Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Type Concept] Javelins And Spear And Board [Update Corpus Hoplite Concept And Backstory]

Andy1134

(I dont know if this Idea has been posted here before I assume it has though so heres my version)

The Idea:

So a friend and I were talking about weapon types and we got the Idea of javelins in warframe. I haven't decided where the javelin weapon would fit in. I thought of it being more of a secondary weapon rather than a melee. this being since we already have polearms and staves. They would obviously be throwing weapons like the knives, but they would have a unique charge function. You could throw them in rapid succession or you could charge up a power throw that would do massive damage. We also thought of being able to retrieve them but that function is not really up to us I even came up with some quick concept designs using to the best of abilities the factions overall styles

Features

These are the functions agreed upon by the commenters

Extendable and collapsible javelins: In short the Javelins length extends when drawn and collapses when holstered.

Shield: Depending on whether The concept will be broken into two different weapons the shield will either go with the Javelin as a alternate to where the weapon is holstered. Or if it goes to the spear and board it would act as the spears holster much like the sword and board. The Javelins would not use the shield and instead be holstered on your back like a quiver.

Throw ability:  The spear and board might have a throw function in its combos and in general but no where near as effective as the javelins

Spear retrieval: The spear when thrown will be retrieved via teleport since the function already exist in the game.

NI34sBf.jpg?1

[sorry for the crappy quality of the image I have no scanner]

You can probably guess which weapon belongs to which faction and what kind of damage they do.

Grineer Javelin

The First javelin is a Grineer one. I got the Idea from Jat Kittag. Basically Its a jet powered Javelin that when charged up kinda fires itself It does mostly impact damage when thrown normally but when charged it explodes dealing explosive damage.This javelin would have the slowest flight speed because of its size and weight.

Corpus Javelin

The second Javelin I designed is a poorly drawn Corpus Javelin. I got the design Idea from other corpus weapons mostly their few melee weapons. Like most corpus weapons it deals electrical damage. I thought of it having a high status chance When you power throw it I thought of it creating a electrical field shocking enemies as they walk by This javelin would have a medium throw speed since it is lighter then the grineer one.

Tenno Javelin Puncture

The third design I came up with is a Tenno puncture Javelin.This design mostly came from Orthos. This Javelin deals Puncture damage Its charge function is that it has innate punch through, so it basically goes through a line of enemies This javelin would probably have the fastest flight speed of all them mostly cause of its design and it just looks faster then the others.

Tenno Slash Javelin

The final Javelin I came up with is the Slash JavelinI was mostly inspired by Tipedo for the design. This is a slash javelin that also has punch through when charged. This one I thought would most likely have a higher crit chance than the others. It would also have a fast flight speed

Well thats pretty much all I got as far as the Idea goes Feel free to give your input on the Idea

Update:

So thanks to the Ideas on this thread I had some free time to do some quick sketches of how the javelins would look collapsed and extended Here is the basic Idea

nDpjD2g.jpg

I know the size of it kinda keeps changing but its like a 10 minute sketch So any thoughts on how it extends and collapses also the positioning of it on the warframe I still need to work on.

Should people decided they like the Javelins more as a melee I came up with a Idea to make it javelin and shield since historically Javelin soldiers had shields along with their javelins. Its a pretty quick sketch some of the proportions might be off I didnt really go to deep into them

u40UxMc.jpg

Melee

So Since some people would like it to be melee and a bit larger than what the current concept is I went a head and did some sketches of What it would look like. I made a completely new design for this one. I call it the spiral javelin Since unlike the others which collapse around the shaft this one spirals out from the guard I also added some detail to the shield as to how it would move from a horizontal position to a vertical position. There is also a crudely drawn  gauntlet with a electric wire for quick return as the weapon will have a throw function like the glaive and it would need a return function

RuRVOGv.jpg

note: The poll is still open till tomorrow.

Poll:

Here is a poll about whether Javelins should be a Melee weapon or a Primary. I will check the results Tuesday at

5pm PST

The poll has ended and the results were

52% for primary

48% for melee

Spear and board

Its been about a week or two since I last updated this post. I decided to do some more concepts but ive been busy as of late with work so I havent been able to until today. Here is a concept for the Corpus and Grineer spear and board.

eXbNNpK.jpg

Grineer spear and board:

So for the Grineer version I had it explosively extend when drawn So basically when you draw it it shoots out with a bang extending to full length, It also has a small thruster for added striking power. The Shield kinda untucks it self and become larger giving a greater area of defense.This spear does mostly Impact damage since the tip is blunt

Corpus Spear and Board:

For the Corpus spear and board I went simple IT extends like the other spears but it also has two prongs that converge and form the tip with either electricity or radiation being its primary damage source. As for the shield I was kinfa inspired by the nullifier backpack and simply made it a arm mounted energy shield. 

Two more spear Ideas I managed to sketch out before work. These are a Infested and prime spear more happy with the infested one then the prime one.

8xQXoQh.jpg?1

Infested spear and board:

This spear and board extend when pressure is applied to the heart like structure in the shaft It causes the ends to shoot out and tighten forming the spear head. This spear and board would do mostly toxin and puncture damage.

Prime Spear and board:

Basically a prime version of the Tenno spiral spear and board better stats I guess, It is also inspired by soma and boltor to some degree. 

Corpus Hoplite Mercenaries

So its been a very long time since ive posted anything in this forum. I have been busy with work and what not. But now I have a new concept Its for a Corpus melee unit. Ive noticed Corpus are lacking in melee units so ive came up with a melee unit for them. A Corpus hoplite.

With the grineer and infested stepping up their attacks on corpus ships, the corpus have decided that their automatons are simply not enough to deal with the attacks. In order to bolster their forces they have reached out to a mercenary company called Hoplites.

Hoplite Mercenaries are Corpus who choose to make money in a more active way. They aren't your standard crewman better trained and armed then other corpus, they are more than a match for grineer lancers and even their heavier armed units.

armed with a spear and energy shield. Their special ability is that they can throw their spear and impale tenno and pull them in much like scorpions.

cTMcw5F.jpg

Edited by Andy1134

Yea I admit they are pretty large I might have to work on scaling the design down in size Maybe design them so they collapse so they are easier to carry and when you pull one out it extends who knows right now Im just think about how they will function.

Yea I admit they are pretty large I might have to work on scaling the design down in size Maybe design them so they collapse so they are easier to carry and when you pull one out it extends who knows right now Im just think about how they will function.

Lol yea, scaling them down a bit would probably be a good idea. 

I think they're a pretty cool design overall, and the extended when equip, and collapsed when holstered idea sounds good too. :D

I like the idea and the designs are okay for sketches. Really need to see them finished before I can comment on their look further. (I will say they all reflect their factions well. Gj.)

I'm not sure how you get around retrieval yet. Retrieving a javelin is part of normal use. (Might really slow down battle to have to go over there and un-shish kabob a row of enemies just to get my weapon back. Do you see Excalibur collecting all those radial javelins? lol.)

Making the javelins contract/be collapsible is good: have them shrink to about the size of folded Ninkondi (the nunchucks set).

Edited by Rhekemi

Yes, true, but secondaries are traditionally smaller than primary and melee weapons. That's the point.

There's only so much dedicated space on a Tenno's back for large weapons. If it is to fit in the designated secondary slot (on the leg, across the back/waistline) it needs to be compacted to other secondary sizes.

Edited by Rhekemi

Then perhaps I should change them to melee weapons. and give the design a wire ot some other return mechanism so the javelins can be pulled back.

As melee weapons they could still have a charge function like a glaive expect it does not bounce around.I think I will redesign them so they are collapsed when on your person but fully extended when in hand.

mayhaps a solution to the placement of the holster, could be to strap it to the back at an angle that doesn't intersect as much with primaries, and dual handed weapons like dual swords.(edit, or one could put it over the butt area, just under the area where one puts the second sword on dual swords.)  overall I like the idea of them being secondaries, a collapsable shaft could be an incredible design bonus. the lower shaft could be split into 3-4 parts, and upon drawing them from their holster they slide down and magnetically snap together.  +1

Edited by (XB1)gnashermaster97

Maybe they would work better as a primary. Give them a rack on your back but have them still collapsible for ease of transport. If they are a secondary I was thinking of them being placed  on the lower back most likely  on the hips. Either there or on both thighs like dual side arms.Haven decided if they should collapse so they look like warheads or if they should break into three parts and reconnect like mentioned above.

Whether or not it's a melee or secondary, I'm still in favor of having the weapon collapse and extend. (Think about how the Glaive collapses and expands.)

Breaking it into separate sections means you have to consider the animation to snap it back together. In the middle of a battle, that's not going to be easy.

After Earth was a bad movie, but the Cutlass weapon was cool. If you've seen it, that's one way to do it (have both ends extend outward or collapse inward).

The other way is to have it slide out/extend in one direction (like a collapsible baton), and collapse in one direction.

Those animations would be smoother, easier, than breaking the weapon into separate sections, then storing them on the Tenno.

Edited by Rhekemi

You know how we have enemies that disarm us and then you have to go pick up your weapon? They could be used like that.

They would function similarly to the Glaive. They have a set combo that looks like it's used as a spear (think kung fu movie spears with the tassel (sugatras) at the end near the blade) and charging it up makes you throw it and then it just sits where it landed until you go pick it up. I'd say it should be auto picked up as soon as you run by it though, similar to the latching enemies, they just get on you. once you're within a certain proximity, you just get the melee weapon back.

might bug out when its removed by that one enemy, making it easier to pick up. :B

Edited by TheFatDrake

You know how we have enemies that disarm us and then you have to go pick up your weapon? They could be used like that.

They would function similarly to the Glaive. They have a set combo that looks like it's used as a spear (think kung fu movie spears with the tassel (sugatras) at the end near the blade) and charging it up makes you throw it and then it just sits where it landed until you go pick it up. I'd say it should be auto picked up as soon as you run by it though, similar to the latching enemies, they just get on you. once you're within a certain proximity, you just get the melee weapon back.

might bug out when its removed by that one enemy, making it easier to pick up. :B

I thought of it being a melee weapon with a return function like the glaive but it might be too much work as it would most likely be its own weapon type  and require its own stances. Thats kinda why I was leaning more toward a secondary or even a primary like BY-51 suggested. although it might work out as a melee.

I agree it's strongest point would be as a melee weapon. Throwing wouldn't be too out of line if it was only thrown/returned in a straight line with a fair (aural?) hit box, while still giving it solid melee attacks much like glaive.

It could also have high pierce or slash, mid blunt, but lower than average speed. We could use them as an alternative for gallatine.

For javelins to work and to be anywhere near useful they have to be primary weapons, because if not everyone will cry about how launching a giant knife through someone is over powered for secondary. also you can just make it so all javelin shrink like robin's staff in teen titans, this would allow you to have the javelins in the back position of the rifle and make the drawing animation shorter and easier. also javelins have to be built from the beginning to be short range high power with high status chance and crit because if not they offer no reason to use over the bow for power gamers, who are the people who buy the most things and do the most videos.

Make javelins a Spear stance.

Seriously, make a stance that lets you throw your spear at enemies as a charged attack. The Tenno are certainly strong enough to use a heavy spear as a thrown weapon. Then you can introduce javelin style spear that can use different spear stances, but is polarized to use the new Javelin stance.

If/when charged attacks return, the throw would function as the weapon's charge attack, like the glaive or the Redeemer. The throw would have some form of damage multiplier and could skewer/incapacitate the enemy hit, locking down a priority target.

As for the issue of the weapon returning, they could easily return after a few seconds like the glaive through an energy tendril or teleportation (unless stuck into a live enemy - we might press melee to trigger the return in this case), and potentially the player could run up to the javelin and press melee to re-equip it immediately.

I guess since there are people in favor of it being a primary and people being in favor of it being a Melee I Think I might have to leave it up to a vote. I would like to know is your opinions on weather it should be Javelin and shield/ I actually want it to include the shield even if its a primary as it would give a alternative to where the Javelins are stored. Since they would be stored in the shield. The Shield could also give a block buff if you are aiming down. What would be your thoughts on that.

Here is the voting link Im pretty sure it works, Im also going to put it up in the main post

note: I will check the results on Tuesday at around 5pm

http://goo.gl/lbl2LW

Edited by Andy1134