Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Small (Large) Change In Underpowered Mods In General

Zeyez

i don't know about you, but everybody that played Warframe know the issues of the mods, unbalanced mods, restricting your array of choices to few less than 33% of them, letting others mods as "credit fodders" or "low-grade fusion core"

so i tried to change its values, somewhat compesating theses mods, one by one, giving some unique utility or raising its stats... maybe i don't have covered all underpowered mods and Archwing mods, so i wish someone to point them if needed

part of what i did here are scattered between some topics around (inspired to contribute to it or by myself), so i'm putting all together and reviewing some forgotten mods, putting in right place...

say what you think of it (of course, after look in the spoiler part)

warning, wall of information, with risk of overloading yourself (or maybe not, I joined some similar mods in one suggestion)

let's start with the joke mod

Intruder: Instead of giving only extra seconds to hack, give some additional effects

- for everything

from rank 2, each level give 5% chances to auto-hack (like using cipher, without waste the cipher) [max 20%] {doesn't work in the Spy's data terminal}

each level, reduce the perception's range of the enemies at unalerted state by 5% [max 30%] {only works on yourself}

at max rank, reduce one difficulty level of the hacking game

in spy missions, each level give 1 additional second before the data being purged (can stack in team) [max 6-24 seconds]

in mobile defense, each level reduce the timer to extract the data at each terminal by 2% (can stack in team) [max 12-48%] {make Lotus works faster, because she is too lazy playing tic-tac-toe/sollitaire/chess...}

- for corpus hack panel:

give 1 seconds each level to hack the puzzle (as usual)

- for grinner hack panel:

at rank 2, if you mistake the tile already triggered, this one will not reset his state (1 time only)

at rank 4, reduce the spin speed by 25% and the marker doesn't change the spin direction every time you pick one tile

other joke mod

Maglev: increase the slide duration... let's put more things on that:

- increase the slide duration from 30% to 48%

- increase the the vertical wallrun duration by 48%

- increase the speed of the forward flip by 48%

- increase the speed of the wallrun horizontal jump by 48%

- increase the flying kick (when you use crouch + jumps while running) damage by 900% (200 damage)

- accelerates climbing animation in edges by 42%

Marathon: because of the Maglev's upgrade, i supposed not let this one left behind

- increase the movement speed by 10% if your stamina is above than 50%

- reduce parry, running and meele strike stamina consumption by 18%

Marathon: with the announcement of the removal of stamina system, I have to put another effect here

- every second you are running continuously, you will gain 10% movement speed, capped to 60%

edit: 07/11

doesn't exist anymore

Second Wind: It would not be good to change it before parkour 2.0 update, at least not change the extreme level...

- remove the channelling requirement and the efficiency penalty

- every hit create a "wind/blood/oil slash" that give additional 100% total range, but only deals half damage to the weapon

edit: 07/11

doesn't exist anymore

Eagle eye, Hawk Eye: this mods increase the zoom by 40-80%... and only this... serious, this one... really...

- increase zoom from 40% to 80% (only Eagle Eye)

- while in zoom mode, increase the projectile speed by 40% (if applicable)

- while at zoom mode until 3 seconds after leave this mode, reduce frontal bullet damage by 25%

- increase overall weapon's damage by 20%, if you hit a weak spot (banshee sonar, headshot...)

- receive increased damage against meele strikes while in zoom mode by 25%

Ammo Drum, Shell Compression, Tricky Mag: obviously, doesn't matter if you raise your ammo reserves if you can't use everything... or there is a mod that replaces it (ammo mutation)

- Increase the maximum ammo by 90% at max rank

- Increase ammunition pickup by 27%

- If you have less than 75-50-25% ammunition, increase the movement speed by 5-10-15% (For obvious reasons, only counts if you're with the weapon in hand)

- +30% reload speed if your weapon's clip is empty

Slip magazine (primed), Magazine Warp: give the same treatment than Ammo Stock (shotgun version)

- Raise from 5% each rank to 10% (60% at max level, 110%¨for Primed Slip Magazine)

Tainted Clip/Burdened Magazine: following the marathon (not the mod) of upgrades previously done by Slip Magazine and similars, let's increase these ones
- Raise the magazine capacity from 60% to 75%
(not too much, because they can stack)

Tainted Mag: slightly modify this mod, considering that one as 10-rank mod
- Raise from +6% magazine capacity to 9% (max rank at 99%)

Fast Hands (Primed), Tactical Pump: because of the way these mods works, they end up being weaker than they appear

- Raise from 5% each rank to 8% (same treatment as Quick Draw), raising to +48% (+88% on Primed Fast Hands)

Stunning Speed:this is a specific case, because it will receive both treatment from status mods as reload mods

- Reduce reload speed from 10% to 8% (32% at max rank)

- Change the +10%, multiplicative, status effect to +10 status effect, additively (if the weapon has 1% base status, instead raising to 1,1%, will raise to 11%)

Rifle Aptitude, Shotgun Savvy, Sure Shot, Meele Prowess: they use the old values when still allows cause stun the targets, and now, forgot to update the values, let's fix this

2 options

- increase its values from 15-30% to +120%

or (i prefer this one)

- change from multiplicative increase for additive increase and its values to +15-18, allowing even Stug (that have 0% status effect) to deal status, in exchange for damage

if you think it does not exist, the exclusive mods of Supra and Sobek works that way

Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Sniper Scavenger: its concept is good, but split between 4 mods doesn't help too much as aura mod
fuse theses four mods into one, Ammo Scavenger
- Increase drop ammo pickup of each type by 150% at max level

useful to the team if they split between many high-consumption weapons, like boar, amprex, twin viper, supra...

Speed Holster: give some more love to this underestimated aura, after all, this mod doesn't reduce 80% of the time to change between weapons, its increase the speed by 80%, decreasing only 44% the switch time

- Raise its level from 3 to 5
- Raise the holster rate of every weapon from 80% to 144%

Physique: aura mod that increase only 18% of the base health (even shattered Vitality can give more than this, unranked) just a little buff

- Raise from 18% of the base health to 40% of the base health

- Can affect defense objectives and rescue targets at half amount (20%)

Dead Eye: aura mod that increase damage only for snipers and bows... again, little buff

-from 35% to 48%

-increase the rank from 3 to 5

after all, Rifle amp affects bows and snipers too, so need something to balance in this case

Shield Disruption: this mod weakens warframes who deal directly with shield (Mag) and the magnetic procs, plus we have even more useful mods to choose between that, let's change the mechanics of the mod, plus and making Mag is not adversely affected by this aura

create a shield disruption (pun intended? maybe), that remove, partially, the amount reduced from health to his shields
- unranked: 3% of the damage goes through the shield (like poison damage, somewhat), the remaining amount deals damage to the shield (works only 1/3 amount against Proto shield, 1%)
maxed: 18% of the damage goes through the shield (6% against Proto shield)
full Squad: 72% (24% against Proto shield)
- doesn't work against boss's invulnerable phases (but still can try kill Jackal or Zanuka, because they only have huge amount or regenerate too fast)
- isn't allowed to carry more than 4 Shield Disruption auras per mission (Trials or something like that)

Enduring Strike: if it is to expend energy, so let's do something more effective

- reduce the energy efficiency from -40% to -80%

- change from +60% status to +100 status, ensuring one status proc every strike with any channelled meele weapon

Quickening: if you want to speed up your weapon by using energy, at least, give more speed and less consumption per swing (after all, the energy counts every hit, not every swing)
 - Raise from 30% to 60% attack speed
 - Reduce from -80% to -40% channelling efficiency

True Punishment: just tweak some values
 - Raise from 40% to +100% critical chance
 - Reduce from -60% to -40% channelling efficiency

Coolant Leak: Besides its somewhat useful mod, its too small (3 meters) and weak (5% speed reduction)
- increase radius effect from 3 to 7 meters
- speed reduction from 5% to 15%
- raise its cost from 4 to 6 points

Hollow Point: if we want to take chances with mods that will reduce something, offer something in return that is better than their normal counterparts (Target Cracker), at least, because the risk of this is huge, after all every shoot, even critical, will have reduced base damage

- raise critical damage from 60% to 120%

Thunderbolt: a great useful mod previously, nerfed to below the ground... let's bring this one to his former glory
changing the mechanics, instead of 30% to explode, dealing 250 radius damage:

- can change between normal arrow and Thunderbolt's arrow by pressing reload button ("R" in pc warframe)
- allow every arrow deals additional 20% of the bow's total damage (count serration and elementals, but doesn't count body multipliers or criticals) as radius damage
- keep the remaining stats (10 meters radius, blast damage type, doesn't trigger if hit one ally...)
- cost 4 ammo per shoot while using Thunderbolt's arrow

with this kind of concept, it could create new mods that modify the functioning the arrows of the bows in future

here comes the bomb... a cluster one...
No ReturnPiercing HitSawtooth ClipDisruptor... : theses physical mods, since the arrival of damage 2.0, they fell in uselessness, coming to the point that only got to use the event versions that have recently launched, like Fanged Fusillade, Breach Loader, Maim...

- raise them from 30-60-90% to this event counterparts, 120%
- raise its costs to 9 (if they are less than that)

before all, i'm not throwing away theses event mods, you still can use both of them at same time

Ghost: i know, its a Sentinel's precept, but this one need attention too

- fix the invisibility trigger (invisibility while have one enemy in range of 30 meters and not shooting at you)
- the cooldown starts at uncloaking action (shoot, no enemies in range, touching the enemy by other methods than finisher)
- 25 seconds cooldown

Revenge: its a attack's precept, but this one already works so different from others, because they only allow the sentinel shoot if the warframe get hit (even if its get shoot, doesn't do anything)
let's put something new

- +25% overall weapon's damage
- keep focused on one target until this one is dead or outside of the sentinel's range
- killing the target, reduce the Ghost's ability cooldown by 10 seconds

for the resistance mods, I don't have ideas about how to change them
in fact, I do not know if I can measure an ideal value because they are too specific (only Detron crewman and void lasers deal radiation, only arctic eximus deal ice damage...), if I start to think of them, I will end up destroying half of them, merging on more generic mods, like i did in Ammo Scavenger

I may have made some balancing errors, this because I was much more focused on giving utility than hone their values and sorry if I made some typing errors ... still learning how to write correctly >_>' (google translate plus trying some parts by myself)

basically, that's my feedback about theses mods

if you want to see the idea where I got it, I put in this part {that one is smaller, serious}

basically the idea of adding different effects at the same mod comes from the idea that we have a very limited amount of mods that we can put into our weapons/warframes, so the idea was that every mod should be balanced among themselves, so that each player can have your right of choice if he wants, like:

- shoot more bullets because they have low accuracy without being punished by losing all his ammo

- focus the firepower in every bullet, killing fast as possible

- deals status effect against some tougher targets, allowing the others finish them off

- become versatile swapping your weapons in a blink of the eye and moving quickly around the mission

- modifiers that change your gameplay if you meet certain conditions (move faster if you have stamina above 50%, more powerful bullets if you shoot at weak points while at zoom mode...)

the idea would be to allow each has its mod space in any existing build, of course we will have the most recurrent situations that require more times certain mods, but you will not end up saying "forget that it exists"

some mods almost begs to have more than one attribute to work for real, but they insist on for only 1
others putting can be very strong in attribute, but nonetheless, is useful enough to replace the "main mods" (Quick Rest, Rapid Resilience, Sure Footed...)

Edited by Zeyez

Didn't read everything yet but... YES

Okay now that I've read everything... YES²

These stats are pretty balanced for me, maybe too powerful for PvP but some specific tweaks can be done later.

Please consider these ideas DE.

Edited by TrickBox

Modding does need adjustment.  But frankly, in order to avoid power creep, I'd rather decrease the effectiveness of powerful mods rather than increase the effectiveness of others.  After all, no amount of buffing will make, say, Antitoxin worth taking if you're up against anything but infested, which makes it a pain to use.

If power strength gave only 5% strength then suddenly other mods become more valuable.  If Serration only gave 5-10% damage, magazine warp wouldn't be that bad.

Modding does need adjustment.  But frankly, in order to avoid power creep, I'd rather decrease the effectiveness of powerful mods rather than increase the effectiveness of others.  After all, no amount of buffing will make, say, Antitoxin worth taking if you're up against anything but infested, which makes it a pain to use.

If power strength gave only 5% strength then suddenly other mods become more valuable.  If Serration only gave 5-10% damage, magazine warp wouldn't be that bad.

...on the other hand, values like that are way too extreme. 5%? That's basically useless. Instead of most mods being crap, all mods would be crap. I hope this is just a random example.

Then again, if enemy scaling got nerfed back down to what it was before insane power creep, maybe that wouldn't be an issue, but would it be rolled out in a timely manner?

but the balance can be done by raising other thing than reducing everthing else, i just did the opposite and serious, theses mods which i suggested modifications are mods in comparison with others of same level, like Elementals, Criticals, Punchthrough... using this way of seeing things

i know that, It has mods that even should be nerfed or removed (but incorporated in another way) from Warframe (like Serration, Redirection, Vitality...) but most of them it would be unnecessary to lower them as to make no difference, because we need them to provide a visible change in the concept that we are making progress in the game (i'm not applying this to mods like {hypothetical example} Primed Streamline, but Intensify, Stretch, Rush...)

All mods doesn't need have different tiers (except broken ones, like damaged Vitality from Vor's Prize) because they costs and effects can do this by itself, unlike the weapons

Despite the weapons also need to balance their tiers, but this is not the focus of the topic

Edited by Zeyez

If power strength gave only a 5% bonus, it would be effectively worthless. Just like weapon balance, mod balance requires buffs and nerfs, but neither alone will solve anything. And unlike some weapons that are effective but only overshadowed, many mods (especially frame and status ones) are actually worthess; people wouldn't bother with the trouble to slot them even if they could. Thus bringing everything to the lowest level only makes everything pointless.

just to remember: the focus of the change in the mods here is for PvE (Players versus Everything)

I prefer to leave the PvP aspects aside, because there does not have the mods for which I used as a balance point

Edited by Zeyez