Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Marionette - Shadow/puppeteer Warframe, Collaboration With Tymerc

Morec0

How long has it been since we had a Tank-frame? I imagine the upcoming (accurate of Feb 27, 2015) Dragonframe will fill that roll, but I think we need more Fem-tank-frames. Specifically, I think we need more Fem-tank-frames that work as casters (no, I'm not a Saryn fan, why do you ask?).

Jokes aside, I was theorycrafting with Tymerc and came up with the following frame idea. Credit for the First ability and Augment ideas are completely his, and the rest had a large amount of influence on his part.

======

Marionette:

Health: 120.00 (320.00 at 30)

Power: 100.00 (200.00 at 30)

Armor: 170.00

Shield Capacity: 120.00 (450.00 at 30)

Spring Speed: .8

Stamina: 100

Polarities: 1 Dash, 1 V

Aura: Dash

Abilities:

1 - Puppeteer - Instantly project your consciousness to possess a target enemy within a short range, allowing you to control the enemies' attack and movement directly - you are not able to use abilities or perform certain maneuvers while possessing an enemy. Upon possess-ees death, you will be returned to your body (if you cast Puppeteer while in it) or returned to Shadow-form (if you cast Puppeteer while using Shadow Walk).

Cast the ability again to return to your body or Shadow-form and deal damage to the enemy you were possessing - if you were in Shadow-form before it deals bonus damage.

While away from your Warframe it will act as an NPC on autopilot, staying within a few meters of your current location at all times and attacking with whatever weapons it is carrying (Switch Weapons will switch what they are using).  Your Warframe will continue to be a target, and if it dies you will instantly die as well - however, you are capable of picking it up from Bleedout.

Range: 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 meters

Damage: 150 / 275 / 400 / 525 upon leaving

Bonus Damage: 20 / 40 / 60 / 80

Duration: 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 seconds (or until recast)

Cost: 50

Warframe stays within: 10 meters of target

2 - Dusk Trail - Move your cursor to "paint" the area with a trail of shadow energy that deals damage to any enemies who stand on or above it.  You are able to do so until the duration expires.
Range: 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 meters
Duration: 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 seconds
Damage: 10 / 20 / 25 / 30 per second
Cost: 75

(Improvement Suggested By arch111)
3 - Shadow Lure - Block all light from entering your target's eyes and subtly influence their decisions, causing them to panic and flee in a path of your choosing. Using Dusk Trail while this ability is active will damage the target of Shadow Lure while leaving the trail in the wake of its movement.
Range: 25 / 45 / 60 / 75 meters
Duration: 12 / 24 / 30 / 36 seconds

4 - Shadow Walk - You project your consciousness out into a Shadow-form, making you immune to damage and allowing you to use abilities and move around freely but rendering you unable to use the weapons you were carrying.  Cast this ability again to instantly teleport nearby your body; walk through your body to reclaim it.
While away from your Warframe it will act as an NPC on autopilot, staying within a few meters of your current location at all times and attacking with whatever weapons it is carrying (Switch Weapons will switch what they are using).  Your Warframe will continue to be a target, and if it dies you will instantly die as well - however, you are capable of picking it up from Bleedout.
Cast Time: 2 / 1.75 / 1.50 / 1.25 seconds

Range: Self

Duration: 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 (using Puppeteer pauses this timer)

Warframe stays within: 10 meters of spirit

Codex Entry:  A shadowy figure of domineering might, Marionette plays with both the bodies of her enemies and her own as though they were but puppets.

Physical Description:

Despite being a tank, Marionette has a thin body, perhaps anorexic looking with. She lacks severely-defined curves and only has the most base female appearance. Her arms and legs share this trait, appearing sinewy and lithe, bone with only a bare layer of lithe muscle attacked to it.  On each segment of the arms and legs is broken up by a much-larger "growth" on the frame around the joints, this goes for the shoulders and hips as well.

On the arm and leg segments, as well as on the shoulders and head, is a ring-like rise in the armor, when possessing or in Shadow-form strings of energy come up from these points - resembling the strings of a puppet. her has an key-looking mechanism that only turns when casting an ability. Off of her forearms and lower back trail cloth-like attachments.

Her default helmet is hood-like, but rounded and more fitted to a skull-like shape with the "rim" of the hood coming down to conceal much of the interior, with the ring coming out of a slit in the back of the hood - off of her head. The face is a flat, smooth surface.

Her colors are dark grey, red, and white, with the rings being black. Her default energy is dark blue.

Her idle animations are jumpy and stiff, with the energy strings appearing as she raises her arms and even levitates off of the ground. Her Agile animations move her arms and stretch her about, but keep her on the ground; her Noble animations cause her to lift herself slightly off of the ground while shadowy haze - similar to her Shadow-form - remains below it and looks around.

nV7z4v0.png

Alt. Helmet - Collodi:

The head becomes more cone-shaped, with a break  through it at the top through halfway down, with a hole through it right where this break stops - the energy strings connect here. From the bottom of this cone down is a veil-like cloth that completely obscures the face.

Possible Augments:

Trail-blaze - Dusk Trail - Dusk Trails put on the ground grow larger over time before they dissipate.

Cutting Strings - Puppeteer - Leaving the body possessed by Puppeteer manually knocks the target down.

Jumping Shadows - Shadow Lure - Shadowed Eyes leaps to a nearby target if the original died before the effect ended, lasting for half the previous total duration per jump.

Edited by Morec0

Hmm... an original concept, check. Not just a shadow/darkness/demon frame, check. Pretty interesting powers that can combine, heh, check. Chances it wouldn't be fun to play, hmm... negligible. Yeah, you're authorised for punch captain.

You may regret opening the spoiler.

I WARNED YOU.WyxOs9W.jpg

Edited by Blackout751

I like the idea of a Puppeteer-theme frame, for the abilities part, there's this though

seems too much of a nyx/mirage.

I'm not really seeing the connection to Mirage at all. Nyx, I get: mind-control esq, though Marionette takes a more direct and active approach, and that's just one of her many abilities - and I guess the puppet theme is KINDA Harlequin, but it's a bit of a stretch imo.

Perhaps you could explain in a little more depth.

Hmm... an original concept, check. Not just a shadow/darkness/demon frame, check. Pretty interesting powers that can combine, heh, check. Chances it wouldn't be fun to play, hmm... negligible. Yeah, you're authorised for punch captain.

I WARNED YOU.WyxOs9W.jpg

I did. I most certainly did.

I'm not really seeing the connection to Mirage at all. Nyx, I get: mind-control esq, though Marionette takes a more direct and active approach, and that's just one of her many abilities - and I guess the puppet theme is KINDA Harlequin, but it's a bit of a stretch imo.

Perhaps you could explain in a little more depth.

I meant Nyx, sorry, forgot to erase the Mirage part

This is like a creepy wraith toying with the living. The description feel similar to Nekros, but hey kind of hard to avoid.

The string-symbolism I like, just not sure the esthetics are enough. Puppeteers can allso be linked with vodoo-doll weilders though? Perhaps carrying dolls and strings in the warframe, and jars to trap the souls?

Now Im just rambling :)

The third power seem out of character though, blindness and panic we got.

How about making the enemy flee in the direction YOU want them to? Could make for some funny and useful situations.

This is like a creepy wraith toying with the living. The description feel similar to Nekros, but hey kind of hard to avoid.

The string-symbolism I like, just not sure the esthetics are enough. Puppeteers can allso be linked with vodoo-doll weilders though? Perhaps carrying dolls and strings in the warframe, and jars to trap the souls?

Now Im just rambling :)

The third power seem out of character though, blindness and panic we got.

How about making the enemy flee in the direction YOU want them to? Could make for some funny and useful situations.

Well the intention with this character is for it to be both a shadow AND puppeteer character - hence Dusk trail and the spirity Shadow-form. I wanted to avoid it being JUST a "shadow frame" or JUST a "puppeteer frame" and so combined the two into something a touch more unique than a simple one-stroke design element. 

Similarly I wanted to avoid a too-heavy association with a singular motif in the physical description, hence the much more first-gen minimalist design in her appearance. I wanted to invoke a sense of the Tenno user as the puppeteer and while BOTH the Warframe and enemies she encountered at the puppets - hence the string attachments for the Warframe as well as enemies.

I LIKE that shadowy "flee in this direction!" idea, it ties in nicely with her Dusk Trail ability - even if managing both might be a little tricky.

Edited by Morec0

You know what? How about a warframe version of the Dementors from Harry Potter for a visual representation.

I know the two differ, but they are allso quite similar; ripped robes, smooth bony features, hood and creepy as hell.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what? How about a warframe version of the Dementors from Harry Potter for a visual representation.

I know the two differ, but they are allso quite similar; ripped robes, smooth bony features, hood and creepy as hell.

I could get behind that. It's, actually, rather similar to sort of how I'm picturing and poorly-described Marionette in my head - albeit with cloth effects being less everywhere on the body and more in specific locations (the sleeves, hood, ect.).

YES! Finally!! I have actually been waiting for someone to do this frame, I kept thinking of doing something like this, but kept stopping myself because Idk.. XD I figured somebody would do it. Anyways I am all up for this idea.

Nice concept! Even though it does kinda seem like a mix of Nyx/Mirage/Limbo, I think you've done it in such a way that makes it still unique.  I personally would love to play this frame :P

I WARNED YOU.WyxOs9W.jpg

So I'm not the only one who immediately though of the Puppet from FNAF 2 after seeing this warframe concept? :3

Nice concept! Even though it does kinda seem like a mix of Nyx/Mirage/Limbo, I think you've done it in such a way that makes it still unique.  I personally would love to play this frame :P

So I'm not the only one who immediately though of the Puppet from FNAF 2 after seeing this warframe concept? :3

The Nyx I kinda see, recognized it early on, but continue to feel there's such a MASSIVE difference between how Puppeteer works compared to Mind Control that it doesn't matter; the Mirage... less so, I guess physically there's something of a similarity, but that's my S#&$ descriptory skill for you; Limbo I'll admit was quite a bit of an inspiration.

I'm really big on the idea of having abilities that you layer on top of one another or are able to use together to leader to greater effect (with my most direct creation with this being the summoning frame Magus) and Limbo's Rift Walk, imo, is a step in that direction - which I consider to be a great move.

I suppose I can see what people are on about with the Puppet... maybe I shoulda made it's alt helmet a mask like that? Or that "Comedy-Tragedy" theater mask symbol?

Edited by Morec0

• 4 months later...

OK, let's start this. This reminded me of a frame concept. It's name was Noire and one of his moves used shadows. He is more of a darkness and void frame than a puppeteer but anyways ....

his first power was Clout (sway/control/influence) where his shadow would connect to the enemy pointed at and it would become your servant (flying enemies get a black mist on them) (Noire gains shield if used on corpus, dmg from infested and armor from grineer)    THIS RUNS OUT after 15, 20 and 30 secs

2nd power is maelstrom (whirlpool/vortex) which would create several black holes around him reflecting damage back at enemies (DoT) depending on enemies, shoots fire back at grineer, energy at corpus and slash dmg to infested

3rd power is Shadow disarray. It is a radial ability in which Noire's shadow spreads to near enemies keeping them in his control and shielding around his body from other enemies when used with Clout disarrayed enemies will take your dmg

THIS GOES UNTIL YOU RUN OUT OF Energy or servant dies

Ult/4th is Conveging Cyclone. Noire casts vortexes that come together and go on the floor around him. It exoands and any enemy that stands on it get severly damaged (DoT starts strong and gets stronger)

anyways Noire was just an idea but if you want i can draw you concept for you, just give specifications ;)