!

2.Spread out.

3.Stay together please!

4.Need back up here please!

5.Watch out for the cryopod/life support!

6.Camp here!

7.The G3/Stalker/Harvester is here for me.

8.Waypoint resources/mods/beacons please

9.Please stay close to objective.

Of course some are silly and not necessarily useful but you get the idea.

Additionally so people don't spam them they can only use command once every 30 seconds or so, except for some urgent ones like number 5 which can be used within the 30 second time except only once.

Additionally this pops up in the middle next to the chat with the icon and name of hte player (not blocking the main view or the chat itself.

Good? What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

Hey guys,

I know that in this world language barriers aren't always a problem but sometimes they can be. In a co-op game when they are they are a huge problem.

On certain key press a small menu in the corner pops up with numbers similar to the way CS does it.

You can then press relative key to choose the command you want to give to your teammates. What this does in turn is give them the command in the language chosen by them. So on my screen it will appear in english but player 2 could see it in french and player 3 in russian. This way they know exactly what you are planning and/or want them to do.

Suggestions

1.Thanks!

2.Spread out.

3.Stay together please!

4.Need back up here please!

5.Watch out for the cryopod/life support!

6.Camp here!

7.The G3/Stalker/Harvester is here for me.

8.Waypoint resources/mods/beacons please

9.Please stay close to objective.

Of course some are silly and not necessarily useful but you get the idea.

Additionally so people don't spam them they can only use command once every 30 seconds or so, except for some urgent ones like number 5 which can be used within the 30 second time except only once.

Additionally this pops up in the middle next to the chat with the icon and name of hte player (not blocking the main view or the chat itself.

Good? What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

its an idea yeah. and i 100% support it.

but there was another idea that is actually pretty good used in a different game

a few of you might have heard of PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2) and how its release in america has been delayed and forgotten as it grows in popularity in japan.

the english players like myself who are bored of w8ing joined the game using the pso2 tweaker mod to translate the in game files.

the issue? we couldnt understand what the 90% japanese playerbase was saying.  and vice versa.

so this was created.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204921

its a small program that watches the in game chat, and when it sees someone talk it runs the message through google translate and shows it to you in a transparent chat screen which floats over the game window(and you can move it around)

it is also possible for japanese players to use this to translate english to kanji for them.  and my team (60% japanese speaking, 30% english, 10% bi-lingual) has used this to get along and have fun.

yes it has alot of bumps in translation but its enough to get the point across.

if digital extremes or some modder(as this doesnt mess with the game files, its a seperate program that just watches your chat window) wants to convert this to warframe and expand it to include a detect language setting(which google translate automatically does) then it would go a long way into helping us get along with non english speaking people.

its worked for 2 years in PSO2, (even during the periods of time when the game devs were banning non japanese IP addresses...long story short the japanese playerbase who had friends overseas got &!$$ed at this, told the main game developer. and he literally removed all the bans- he had never agreed and was never informed the bans were going on-.   its still in ToS that we can't play, but no one stops us as we bring in revenue)

the window doesnt interefere with the game, but is smart enough to recognize when a player chats (which it translates) and when a npc talks(which it doesnt translate or post because this is already translated by pso2 tweaker)

its a smart little program.

Edited by Amberpaw

Back when I played Monster Hunter Tri the servers were split between America and Europe/ Australia. Comeing from an English Speaking Nation ( Australia)  it was certainly a  wake up call. Not everyone speaks your language as a result I had to be a bit proactive and understand what I could. 

Story time aside This is a a feature that should be added for everyone's convenience and I support This. Perhaps the quick chat list could also change depending on mission type eg Survival, Rescue, Interception. Communication is key especially in co-operative games.

The problem with that is that console players cannot do that and the game should provide the tools for that to happen. Also what about the people with slower internet speed?

well, for console players DE could actually develop it as consoles CAN connect to google.  most stuff can nowadays.

as for people with slower internet speed, the program doesn't really use much. if you have a slow internet your not going to notice a difference because warframe is already gonna be laggy for you.

its essentially like having fraps on,  except not recording (aka your just using fraps to see the fps in the corner of the screen) thats how much cpu/ram/bandwidth it uses.

if it is concerning, you could make it optional.

The problem with that is that console players cannot do that and the game should provide the tools for that to happen. Also what about the people with slower internet speed?

Or you could learn to speak Esperanto.

though this is not only about multi-language issues (we all may learn even, eg, couple grineer phrases for international communication), but about fast-typing too. you know: press "t" (or whatever) , then press one or two buttons aaaaand here it is: phrase, move, point, sound icon, etc.

Yes, lots of other team-based games have similar features. These don't necessarily need to be voiced, since tenno don't speak. Would still be nice.

they could make it so there are cut scenes in like we see the locus or stalker do.

there would be a 30 sec thing to prevent spam.

or, we could make it so instead of a message, the tenno make a signal with thier hands/arms like waving forward and such

Guest Tehnoobshow

I miss my radio messages from cstrike/teamfortress.

"UNDER HEAVE FIRE"

"FALL BACK!"

Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!Need a dispenser here!