Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Handspring Shouldn't Be A Mod

CosyPigeon

It should be a basic part of being a Tenno space ninja who can wall run, blackflip, etc. Doing a recovery maneuver should simply cost stamina and be a button combination, like block + jump or something. 

All of the other warframe mods increase a stat for your warframe, this mod on the other hand feels like a shallow cash grab. It very much feels like the conversation went like this: "Hey you know that thing players have been complaining about forever and that should be a game play mechanic that would require skill and be awesome? Lets just make it a mod instead and use it to sell platinum packs."

I'm more than happy to spend money on this game, but when some pretty obvious game play design is sacrificed for the sake of attempting to get people to purchase mods, it's frustrating. 

This. This so much.

Handspring should be a default ability for all Warframes that everyone has. The animation is pretty cool and all but it shouldn't be a mod.

Remove it, give all Warframes the ability to recover from the ground faster, and reimburse everyone a random rare (or a Thunderbolt) IMO.

EDIT: I'd make the handspring animation simply "press jump while on the ground". Simple, intuitive, and reasonable.

Edited by MJ12

Though I do not agree with OP's argument of it being a way for cash-grab since the mod is obtainable via drops which is random and the purchase of mods via plat is also random,

I agree that this should not be a mod but a combat maneuver that requires precision timing in execution instead.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

I'm more surprised that people actually buy mods instead of just playing the game and finding them naturally. Moreover, given the situational nature of this mod (you learn to not put yourself in positions where you get knocked down repeatedly, so long as the host isn't lagging) coupled with its high slot cost, I honestly don't see why anyone would use this over alternatives.

Yes, faster knockdown recovery should be its own stamina-consuming ability, perhaps with its animation time correlating to sprint speed (Ash and Loki should naturally recover faster than, say, Rhino). However, this would require an entirely new animation being implemented for all Warframes, which may take quite some time.

Perfect solution is really to just flying-kick the stupid guys that knock you to the ground. At least the Grineer ones I know for a fact it works on. Flying-kick them and they drop to the ground, where you can spray a ton of rounds into their faces before they get up and even attempt to do their AoE-knockdown crap.

I'm more surprised that people actually buy mods instead of just playing the game and finding them naturally. Moreover, given the situational nature of this mod (you learn to not put yourself in positions where you get knocked down repeatedly, so long as the host isn't lagging) coupled with its high slot cost, I honestly don't see why anyone would use this over alternatives.

Yes, faster knockdown recovery should be its own stamina-consuming ability, perhaps with its animation time correlating to sprint speed (Ash and Loki should naturally recover faster than, say, Rhino). However, this would require an entirely new animation being implemented for all Warframes, which may take quite some time.

I'm pretty sure Handspring actually uses a different animation (and is compatible with all Warframes) so it wouldn't take any time to reanimate the Warframes if this became a standard combat maneuver.

Though I do not agree with OP's argument of it being a way for cash-grab since the mod is obtainable via drops which is random and the purchase of mods via plat is also random,

The new platinum packs in the store come with free copies of this specific mod. Hence the cash grab argument. 

I'm pretty sure Handspring actually uses a different animation (and is compatible with all Warframes) so it wouldn't take any time to reanimate the Warframes if this became a standard combat maneuver.

It seems that you're right; I just looked it up on youtube: 

I'm not terribly impressed with the animation, though. It's not really a handspring like the mod's picture would imply - more along the lines of a slightly modified recovery animation that already exists.

Also, I know someone is going to come in outraged about the OP suggesting this is a cash grab, so let me just head that off: it doesn't matter. Whether this was a cash grab, a poor design decision, or Tim the intern sneaking onto people's computers and editing code is completely irrelevant to the fact that this really, really shouldn't be a mod.

I see what DE is doing: they're taking design elements that the community has pointed out as being annoying or incorrect, and then creating mods that address those complaints rather than actually fixing bad design choices.

I'm not making a judgement call as to whether it is right or wrong to do it that way, just pointing out what's going on. Maybe they're running out of good ideas for Mods.

Players want something more skill-based, and the current mod claims itself to be a handspring, but the animation clearly isn't. Why not do away with the mod and mix the two concepts? We already have a perfectly good back handspring animation being used as the backwards dodge. There could be a very narrow window in which pressing jump right as you're getting knocked down could shift your Warframe into the back handspring animation to recover from the blow with a moderate stamina drain.

Thoughts?

really shouldn't be a mod.

totally agreed. 

I don't think it cash grab either but what can i sacrifice to install that mod? it useful and cool but not as much as shield or armor buffs for example. 

I vote that it should be a stamina skill.

I don't mind it being a mod since it's a step towards having different playstyles, but there's two big problems with it.

1. It stands out because currently it's the only non-stat Frame mod.

2. It's high cost and basic utility makes it pretty useless.

In the future if they add more mods like this (stuff like able to rebound off walls, double jump (curl and flip in midair for a little more height), % chance of auto-blocking whatever) then it might work. I'm guessing they're trying to make mods less "simple stat increases" and rather actual modifiers to playstyle, which is something I prefer. Really tired of more damage, more health, more energy, more reload and whatever.

In the future if they add more mods like this (stuff like able to rebound off walls, double jump (curl and flip in midair for a little more height), % chance of auto-blocking whatever) then it might work. I'm guessing they're trying to make mods less "simple stat increases" and rather actual modifiers to playstyle, which is something I prefer. Really tired of more damage, more health, more energy, more reload and whatever.

Good point. 

I like idea of different play-styles but vz high leveled mobs double jump will not save you like more health...

I don't mind it being a mod since it's a step towards having different playstyles, but there's two big problems with it.

1. It stands out because currently it's the only non-stat Frame mod.

2. It's high cost and basic utility makes it pretty useless.

+1

I think this kind of mods should have the ability / power polarity. Because those slots on a warframe are a hinderence to me most of the time.

I disagree with the premise. Every warframe already has the ability to 'handspring.' It's called getting up after being knocked down. The additional animation opened up by this mod is no different than an electricity, fire, or ice effect added to your weapon.

It speeds up something that's already there, adds a slight animation change, and adds a bit of a change to playstyle. Like every other mod. It doesn't massively change playing. Remember that you can avoid being knocked down in the first place. Remember that you can shoot/kick/stab/smash the thing doing the knockdown.

Or get knocked down, and get up faster with a mod. (Do you know that most people don't know how to block? The retribution mod is great for raising awareness of this feature and giving a melee-oriented play style to people who might otherwise not try it. De-weapon some Grineer with Mag and test it out! Or go find some Infested and shock 'em up!)

Edited by Gibblemung

I disagree with the premise. Every warframe already has the ability to 'handspring.' It's called getting up after being knocked down. The additional animation opened up by this mod is no different than an electricity, fire, or ice effect added to your weapon.

It speeds up something that's already there, adds a slight animation change, and adds a bit of a change to playstyle. Like every other mod. It doesn't massively change playing. Remember that you can avoid being knocked down in the first place. Remember that you can shoot/kick/stab/smash the thing doing the knockdown.

First of all, the war frames don't handspring with out the mod. They get up to their feet slower than my grandfather. Second of all, despite what you say, no other warframe mod functions in the same way, all of the other mods increase an exisiting stat by either a percentage or a numerical value.

Handspring grants you access to a mechanic (getting up without being slow). All of the other mods improve stats. You shouldn't need a mod to handspring, just like you shouldn't need a mod to wall run, or slide, or somersault. Hand spring should be a game play mechanic. Game play mechanics should not be limited to mods. 

Perfect solution is really to just flying-kick the stupid guys that knock you to the ground. At least the Grineer ones I know for a fact it works on. Flying-kick them and they drop to the ground, where you can spray a ton of rounds into their faces before they get up and even attempt to do their AoE-knockdown crap.

This is exactly how it should go. It's just too bad that shield lancers sometimes shieldbash you in mid-kick, and heavies almost always manage to shockwave you before you can even touch them.

Handspring grants you access to a mechanic (getting up without being slow). All of the other mods improve stats. You shouldn't need a mod to handspring, just like you shouldn't need a mod to wall run, or slide, or somersault. Hand spring should be a game play mechanic. Game play mechanics should not be limited to mods. 

Best point of the whole thread which sums up everything that needs to be stated.

I do see this as a money grab AND a waste of a mod slot. Unnecessary. Bad move DE. Unless you add a new section for fancy ability mods (which I wouldn't be against actually), completely separate from the normal mods, this should be rethought - mod rarity and implementation.

Edited by Naith