Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Fix U14 :)

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

First off the chest: I LOVE IT!

I can't wait to play against the new infested and get my Kubrow and all the other good stuff :D

However, as the devs mentioned in the stream it does need fixing before it can be thought of as perfect, it being the biggest change in any one update it needs quite a few updates and hotfixes but that's why we are here :)

Ok so let's get started.

UI

The new UI is sleek and clean and easy to follow, my main concern however is how long it takes to use, of course we need to get used to it. Here are some things that can be and should be changed

Star Chart Navigation

Since it has been changed it is not necessarily worse or better but it certainly needs to display some more information.

Planet Name and Information

All of the planets need to be initially tagged with their names so we know what and where they are. Upon hovering them they also need to display the description of said planet and the resources it drops.

Here is an example:

vy1f6c.jpg

*Sorry I play on low res and it is a quick sketch up.

Browsing Planets

The reason the previous UI was intuitive was because you could jump from Mercury to Venus to Earth directly in a few clicks. This can be brought back so when you click a planet you literary zoom in on it, as you rotate you rotate around the planet and not the planet itself and in the background you will be able to see the other planets and click on them directly so you don't have to go back.

For console players there should be a button to quickly go to next planet and so on.

Another quick sketch up:

330fl2x.jpg

General Navigation

So DE hit the nail with how easy it is to navigate however I feel like there are slightly too many clicks.

Instead the menu could pop up upon hovering making it much faster to use.

Here is how it is now if I want to acces my friends list:

2e56w4n.jpg

x6czdy.jpg

Here is how it could be:

2n0pp51.jpg

This should make it much, much faster.

Mission Progress

So checking mission progress and end of mission stats  was a great addition however it needs to be improved with some simple additions.

1. The mission progress should be a one button click pop up similar to how LoL/CS and various other games do it. For PC players TAB is the ideal key, you press it and the menu pops up, you let go and it disappears.

This being a fast paced game you have absolute no time to waste browsing through menus, the current way can remain but this should be an addition.

2. The Mod and Resources collected list does not seem to be able to scroll unless I drag the scroll bar (for me anyway), so I guess that could be a bug that needs to be fixed.

Overall UI and Bugs

Here are some issues found within the UI:

Opacity

So the UI being cleaner is good but there should be some sort of darker (still visible through) background, because if not this is what happens:

289vi1e.jpg

^Yeah quite the cluster fudge

Clipping bug

I already posted about this in megathread but now I also have 2 screenshots. This occurs with codex images clipping through the walls of the ship.

2zhe0q0.jpg

2w67402.jpg

Foundry

The foundry became slightly less intuitive and this is because if I want to check how many resources I have I need to go into components. What needs to happen is that if I have more resources than required to build something it would actually show me how much I have, makes planning easier and quicker.

2h6w0fs.jpg

Lobby

So, the new lobby system just needs some getting used to, otherwise it is pretty great.

Things that need to be more clear is to make it more highlighted so that I know for sure if I am in a lobby or not. Last time I was just modding and suddenly a Mercury mission starts with a guy who has MR 0, out of nowhere :P

Another thing that needs to be done is to make leaving a lobby much quicker, without having to press Esc I should be able to leave just by click my icon.

2jb350g.jpg

Scaling

Some people like it big, others like it small ;)

Really though we should have the option to scale the UI ourselves, personally I want the UI to be much, much smaller because on my monitor it clips out and stuff but I imagine PS4 players would like it to be bigger so it is easier to read etc from a distance.

Moving?

I wasn't really sure what to title this.

Basically make the UI move less when using my mouse, simply because sometimes it feels like I am chasing the buttons themselves.

Consistency

There needs to be more consistency within the UI. For example some stuff still has the buttons and theme of the older UI which was made just before the new UI guys arrived, should go back and make sure the entire UI has one consistent theme, it looks much more professional.

All in all, I am very pleased with the UI but the developers should look more into make it faster, this is a fast paced game (can't stress enough) and the UI needs to reflect that, the Liset is the only place you get to put your feet up as the enemy ships go by :)

Quests and stuff

Personally I think the quests were great because it gave us a purpose, it drove you to do something. You now know WHY you fight Vor, the rest of the bosses should be tied in with some sort of quest to just give you a reason to hate them.

E.g Lepanthis, poor fellow hasn't done anything wrong to me, AFAIK we broke into his house, killed his friends, killed him and all he wanted as a hug :')

Help I'm Confused!

In-between quests and especially after finishing the prologue the player can't help but feel confused as to what each part does, being a new player and all. 

Ordis should explain what each part does whilst doing various other things, so you know why you need that part exactly. Additionally, he should guide you more as a new player, explaining how you activate segments and stuff like that, I know this may treat them like idiots but it is better to have explained everything than leave out something vital.

After the quests the Lotus should say "Tenno, this was just the beginning, there are other forces in the solar system, join the rest in the battle to defeat them!" or something similar. When I finished the prologue, what happened was that it ended with not much clear notice, no guidance that going to Mercury would continue my path to Grand Master :)

Weapon Selection

Now this new weapon selection is perfect and I don't know why I can't wait to get my hands on the new MK1s, maybe cause of the newbie feeling.

My main issue with this was that there should be a menu similar to choosing the frame which is paused so you aren't pressured into picking a weapon in case you might not like it, because there tends to be enemies around which are constantly shooting you so it just seems slightly unfair.

In the rest, everything is great except a few bugs here and there!

Sound

I can see that the sound team worked very hard for this new update and rightfully so.

Upon seeing the changelog with the new dynamic system in place I turned up the music volume so I can actually hear it and I was blown away, so far I only played on Grineer missions but it is so exciting!

Variety!

I think it is safe to say that all that needs to be added right now is a much larger variety of music (it did get quite repetitive) and more of Ordis' dialogues. He is a great character right now only limited by his limited selection of things to say, can't wait to hear more lines.

All in all, other than some bugs great job sound team, the new music really sets the scene.

Liset music

So, the Liset right now feels slightly empty and moderate and I know there are customizations and what not to come but we should get some sort of ambient music as well as maybe slightly getting louder and much stronger as enemy ships go by! :D

My message to DE:

You have delivered a great update and everybody who worked on it should be immensely proud. I for one really enjoy the new ship UI, the quest system and looking forward to play some PVP. You restored faith in the game and I am looking forward to U15 ^^

If I forgot something or will experience new things I will add them in...

Until then, play away! :D

Good? Bad? Suggestions are welcome :)

Edited by noveltyhero

I would also like to add that it would be very nice for all players if they could use the Codex to replay certain quest missions, just for gameplay reasons.

That was happily cracked down by the devs as being a feature in the future (sounds weird to say XD)

• 2 weeks later...

i loved how OP made his criticism very constructive and very well presented. he didn't go out like full hate throttle with all the "what the f*** DE" or "why U14 sucks". threads.

he acknowledged DE's efforts and made suggestions that are in-line with what DE also wants. a win-win for both what the players want and what DE wants for warframe!

+1 OP

I think they should also revert one of their previous fixes or changes to prevent joining an in-progress mission if you haven't already completed the area. While in theory this is something some of the newer planets benefit from, the fact is that later planets can have hour-long wait times for a mission you haven't unlocked. We're almost being punished for progressing by having to deal with incredibly long waiting times to complete a mission and unlock more missions which take even MORE time.

And I also think they should have let me keep that MK-1 Paris even though I am mastery level 4, because that actually felt like a really nice weapon :)

I think they should also revert one of their previous fixes or changes to prevent joining an in-progress mission if you haven't already completed the area. While in theory this is something some of the newer planets benefit from, the fact is that later planets can have hour-long wait times for a mission you haven't unlocked. We're almost being punished for progressing by having to deal with incredibly long waiting times to complete a mission and unlock more missions which take even MORE time.

And I also think they should have let me keep that MK-1 Paris even though I am mastery level 4, because that actually felt like a really nice weapon :)

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean unlocking the planet by alerts? Or being taxied to a planet?

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much NoveltyHero. I thought the number of planets were just reduced to only 4 planets (Mercury,Earth,Venus,Void). But you actually showed me that they weren't reduced, but DE confusingly hid them. So we have to rotate by keys or by clicking and pulling?

I rotate by scrolling up or down (only 1 issue here, the UI forgets which is the last planet you scrolled on if you decide to hover over a planet so if it was the wrong one and you scroll again it begins from Mercury instead of say Ceres), you can also pull using right click I believe, not sure about arrows keys but those are worth a try :)

Seems you play on low settings....ANYWAYS, LUUUVVV UR IDEAS!!!! :DDD

Yeah I do, GPU broke this spring and I am waiting to see nVidia's crazy 800 series with innate DX12 support instead of getting a 700 series, worth the wait :D

Also sometimes playing on lower resolutions and aspect ratios is good if you want to see how others have the game in front of them. Font sizes, icons, graphics etc etc :)

Give this man a potato.
+1

Regarding music, we definitely need more memorable stuff. Just let the composers go crazy!

Stuff like rock 'n' roll filled with drums for Grineer bosses.
A techno/piano combination for Corpus bosses.
And a grand orchestra for Infested.

For void missions... I imagine hearing all sorts of "echos" from the past. Muffled screams from Grineer and Corpus as the neural sentry corrupts them into mindless slaves.

Something like: 

For regular levels, the music is fine. I know the composers will keep adding new stuff to it.

Give this man a potato.

+1

Regarding music, we definitely need more memorable stuff. Just let the composers go crazy!

Stuff like rock 'n' roll filled with drums for Grineer bosses.

A techno/piano combination for Corpus bosses.

And a grand orchestra for Infested.

For void missions... I imagine hearing all sorts of "echos" from the past. Muffled screams from Grineer and Corpus as the neural sentry corrupts them into mindless slaves.

Something like: 

For regular levels, the music is fine. I know the composers will keep adding new stuff to it.

This post is sooo old XD

Quoting myself "I look forward to U15" little did I know! ^^

I really like that idea about void missions, except maybe they can be cinematics (not cutscenes just scripted events) that you hear those so they are more unique than annoying