Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Font

Llyssa

So, was looking at the tenno font... there's 34 non-numeric characters(not including punctuation), and only 26 non-numeric non-punctuation keys on a keyboard. This poses a bit of a problem with translation.

I'm thinking of several various ways to manage to incorporate all 34 sounds, but all of them have awkward issues if made for ease of typing.

I'd rather like some input to try and figure out how to best render it, and perhaps standardize it within the community, so that everyone creating renditions of the font can forego the awkward logistics and focus strictly on aesthetics.

EDIT:

Most logical break down so far:

Format: Keystroke = letter

A = aa

C = ch

D = dh

I = aye

K = kh

N= ng

O= ow

S= sh

T= th

U = aw

Z = zh

a = a

b = b

d = d

e = eh

f = f

g = g

h = h

i = ih

j = j

k = k

l = l

m = m

n = n

o = o

p = p

r = r

s = s

t = t

u = uh

v = v

w = oo

y = ee

z = z

Edited by Llyssa

First up, the break down: Tennobet has 23 consonants and 11 vowel sounds. This alone makes it rather awkward and precludes any obvious or easy assignments.

There's no capitals in the Tenno script, perhaps the Shift+letter could be designed to produce other letters?

There's no capitals in the Tenno script, perhaps the Shift+letter could be designed to produce other letters?

That is an idea, but that still makes things a bit awkward as the divvy(posted above) is 3 A sounds, 2 E sounds, 2 I sounds, 3 O sounds and 1 U sound.

The consonants are a tad easier, since each has a leading letter that's unique... C D K S T Z N. So that's eminently doable--caps being the combo letters.

As Y and W aren't represented as consonants(they are suggested in the primer to be ee and oo, respectively), that could be used to remove 2 vowels from the 11, giving us 9.

However, we're still stuck with 3 a sounds, but only 1 e, 2 I, 2 O, and 1 U....

I suppose transitioning one of the A's to a U would make sense. aw, I suppose? That would mean "pot" is spelled p-U-t, that way. Does that seem liveable/acceptable?

EDIT: The reasoning behind the U would be that words like "bought" and "caught" would be b-U-t and k-U-t.

Edited by Llyssa

That is an idea, but that still makes things a bit awkward as the divvy(posted above) is 3 A sounds, 2 E sounds, 2 I sounds, 3 O sounds and 1 U sound.

The consonants are a tad easier, since each has a leading letter that's unique... C D K S T Z N. So that's eminently doable--caps being the combo letters.

Yeah, it's a little funky, but the only other solution I could think of would be to do what Spanish keyboards do and have the [ key produce an "accent"ed letter - but that doesn't solve the problem nearly as fluidly, imo.

Any way you do it, you will more than likely need to include a "How To" to use it...

I suppose.

Just, if you consider how many fonts exist and how they're all stylized differently... once we have the basic idea, we can go from merely copying DE's font to creating our own.

I mean, tenno comic sans! Think about it! Amazing! Horrifying! All at once! Yet, we know it must exist for sending goofy letters to eachother and ancient party announcements.

So, how do you propose to solve the second problem? The position of the vowels on top of the following consonant?

?That's not really a problem, you merely have to set the kerning right. It already has to be done for korean fonts and musical fonts.

Example:

http://www.1001fonts.com/skull-capz-brk-font.html

skull-capz-brk.regular.png

In this font, each letter is an upper case and each skull that surrounds it is a lower case. Note how there's 3 different skulls on the 3 different L's.

I see. I'm not up to date with these things :)

I really hope a working font can be done :D

Oh, most certainly. I'm about 1/3rd of a way done with my rendition, and there's at least one other I've seen on the forums so far.

I'm thinking that we should perhaps come up with a community standard for all of the fonts and then build a repository of them. This is just step one.

EDIT: I managed to crash my computer without saving... so....rather than 1/2 done with the font, I'm at 0. yay. or something. >.< =(

Edited by Llyssa

• 3 weeks later...

I am just using Tennobet in photoshop atm, fascinated to see it as a font. Guess would be good  to have some kind of Babelfish translator to render it from english to tennospeak and then type the resulting word as a font...or cut n paste in photohsop. Once guide lines are setup and the

bounding boxes uniform it may well be easier to get a good result in photoshop then screwing around with kerning.

I am just using Tennobet in photoshop atm, fascinated to see it as a font. Guess would be good  to have some kind of Babelfish translator to render it from english to tennospeak and then type the resulting word as a font...or cut n paste in photohsop. Once guide lines are setup and the

bounding boxes uniform it may well be easier to get a good result in photoshop then screwing around with kerning.

Same here. I made vector, and then brushes out of all the characters. I'll like to see a tenno font tho. seems like the most challenging part will be the vowel placement. 

Actually, vowel placement is pretty easy(as mentioned earlier). Mainly just need to get back to finishing it up(stalled slightly when I realized the consonant glyphs are almost all overlap, and that making individual ones lost some sense of that)

cwMpFW1.png

This is as far as I was able to get. I couldn't figure out how to make the vowels diagonal, so I just made spaced em Horizontally. I couldn't figure out how to increase the word spacing, but spacebar 3x works like a charm. It's just fine on Notepad but it seems i have to change some settings in word to make the kerning show up.

HKDwM8G.png

You guys overcomplicate it.. lol

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/340866-tennobet-font-package-and-understanding/

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with a bunch of your character placements in the op. But to each his own I guess.

There's your font, enjoy

If there's one thing I've realized so far, its that people use the vowels differently. Even in the official DE examples, I don't agree with their spelling of future. and also they keep switching their 'n's for 'm's