Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Unclean

Kalenath

Not very heroic

She entered the dojo with firm misgivings. The portal released her as planned. It felt odd not to be in a warfame, not to be armed. The Tenno now known as Cathi had done a lot of things in her life. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. She had tried to be a dutiful Tenno but then...

She forced her mind to focus on the now instead of the past. Her past was dead and gone along with the evil woman who had once held her reins. She knew she would have difficulty, just the lack of dreams was telling on her already. But for now? She was...

"Cathi!" A totally unexpected voice had the Tenno freezing in place just as a weight thumped into her, enveloping her tight. She squashed her instinctive defensive reaction as she realized that it was Mishka, Healer Iriana's daughter. Mishka was crying! "We thought you were dead."

"I was." Cathi said slowly, not daring to move as she beheld two warframes scrutinizing her from the other side of the portal chamber. "Mishka... I need to report."

"It wasn't your fault!" Mishka said firmly as she released the Tenno, but held onto Cathi's hand. Cathi wasn't sure what to do, so she let the girl cling. She had dealt with kids before, but it had been a long time, her memories were fuzzy and she was in a completely different situation.

"Fault doesn't enter into it, Mishka." Cathi said softly. "I did horrible things. These are matters of record."

"You were not in control of yourself!" Mishka protested. "They explained after you and Jesse vanished. Everyone was upset." She gulped and Cathi nodded.

"With reason." Cathi agreed. "Mishka, please?" She begged. She glanced appealingly at the two warframes, a white Rhino and a blue and white Trinity. Both shrugged. "I need to move on. It won't be easy. But I refuse to let the one who hurt me and so many others win." She went still as  Mishka smiled warmly. The Rhino gave a short, sharp nod and vanished. "What?"

"We had to see for ourselves." The Trinity said with a smile in her voice. "You came recommended, but we had to see."

"Who would recommend me?" Cathi was reeling as Mishka held her hand gently. Then the Tenno groaned as realization dawned. "Jesse."

Cathi was on two minds about Jesse. First was awe. Jesse was incredibly smart and powerful. The Cyberlancer was young, but no one in their right mind called her weak or indecisive. The second was exasperation. The girl just would not quit trying to get Cathi to lighten up. At least Jesse was safe now, ensconced as she was in the single most secure place in the solar system and surrounded by guards even without Draco, her personal guard.

"Jesse." The Trinity agreed with a small laugh. "I am Alicia, clan medic."

"Cathi." The former renegade replied formally. "But you knew that. I am ready to get started."

"With?" Alicia asked.

"My penance." Cathi half stated, half asked.

"Sister Cathi, Mishka is right." Alicia said with a shrug. "It wasn't your fault. People blame you..." She waved to Cathi's still bruised face. She had refused treatment for the minor injuries. Cathi kept her poise from the skill of long practice. It hadn't been fun, not defending herself. It went seriously against the grain. But she had been complicit in horrible things. Not willingly, but she had done them. Just the memories hurt. "And you let them hurt you. That stops now, sister."

"Ah..." Cathi swallowed hard.

"We Tenno are hard." Alicia said quietly. "But very few of us are cruel simply to be so. You are Tenno but you predated the Collapse." Cathi nodded. "That means you do not know a lot of our recent history. I am here, with Mishka, to get you up to speed. But first. What warframe would you prefer?"

"I assumed I would have to work to gain trust first." Cathi shook her head. This was awfully fast.

"Trust must be earned." Alicia agreed. "But we don't have time for you to spend navel gazing, cleaning the floors or lubricating the few things that need it here. Things are starting to go nuts. We do not have spare personnel to watch you all the time. Either we trust you or we do not. We choose to trust." She raised a hand as Cathi started to protest. "We will not be stupid about it, but we need you, sister. We need your skill and we need your experience." She chuckled. "And I want to ask how it felt to wield a Veritux in gravity."

Considering that said sword was intended for use in the zero or microgravity environment of space and was twice Cathi's height in length...

"Exhausting." Cathi said with a small frown. That part of her memory was clear. Sun's manipulations had brought some of her memories back into focus. Others were gone from the cryo. Winning the Imperial Games three years running had been a hell of an achievement, even she admitted that with a certain amount of pride. She had been the best. Now? Maybe she had a chance to do it again. If in a different way. "As for warframe? Gersemi Valkyr."

"That we have." Alicia nodded. "We will start the tour here and end it in the barracks where you can acclimatize. " Cathi grimaced but nodded. Merging with a warframe was no joke at all. Tenno had died doing so. "But first, the required stuff. The place you came from is secret. No one outside of our clan and the Citadel is supposed to know of it. Nikis and Sun do of course and a few others. But if someone asks you where you came from..." She paused as Cathi nodded. "Yes?"

"I was renegade and captured by Interrogator Sun." Cathi said quietly. "He used me to destroy the remaining renegades. Instead of killing me, he freed me on my oath to serve as Tenno.  I want to serve. It is what I am for."

"And if someone asks where you were before coming here?" Alicia continued her quiet interrogation.

"I was in a top secret special care facility." Cathi replied with a smile. "They never told me where it was." Alicia and Mishka both looked at her and Cathi's smile became a grin. "They didn't. They assumed I knew. And I can neither confirm nor deny that I knew." Mishka was covering her mouth with her hand and Alicia was shaking her head as Cathi became serious. "All that said, I can neither confirm nor deny anything about where I was. Classification issues, you understand."

"Fair enough." Alicia said with a nod. "Not that I expect anything less of a Royal Guard."

"I am not Royal Guard anymore, Tenno Alicia." Cathi fought to keep her voice level despite the gut wrenching pain that tore through her. That had been her life, her sole connection to her past. To what she had been before her corruption. Now? That was gone. "No matter what...anyone may say..." She said carefully. "...I was cast out. I will go on. I am Tenno."

"She won't be happy with that." Alicia replied just as carefully. Even here, even now, paranoia was a watchword where Avalon and the Empress were concerned. Then again, Eliza was not one to anger.

"She does not command Tenno." Cathi said softly. "She has said so repeatedly. It was an internal matter and handled as such. Maybe...someday I can restore the honor that was stolen from me. Today? I serve." Mishka gave her hand a squeeze and Cathi smiled at the young Tenno bard. "I am ready to start."

"We have and will have Guards cycling through for training." Alicia said quietly. "They will treat you as a clan member or I will want to know why. If I can't find out, then the clan leader gets involved. Don't get him involved. Clear?"

"Clear." Cathi nodded.

"This is one of three portal chambers we have in the dojo." Alicia said to begin the tour. "As far as anyone outside of our clan or special guests..." She nodded to Mishka who returned it. "... are concerned, this portal chamber is unused." Cathi nodded and the Trinity started off, the other two following, Cathi carefully did not look at Mishka's foot which was a prosthesis of some kind. Odd looking. Almost flesh? Not normal Tenno machinery.

"How are you doing, Mishka?" Cathi asked quietly when Alicia did not speak again. The bard looked at her and Cathi made a face. "It is not every day someone tries to assassinate you."

"It will happen again." Mishka said quietly. Both Cathi and Alicia looked at her and Mishka shrugged. "I don't blame him for being angry. I am too."

"Mishka, he would have killed you." Cathi protested.

"The....being who contributed DNA to my creation has angered many Tenno." Mishka shrugged again, more expressively. "I cannot blame them for being angry."

"And blaming you for his actions makes sense...how?" Cathi demanded.

"It doesn't." Mishka granted. "But my own actions..." She shook her head. "No. Not my actions. I didn't do anything but get snatched. But several things happened because of me. This clan lost a sister and a highly trained mental healer because of me." Her tone was calm, reasoned. No self pity there. Just fact.

"Serene losing it was not your fault, Mishka." Alicia said sternly from where she was walking. "The rest? You were abducted, girl! Twice. No one blames you for that! Not even the nuts."

"I know." Mishka said sadly. "Briana and Healer are working with me to get through this. It is...hard though."

"Easy is not for Tenno." Cathi gave Mishka's hand a squeeze. "How is your mom?" Mishka smiled, grateful for the change in subject.

"As busy as ever." Mishka replied. "But she is better. More relaxed. She really needed the break. So did I." The young Tenno admitted. "Things were nuts. Are nuts. But now? We can cope a bit better."

The trio walked in companionable silence as Alicia showed them a series of rooms. Each time she would state the purpose and Cathi worked hard to remember each. Stores. Armory. Range. Medical. Training. The list went on and on, but she worked diligently to place each room firmly in a mental map. Communication. Research was three rooms. She balked as Alicia gave her access to the clan's vault.

"You cannot be serious." Cathi retreated as her bio scan was taken. "You don't know me!"

"Yes, we do. Jesse and Sun sent full reports." Alicia said softly. Cathi stared at her and the medic shook her head. "You know... I have  a bad temper. Always have. Likely always will. But I didn't go through what you did." A tinge of sympathy sang in her voice. Not overt, just there. "I..." She broke off, hand going to her head. "I have my own stories."

"Alicia?" Cathi asked, concerned as the bioscan cut off. "You okay?"

"I don't know." Alicia said after a moment. "I have a headache. But I shouldn't. All diagnostics are in the green." Mishka was staring at the Trinity, eyes wide. "Mishka?"

"How long have you been having them?" Mishka sounded odd. Far older than her almost seventeen years. "How bad and how long do they last?"

"Last couple of days." Alicia said with a shrug. "They don't last long and it is pain, Mishka. You know about Warriors and pain." For Tenno Warriors, pain was weakness leaving the body. Not very sane, but very warrior-like.

"We have been worried about you, Alicia." Mishka said with a frown. Cathi stared from the young Tenno bard to the Trinity and back. "What was done to you was horrific. Briana, Kori and I believe it was the Ancient Enemy's manipulations. Healer and the others concur."

Cathi stilled, she didn't understand all of this, but that title, she did know. The most ancient of Tenno adversaries was a horrible legend. Cathi did not know all of the story, just that Hayden Tenno -the First Tenno- had triumphed in someplace called Lasria against said enemy, preventing an infested apocalypse. In truth, that was all she knew. She knew that the First still existed in a manner of speaking as energy form shades. Not -quite- ghosts of folklore, but close. The database had been a source of power and danger throughout much of Orokin's existence. Eliza had simply told her 'It is handled now.' and refused to recount any details. Cathi approved. She didn't need any more secrets.

"It is over and done." Alicia said firmly. "I do keep tabs on it, Mishka. That is my job." At Cathi's puzzled look, Alicia unbent a little. "I was infected with a modified strain of the Technocyte Virus." Cathi couldn't help herself, she recoiled a step. Alicia nodded. "It was bad. But every scan, every medical professional, every everything says that I am fine. So..."

"Alicia." Mishka's voice was firm as well now too and she stood, crossing her arms. "You know better."

"I..." To Cathi's amazement, the Trinity seemed to wilt.

"Modified how?" Cathi asked softly. The others looked at her and she shook her head. "You said 'modified strain'. Modified how?"

"It was intended to control people." Alicia's voice held remembered pain and fear, but it firmed. "It worked on poor Kori, but it took them a long time to do it to her. From what we found out? Decades of trial and error." Mishka stepped to take the Trinity's arm in her hand. "Mishka... I..."

"What happened to Sister Kori was no one's fault but the Ancient Enemy's." Mishka said firmly. Cathi looked at her and Mishka bowed her head. "It rose. The Phoenix did as well." Cathi inhaled in horror and Mishka nodded. "Yeah."

Cathi remembered that. The only way that Tenno had found to stop true manifestations of the Ancient Enemy was an ancient Tenno weapon that killed the user. The Phoenix. It stopped the enemy cold, but the cost... The cost was always dear.

"Alicia." The young Tenno bard was shaking her head now. "You feel wrong. You need to go see Healer."

"I need to finish the tour." Alicia protested. "Get Cathi a ship and warframe."

"Alicia." Where had Mishka suddenly gotten this aura of command from? "Now. I will do the tour. I know the dojo. Mitchell and Miguel were working on the landing craft expansions. I will get them to help with the ship."

"Yes, Ma'am." To Cathi's amazement, Alicia gave Mishka a bow and left! Cathi stared after her and then at Mishka who made a face.

"She is not supposed to do that." Mishka complained. "We do not stand on formality and we try not to step on tradition. We have enough problems without infuriating the ultra-traditionalists."

"Tradition has it's place." Cathi said slowly. "It is important, but it should not be the only important thing." Mishka smiled at her and relaxed a little. "No offense intended Mishka, but... Tenno Alicia is the clan medic. How can you order her to go see a Healer?"

"Not a healer." Mishka corrected the older Tenno quietly. "Healer. You will meet her in time." She frowned a little but then her face cleared. "And the reason Alicia took my order?" She paused. "What do you know of the Caretakers?"

"The-" Cathi stiffened. "The Empress said I was to obey their orders. Tenno Jasmina and Tenno Elenia are to be obeyed in all things."

"That is not what I asked." Mishka said with a groan. "Geez. They are not going to be happy about that. What do you remember about the Caretakers?" Cathi stared at her, but the girl seemed firm. "It is important. Very important."

"The Caretakers..." Cathi said delicately. "....maintained the quarantine. Infestation cannot be stopped, merely slowed. Quarantine was mandated for anyone who might be infected. If they were proven to be..." She swallowed as Mishka looked sad. "Mishka, it was a kindness."

"Yes, it was." Mishka said sadly. "The Technocyte Virus is a horror beyond belief. To those of us who can feel it..." She shook her head. "Even Tenno have no idea the sheer pain that is involved. The feelings..." She swallowed hard.

"You can feel it?" Cathi felt horror start to dawn. If Mishka could feel it, then she had been exposed!

"I am not infected, Cathi." Mishka said softly. "I am a Caretaker."

"There are only two." Cathi said firmly. "Jasmina and Elenia."

"There were only two." Mishka said quietly. "To save my life, they had to do some rather creative juggling of bioscience and politics. In order to repay the debt I incurred, I took the oath." She grinned, suddenly looked far younger. "They were not happy with me. Neither were the others. But I did as my honor and heart commanded. I am needed. They need me. So I serve."

"And your mother is okay with this?" Cathi demanded, and then moderated her tone. "Sorry."

"No." Mishka waved the apology away. "She wanted to do the same, to stay with me. To help them. But the Tenno need her. They didn't need me."

"I don't see that." Cathi said after a moment's thought. Mishka looked at her and Cathi shook her head. "You are young,. You have your life ahead of you, Mishka. You had time to choose. Why choose this? To maintain a quarantine is a horrible job."

"They didn't tell you the rest, did they?" Mishka asked, an odd bubble of amusement surfacing.

"Rest?" Cathi asked suspiciously.

"This is going to be a shock no matter how well we prepare you." Mishka said softly. "So, Tenno... we need to explain and it will be a shock. How should we do it?"

"You are asking me?" Cathi asked slowly.

"You know your own mind." Mishka replied. "Right?"

"Ah..." Cathi groaned. "Yes. Sun was thorough and I know my own strengths and weaknesses. So... Hit me with it."

Instead of answering, Mishka took her hand and led her back down the hallway. But... then they went to an elevator marked 'Out of Order'. It opened and Cathi stiffened, but the platform was there. Mishka hit the controls and it started down.

"You are in no danger, Cathi." Mishka said quietly. "We scan thoroughly and sweep with every sense we have, including touch."

"Whatever you are preparing me for..." Cathi's words choked off as the door opened... to horror. She took one look at the Infested flora that covered the walls, the Infested masses that sat and stood watching her... She reacted. It was hopeless, but she would not submit to anyone -or anything- ever again. She would die fighting.

She bolted.

"Don't hurt her!" She thought she heard Mishka scream as she fled, but Cathi was gone.

Edited by Kalenath

Oh boy... well thats one way to introduce her to the sane mindmass.....

Edit and as a thought if Cathi could win in a tournament using a Veritux in gravity then gods help anyone caught in front of her if she has something like a skana or a galatine

Edited by evafan002

Oh boy... well thats one way to introduce her to the sane mindmass.....

Cathi DID say 'Hit me with it' and Mishka did ask and receive advice that she took.

But yeah. Others WILL speak LOUDLY to Mishka about this.

(edit) Yeah, she will be SCARY with a big sword in hand. Gram or Galatine most likely.

Edited by Kalenath

It's part of an arc that is listed in story order in my profile. Not all are good but I DO enjoy writing them.

And no, Cathi has NO idea what she was going to get 'hit' with.

Thing is, she DOES know her own mind.

Edited by Kalenath

A Veritux in ​gravity!? Good God...

Also when was Alicia infected with a modified strain of the Techoncryte virus? I don't remember...

That was pretty much EVERYONE'S reaction when she strode onto the field with it.

As for Alicia?

My VERY first fanfiction. 'Duty Endures'. We have come full circle.

Edited by Kalenath

Weee, freaked out Tenno - 'Fun'

Also, as a sidenote, 'Cathi grimaced but nodded. Merging with a warframe was no joke at all. Tenno had died doing so' contradicts Karen's situation in Rage - You mention in Rage that a warframe cannot kill the user during the merge, only make them go insane (If unprepared for the neural binding).

Weee, continuity errors!~

Weee, freaked out Tenno - 'Fun'

Also, as a sidenote, 'Cathi grimaced but nodded. Merging with a warframe was no joke at all. Tenno had died doing so' contradicts Karen's situation in Rage - You mention in Rage that a warframe cannot kill the user during the merge, only make them go insane (If unprepared for the neural binding).

Weee, continuity errors!~

Cathi THOUGHT it did. More on that later.

Unknown

She ran.

It was hopeless. Cathi knew that. She didn't know the dojo. All that she knew was that Infested had somehow managed to gain a foothold here. Which made no sense. And... why were they not attacking her? Why were none of them even chasing her? Indeed, she managed a glance here and there and realized...

They were moving out of her way.

She was running through an Infested hive and they were moving out of her way! Then her day got odder. She was still running, but her feet were not touching the deck. She was still upright, but floating in mid-air. She jerked and flailed, but she could not reach the deck. All around her, the masses of Infested... moved away.

"No one will hurt you." A voice came from the side and Cathi stilled as a Mag warframe came into view, hand slightly raised. That explained her floating. "You did tell Mishka to 'hit you with it'. But she should have explained further. She is mortified."

"In.." Cathi forced her voice to work properly, ignoring the squeak that came out first. "Infested."

"Yes." The Mag said softly.

"Why are they not attacking?" Cathi managed.

"They haven't been given a reason." The Mag said as if such were perfectly normal.

"That doesn't make sense!" Cathi declared, trying to reach the floor with her toes. It was just out of her reach.

"Sense took a long jump out an airlock a long time ago." The Mag said with a small chuckle. "My name is Elenia." Cathi froze in place. One of the Caretakers. In the middle of an Infested hive? This made- She shook her head savagely and the Mag nodded. "There is an explanation. You are not infected and you will not be. We are very careful about that even though we shouldn't push it. If I let you down, will you come with me to a place that we keep decontaminated? Let me -us- explain?"

"Do I have a choice?" Cathi asked, snark on full.

"Ah, sister..." Elenia chuckled, but there was no humor in it. "There are always choices. There are always alternatives. If we have to, we will remove your memories of this encounter. Gently, but permanently. There is simply too much at stake. We would rather not."

"At least tell me why they are acting the way they are!" Cathi demanded. "I don't know much about Infested but I know this is not typical behavior."

"No, it is not typical behavior for most Infested." Elenia replied as she moved closer to where Cathi hung in midair. "But as to why they are acting that way? They are more civilized than I am." Cathi stared at the Caretaker, jaw hanging loose and Elenia nodded. "They are sentient."

"That... is not..." Cathi froze as one of the Infested, a Charger is she was not mistaken, -she had never fought them so she wasn't sure- rose from its crouch and moved to stand by Elenia who looked at it.

"No, Curtis. She is just scared. With reason." The Caretaker said calmly. "Yes, we need to explain and no, she... oh... good point. She might be able to. Thanks." The Charger nuzzled the Mag warframe and then went back and sat down. Elenia looked at Cathi who was staring. "He is a good kid."

"I...cannot believe this." Cathi said slowly.

"I know." Elenia shook her head. "I could be tricking you somehow. Using some kind of mind control." A growl came from the Charger and Elenia's tone turned sharp. "Yes, I know. I wouldn't do that, but she doesn't know that, does she?" She demanded of the Charger. It shook it's misshapen heads and Elenia turned back to face Cathi who was gawking. "Do you know the Lotus, Cathi?"

"We met." Cathi tried to keep her tone level. It was hard.

"Can you contact her or should she contact you?" Elenia asked, still calm. Cathi just looked at her and Elenia sighed again. "Come on, Sister. I don't want to hold you up there all day. Would you trust her word? If she told you we mean you no harm?" Cathi did not move and Elenia slumped a bit. "I see. No, I won't order you to obey. Kind of defeats the purpose of explaining things to you if I do such. Hold on." She looked at the ceiling.

Tenno Cathi. The Lotus' mind was gentle in Cathi's. They could have handled that better but they do mean well. They will not harm you.

This is not possible, Lotus. Cathi protested. She was not expecting the Lotus to chuckle.

And how much of what has happened since you woke from cryo has been possible, hmm? The guide of the Tenno asked gently. A mental caress soothed Cathi's frayed nerves. Be well, daughter. Then she was gone.

Cathi stared at the Mag and then around at the Infested who were watching her. She slumped a bit. "Hell of a story?"

"Oh, Sister! You have no idea." Elenia said sourly. "Sometimes I wonder if my life is a soap opera." Cathi chuckled at that and Elenia snickered. "You know... you are the first person to get that joke. None of them know what soaps were. If they did, they forgot it and no one today has time for such ancient silliness."

"Probably just as well." Cathi replied, calm returning. "All that forced drama... ick." She mock shuddered and then nodded to Elenia. "I give my word, Caretaker. I will not resist."

"Well, don't be stupid!" Elenia said snidely. "Of course you are going to resist. It is what Tenno do. But here?" She lowered her  hand and Cathi felt floor under her boots. "There is no need." She held out her hand to Cathi who took it slowly. "I don't bite, Sister."

"Why do I get the feeling..." Cathi said with a grin. "That is not entirely true?" Elenia couldn't be seen to blush, but it was in her body language.

"I have no idea what you may be..." Elenia started to say primly and then broke off as an odd sound came from all around. Sort of laughter. Sort of, as if from throats that were not quite capable of human speech anymore. "You all-! Hush!" She ordered, but none of them so much as looked at her. Cathi had to grin, which was probably the idea. Elenia gave a long, deep -utterly fake- sigh. "See what we have to put up with?" She demanded. "Geez, bunch of naggy relatives have nothing on these beings."

"I think I might be getting a glimmer." Cathi fought the grin that was trying to cross her face. Albeit, not very hard. "Now... about that story?"

"Ah yes." Elenia's tone turned somber. She gave Cathi's hand a twitch. "Come. While we walk, I will start to tell you a story about a very brave Tenno who called himself Dust..."

Cathi shook her head, stunned out of speech by Elenia's story. She had followed Elenia into another room where Mishka sat, her face ashen. It was set up for human occupation, a table and several chairs surrounding it. A smile from Cathi had the girl perking up a little, but the bard was still worried. They had sat and Elenia had told the story of the Caretakers. Of Dust and the evil that had befallen him. Of the final sacrifice the one called 'Sword of Silence' had done to save Elenia, Lisa and all of the Tenno.

"So you were with them.. . all this time." Cathi said softly. Elenia nodded. "And you all went into cryo...with them. Only to wake when the Lotus sent out her call. And the others woke with you." Elenia nodded again. "This is... I don't know what to say." She shook her head. "They are Infested."

"Yes." Elenia said softly.

"Sentient, civilized Infested. And you are trusting me with this secret?" Cathi demanded. Elenia and Mishka both nodded. "In the name of the First! Why?" Cathi demanded.

"Because Jesse is an excellent judge of character." Elenia said quietly. "And you died for her." Cathi made a face and the Mag warframe nodded. "Karl's clan is small. They just lost two of their number. They need more people, but they need people they can trust. Jesse says we can trust you."

"I don't know if I can trust myself." Cathi said in a tiny voice. "Interrogator Sun and the medics did what they could. I don't feel any of the feelings that I knew for so long. But if they come back, I don't know if I can resist them." Elenia and Mishka looked at each other and Cathi heaved a sigh. "I know that is my fears talking. I know that it is a residue of what I endured. But I am afraid." It hurt to say that, but here, now? Mishka and Elenia understood about fear.

"Hey everybody." A new voice had Cathi perking up as a young human walked into the room. She wore a garment like Mishka's and she was carrying a baby. "Hello Cathi. I am Lisa."

"You stood as surrogate for Jasmina and Dust." Cathi said softly. Lisa nodded. "That was brave. To carry an Infected child... You, Ma'am, are brave or foolish. Mostly brave I think."

"There have been times I have cursed myself for a fool. But I watched Champion die for me." Lisa said quietly. "That was brave. Me? I just do as I can. Jasmina is busy, but she said to come by." She smiled at the bundle in her arms. "This is Dustin." The little boy murmured in his sleep but did nothing else.

"A beautiful child. A hope for the future." Cathi shook her head. "As dark as this world we live in is, there are rays of light." She gave herself a shake. "I still think Karl is crazy for taking me in. But I will serve. I am Tenno. I know my duty."

"Hail Tenno." Mishka, Elenia and Lisa all chorused.

"We need to finish your tour and get you a new warframe." Mishka said with a smile that froze as both Elenia and Lisa glared at her. "What?"

"You have homework." Elenia said firmly. Mishka groaned but nodded. Lisa smiled and rocked the sleeping bundle in her arms. "I will see Cathi to the ship bays and then we shall see who can get her to the barracks. If need be, I can."

"You have duties of your own, do you not?" Cathi asked. Elenia nodded. "Then I can find my own way."

"We want you to get there today." Elenia said with a snort. "And if you fall in a hole and vanish... Karl would a bit upset with us. Once was enough." Her tone was somber again.

"Is that what happened to Jesse?" Cathi asked quietly. "The records we had access to never said where it happened."

"She was focused on a repair she was doing, didn't see the floor was weak under her." Elenia said with a soft sound of dismay. "We heard her scream and then all hell broke loose. Draco was not happy. She was okay. Is okay. But..." The Mag shrugged.

"Better safe than sorry." Cathi agreed. "I still need to swear to Karl, Caretakers. But... if he allows, I would aid you if you have need."

"We are pretty much self sufficient." Elenia said with a smile in her voice. "We have worked hard to get that way. But it is appreciated, Sister." She rose and Cathi did the same. Mishka smiled at Cathi but reached for a datatpad instead as Lisa sat beside her.

"If I have time... Can I visit?" Cathi asked carefully as she followed Elenia out of the room. "I like Mishka and Lisa is nice."

"We will likely be moving out in the near future." Elenia shrugged. "This is kind of dangerous, to both us and Karl." Cathi looked at her and Elenia growled. "We didn't have much of  choice, our haven was attacked by Grineer. We had to flee and the place we were going was being scouted by Corpus."

"Ouch." Cathi made a face and Elenia nodded. "So you wound up here."

"Karl offered hospitality and we accepted." Elenia stretched a bit as she walked. "But if the other Tenno discover we are here... it will not go well for him."

"How many know about you?" Cathi asked. "Outside of Karl's clan?"

"Eliza's people. Grandmasters Nikis and Sun. Elder Raven." Elenia said softly. "Jesse. Draco. Iriana. And that is it. Others know we Caretakers exist and most of them are ambivalent. But if they think that Karl is hiding something like an Infested hive in his base... It would not end well."

"No." Cathi agreed. "I can see that." She relaxed a little as the pair entered the elevator. "Are you sure I am not contaminated?" Instead of answering, Elenia took her hand and was obviously concentrating. Cathi waited.

"You are not." Elenia reassured her after a moment, giving Cathi 's hand a squeeze and releasing it. "We have spent a great deal of time working on ways to keep from contaminating others. The mass of mind that we protect are incredibly smart. So many minds all focused on one objective can be daunting at times."

"Is it a hive mind or-" Cathi broke off as another warframe appeared nearby. It wasn't one she knew. The Atlas frame nodded to them, but did not speak. He watched as they walked. "Who is that?"

"One of Karl's potential recruits." Elenia said softly. Cathi looked at her and then Mag shook her head slowly. "I don't like him and neither do we. He doesn't know about us yet and he won't if we can help it."

"Why?" Cathi asked. The Caretaker seemed a open minded sort. Not the kind for irrational prejudice.

"I am not sure." Elenia replied softly. "Something about him rings false."

"Would Karl take a liar into his clan?" Cathi asked, confused.

"Not knowingly." Elenia shrugged. "But he isn't perfect. No Tenno is. Ah, here we are." She paused as they entered the ship bay. Ships hung attached to refueling and power supply points all around the area. No one was around. "Ah... Hello?"

"Caretaker." A new voice called from the side and both women turned to see a human in a flight suit shimmy out from under something that gleamed oddly dark. It didn't look like a Liset. It looked... insect-like. "Miguel was called away to another problem. I was checking the secondary conduits on this Mantis. Looks weird, but she will fly."

"A Mantis landing craft?"Cathi asked slowly, scrutinizing the ship. It looked sleek and fast. "I heard of those, but never saw one."

"Systems check out." The man replied. "I am Mitchell."

"Cathi." The Tenno bowed and the human returned it a trifle awkwardly. "They want me in the field as soon as possible. I am supposed to get a ship, but I haven't even gotten a warframe yet."

"This one will fly." Mitchell replied equably. "And yes, lots of people will be talking to Mishka about her choice of introduction method." He said with a grin.

"Well, provided that bonding to the warframe doesn't kill me, I-" She broke off as Elenia hissed. "What?"

"It won't kill you." Elenia said with a frown in her tone. "The binding won't. It is designed not to."

"I...seem to recall stories of Tenno trying and failing. Dying as a result." Cathi said after a moment's thought. "They are fuzzy though."

"It has been some time since you merged with your last one, Cathi." Elenia said kindly. "There were advances, especially during the war.  It won't kill you."

"I will take your word for that." Cathi said and then she grinned. "With the caveat that if it does, I will haunt you for eternity." She made a scary face at Elenia who recoiled in mock horror. Mitchell smothered a laugh with a totally unconvincing cough.

"They know what they are talking about, Ma'am." Mitchell said with a nod. "Don't know Tenno stuff at all, but they do know what they are talking about. One thing... Caretaker... Li is supposed to be by again." Elenia groaned and Mitchell's face was sympathetic. "She won't take 'No' for an answer. That hasn't changed since I knew her."

"Li?" Cathi asked. "If that is any of my business."

"Li is a Tenno who we helped recover after a rather bad injury." Elenia said after a moment. "She had to have both legs regenerated." Cathi winced and Elenia nodded. "She seems to think she owes us a debt and is determined to pay it. Which we don't mind. But she just won't stop. How many times must she pay? She was a sister in need. We helped, end of story."

"Not to Li." Mitchell's face held sympathy. "I will see this one is serviced and ready for you, Ma'am."

"Don't call me Ma'am." Cathi replied evenly. "I work for a living." Mitchell and Elenia both chuckled at that. "If the binding takes, then yes. I can use this. What operating system?" She was not expecting Mitchell to shuffle his feet. 'What?"

"We had no extra Cephalons." Mitchell said with a frown. "Olim installed the old Ordis Cephalon and..." He broke off as Elenia gasped. "It was all we had."

"You are not going to inflict that thing on Cathi!" Elenia said with a snarl that was not amused. "That Cephalon is insane after so much time alone."

"Olim and his sister worked with it. On it." Mitchell protested. Then he slumped. "But yeah, it has some... quirks."

"Are these quirks likely to kill me?" Cathi asked. Mitchell shook his head. "Then I can handle it."

"Cathi..." Elenia trailed off, grumbling. "Silly girl. You will need downtime and that thing is nuts."

"I will take it." Cathi said with a nod to Mitchell and another long glance at the Mantis. "I have done weirder things than babysit a Cephalon."

"You say that now..." Elenia was not amused as she led the way from the bay, leaving Mitchell chuckling as he went back to work.

None of them noticed the small form made of stone that stood in a secluded corner. So none of them saw the remote observer device attached to it.

Edited by Kalenath

Okay. YOU just got biomass clean up duty when the Caretakers leave the dojo. Don't miss a SINGLE spore from those levels or Karl will punish you.

*sigh* Well at least my Warframe is black for the most part, so you won't be able to see the stains so easily.

Figured it was Cathi's memory being a little off - Still thought I'd mention it.

And agreeing with Spikey and evafan, though I wonder if 'unpleasant' is the proper term

Oh no unpleasant is definitely gonna turn out to be a understatement

Okay. YOU just got biomass clean up duty when the Caretakers leave the dojo. Don't miss a SINGLE spore from those levels or Karl will punish you.

I volunteer for supervisor duty... i have the bull whip ready and well worn in....

Oh really? Evafan, use this... *hands over Atterax*

Why thank you hehehehehe

You know what? I like cleaning up stuff, i don't think i need supervision.

sorry buddy that aint how this works you know better than that. yous gotts to takes your lumps just like anyone else

Edited by evafan002

Oaths

"Sister to brother." Cathi bowed low to the Rhino warframe that had been waiting for her to arrive in the barracks. "Yours in life and death."

"Brother to sister." Karl intoned formally with a slightly shallower bow. "Yours in life and death. Well met, sister." He straightened and shook his head. "Are you sure about the Mantis? Olim and Riana -his sister- set it up to give the Cephalon something to focus on. It wasn't intended as a working ship. But Mitchell promises me it will function properly. So..." He shrugged. "Are you sure?" He repeated. "We can get you a Liset, just not immediately."

"You need me in the field." Cathi's word were both question and statement. Karl nodded. "Then I can handle it."

"You don't know what you are saying, sister." Elenia said sourly from where she stood by the door. "Jasmina nearly fried the thing when she had to ferry it here and it wasn't even her ship's system. She has a temper, sure. But..." The Caretaker shrugged expressively.

"If it gives you a problem, let us know and we will pull it, get you another." Karl promised. "Caretaker... I need to ask you some questions." Cathi nodded.

"And I need to face my fears." Cathi agreed as she turned to where a warframe hung ready for her. "From here to the armory?" She asked and Karl nodded.

"Your HUD will show directions." The clan leader was obviously worried about something, but it wasn't Cathi's business unless he made it hers. "Once you choose your weapons, Will wants to see your skill level."

"Joy." Cathi fought a sigh as she stepped towards the warframe. "New frame, new weapons and I get lashed by a grandmaster swordsman. Just what I needed this morning."

"No lashes this morning." Karl retorted evenly. Cathi looked at him and he shook his head. "Just a check to see what skills you might be able to share. You were trained by the best."

"That was a long time ago, Karl." Cathi said softly as she took hold of the Valkyr's open seams. "And I am not wielding a Veritux in gravity again. Not for actual combat." She paused. "At least... not in gravity. If we get the chance, do you have spare Archwing?"

"Just so happens we do." Karl had a smile in his voice as Cathi grinned.

"Then I definitely need to see if I can still dance." Cathi took a breath to settle her mind and stepped fully into the warframe which sealed around her like the second skin it was.

Despite Elenia's soothing explanation, part of Cathi still felt fear as the helmet sealed. Part of her knew it was pointless. Whatever would happen, would happen. She knew her strengths, her weaknesses, her hopes, her dreams, her fears. Now? Maybe she had a chance to make a new start. A fresh one without the baggage she had been burdened with.

Then the pain hit and she bit her lip to keep from screaming. She knew it wasn't really her brains on fire, that it was all in her mind as the neural binding that allowed her physical form to become an integral part of the war machine that was a warframe. But it still hurt.

It came as shock then the pain faded.

"Cathi?" She hadn't heard Elenia sound so subdued before. "You okay?"

"Elenia?" Cathia asked as she accessed her sensory systems. Visual sensors cam online first and she saw the Mag standing nearby her posture worried. Karl stood just by the warframe and his posture was worried too. "What? Why are you both still here?"

"You didn't cry out." Karl said softly. Cathi looked at him and he shook his head. "Everyone cries out when they bond to a new warframe. You didn't. Did it take?"

"Systems online." Cathi said as she warframe came alive around her. It felt as it should, a second skin. This one far stronger and more durable than flesh. "I have control. Everything seems in order." She mused. "I didn't cry out?"

"No." Elenia sounded worried now. "And that bothers me."

"Wait." Karl said slowly. "Cathi, can you open your faceplate?" Cathi was mystified, but did. When she did, both Karl and Elenia recoiled. "Oh."

"What?" Cathi asked, utterly confused. "I don't..." She broke off as Karl reached out a slow finger to touch her cheek. "What?" She demanded. Her eyes went huge as he retracted his finger and it was stained red. "Ah..."

"You bit your lip through to keep from crying out." Elenia said softly. Cathi froze at the pain in the Caretaker's words. "You silly girl. Medical?"

"Cathi?" Karl asked as the Rhino took a step back. "How do you feel?"

"Nothing hurts." Cathi mused, half stating, half questioning. She glanced over her shoulder and smiled. "And everything is here." The tail curled up around her upper body and she shook her head. "And the tail still has a mind of its own."

"That bothers me on a number of levels." Elenia growled in annoyance. "It shouldn't. But it does. I don't like seeing you bleeding."

"The warframe is healing me." Cathi prodded her lip carefully with a clawed finger and it didn't hurt. "How about this? I go to the armory, then get put through my paces. Then I go to medical to be checked out?" She was asking both Karl and Elenia who looked at each other. "It doesn't hurt and I have full range of motion." She stepped out of the rack the warframe had been in and slowly arched herself in a series of exercises designed to test range of motion. Everything worked. Elenia made a strangled noise and Cathi looked at her. "What?"

"Nothing." Elenia said quickly. Too quickly. Cathi looked at her and then at Karl who shook his head slowly.

"What?" Cathi demanded. "Am I leaking?"

"No." Karl said as Elenia bolted for the door.

"You are gorgeous."

"This is not happening..."

Cathi muttered under her breath as she worked to keep her Gram in position to block. Will advanced again, his Skana held properly and she let him come. There was simply no way for her to match his speed. So she wouldn't try. He was incredibly good with the simple blade that all Tenno learned first even if they were not Warriors. In his hands, the Skana was less of a weapon and more of an instrument of lethal art.

"Hmm?" Will queried calmly as he attacked, first from one side, then the other. She blocked both, twisting her body to interpose the huge blade against his far lighter one and his sword rebounded. She retaliated, only to backpedal as his deceptive swipe turned into a lethal thrust that would have done serious damage if it had connected. "Sorry." Will said as he backpedaled himself. "You are good.  I keep treating you like an enemy."

"Rusty." Cathi said with a growl as she focused on her breathing. It was coming back to her, the art. The dance. She loved to dance and she had taken to the sword as if born to it. Well, she had been born Tenno, so maybe there was some truth in that too.

"There is rusty." Will said quietly as his sword danced in deceptive movements, feinting, thrusting, parrying Cathi's few attempts to respond. "And there is 'rusty'. You are out of practice, sister. No more. We can help with that."

"Never actually fought much." Cathi said soberly. "Trained a lot. Did my time. Then..." She shook her head. "The past is past. Time to face the future." She started a kata and Will retreated a pair of steps to observe it. She finished the kata and nodded to the swordmaster. "Enough?"

"Enough. What you do not know yet, you will learn." Will replied. "End bout." Cathi returned the massive blade to her back and bowed to the swordmaster as he sheathed his Skana and did the same. "You have a firm foundation, sister. You have not let it crack. That is good."

"You all outstrip me by so much" Cathi said with a sigh. "All I can do is my best."

"Sister, all we are is survivors." Will disagreed calmly. "We are no better or worse than you. Your training shaped you one way. Mine shaped me another. That does not make either us of better or worse than the other, simply different." The swordmaster paused and then seemed to come to a decision. "There is...one more thing I would like you to try."

"After this, I got to medical and probably get yelled at." Cathi said with a shrug. "Can you blame me for delaying?"

"Not really." Will said dryly. "Here." He indicated a wall and a table slid out of it. On it, a metal disk lay. Cathi inhaled as she realized it was a Glaive, but not just any Glaive! It was patterned after the First Tenno's Glaive. "Have you ever used a Glaive, sister?"

"A little light for my tastes." Cathi said, oddly entranced by the dark green blades. They were longer than a regular Glaive's, sharper looking. But that was foolishness. Any Tenno blade would have a monomolecular edge or some kind of energy enhancement. "The ability to throw it would be handy, but I like my opponents to go down after I hit them."

"Most will after being hit by a Gram." Will agreed. "Humor me."

He picked up the Glaive and, without warning, threw it away. Cathi jerked but remained in place as the blade flew, hit a target that had just appeared and bounced back to his waiting hand. The Glaive folded into his hand and he held it out to her.

"I have never used one except in training." Cathi took the ancient Tenno weapon a bit dubiously. "Targets?" Her eyes went huge as set of targets appeared nearby. Four of them. "You have to be kidding. There is no way I will hit four targets with one throw."

"Try." Will said softly.

Cathi looked at him, heaved a sigh and centered herself. Then she threw. Her aim was exact. The Glaive flew, bisected one target, bounced off the wall and hit another. Then it returned to her hand. She looked at the Glaive and then at Will who nodded.

"What?" The Valkyr clad Tenno asked.

"I have been practicing with the Glaive for some time." Will said quietly as he took the throwing weapon back from Cathi. "During the mess with Dust, he and Jasmina both showed the ability to control a Glaive in flight." Cathi's eyes went huge at that and Will nodded. "Yes, just as the First was reported as doing."

"That is... impressive." Cathi said softly, staring at the circle of metal. "And terrifying."

"Agreed. When I faced Dust's wrath, I very nearly soiled my warframe." Will said sourly. "A powerful tool." He shook his head. "If I can ever manage to get it right. I can...almost feel it at times." He threw the blade again and it flew unerringly to hit his target and then come back to his hand. "But not quite."

"That is not for me." Cathi shook her head. "I wish you luck." Will nodded thanks to her as he scrutinized the Glaive. "About my level of skill?"

"You have a solid core. A firm grasp of your center." Will replied evenly, kneeling. Cathi matched his stance. "You have not practiced your art in a long time, but the base of it is solid. All that is required is practice. And to do that? You need an enemy to fight. Tenno do not lack for such."

"Fair enough." Cathi agreed. "So, what do you recommend? You a have better grasp of this time and now you have seen my ability."

"Start small, make big." Will replied. "Ask the Lotus for a mission. She will send you somewhere. I do not know her targeting parameters, but she usually manages to send kin against targets that they can handle, if not easily."

"Easy is not for Tenno." Cathi agreed. "I will do that. After Medical." She said sourly.

"There are some foes even Tenno cannot best, Sister." Will said with small laugh. "Don't keep her waiting."

"You made a right mess of this." Brianna complained as she worked.

Alicia was nowhere to be seen, but an armored Kubrow sat nearby. Kori was watching as Brianna worked to heal Cathi's lip. Cathi shrugged a little, careful not to move the rest of her body. She couldn't talk with Brianna's hands on her face and that made the conversation fairly one sided.

Brianna was in charge of the med bay when Alicia was gone apparently. One look at Cathi's face and the medic had ordered Cathi out of her warframe and into an exam room. The medic was gentle, but also very  thorough.

"There." Brianna smiled a she retreated a step. "All done. Any discomfort?"  Cathi worked through her senses and shook her head slightly. Brianna smiled a bit sadly. "Repairs are done. You can talk now."

"It didn't hurt before." Cathi said quietly. "Or I didn't feel it over the neural binding. The warframe should have healed it."

"It was." Brianna reassured her. "But like I say, you made a real mess of your lip and cheek. And apparently you bit it again when you were tested." She frowned. "Likely you will keep doing it."

"Ow." Cathi said with a frown of her own as she sat up. She felt fine. She touched her cheek and nothing felt out of place. "The last thing I need is to be mutilating myself unintentionally. What can I do?"

"The face plate interior is form fitting, yes?" Brianna asked after a moment's thought. Cathi nodded. "But you don't need to breathe through your mouth, do you?"

"No." Cathi agreed. "The warframe handles a lot of that. I do need to breathe, but it is not needed for me to-" She broke off as Brianna opened a drawer and pulled something out. "You have got to be kidding!"

"Tenno Cathi..." Brianna held out the mouthguard to her. "I bet you will keep biting yourself. Not intentionally, but that is how you reflexively handle pain. With this in, it will keep your teeth from cutting. You won't be able to talk, but it will keep you from harming yourself."

"I need to focus." Cathi took the mouthguard dubiously. "If I focus enough, it should keep me from biting."

"And if that doesn't work, you could do permanent damage to your face." Brianna said softly. "Even in a warframe. Normal drugs don't work on Tenno and even if I could... you are needed." She gave herself a shake. "Now more than ever."

"I am sorry for the clan's losses." Cathi said quietly, staring at the small plastic thing in her hands. "I will do what I can."

"I know." Brianna was kind, gentle and very good at what she did. But there was a core of sadness about the woman. Cathi wasn't sure why. But she had seen the telltale signs of a restraint collar under the woman's bodysuit. So... what? She would ask but not now. "It has been rough. Amelia was a good friend."

"I um..." Cathi shook her head again and slipped the mouthguard in. She wiggled it around in her mouth and froze as the Kubrow spoke.

You can talk this way. The voice wasn't audible. Brianna looked from Cathi to the Kubrow and smiled warmly.

"Wondered if you were going to open up, Kori." She stepped to the Kubrow and gave the armored canid a scratch. Apparently the not-quite-a-warframe armor was a second skin because the Kubrow -Kori- gave a pleased whine. She smiled at Cathi's stunned look. "Kori is special in number of ways. Not a normal Kubrow. If there is such a thing. You can talk that way."

Not... easily outside my warframe. Cathi replied carefully the same way. It wasn't telepathy, more a data stream. I didn't know you could talk. Some Kubrow could. But not all.

Would you like a companion? Kori asked, her mental tone kind. You haven't been alone in a long time.

I...hadn't thought of that. Cathi said after a moment. She slumped. It was... Yes. She said with a smile. I think I don't want to be alone.

Especially if that Cephalon is as nuts as Olim and Riana think it is. Kori said with a short amused bark. I will have an egg delivered to you ship. You will need to tend it.

Of course. Cathi said after a moment. That is part of the deal, no? Kubrow are companions. Not slaves.

"Not all Tenno feel that way." Brianna said darkly as she patted Kori's back.

Then they are fools. Cathi retorted silently. I remember the bond. I will abide by the oath.

Fare thee well, sister. Kori said and then nuzzled Brianna. And you have downtime now.

"Pushy Kubrow." Brianna complained whimsically as Cathi moved to where her warframe stood. "Tenno Cathi? Don't need my services again anytime soon. Please?" The medic begged as she started for the door, Kori rising to follow her.

I will do my best.

Gah, they were not kidding!

Cathi knelt in front of the genetic foundry on her ship and tried not to snarl at the Cephalon running it. She didn't care if it found cosmic background radiation funny. She was busy and it just would not shut up. The timer was almost up.

"It will make a mess!" The Cephalon said sharply. "I am not cleaning up after that."

No, that is my job. Cathi retorted. The Cephalon could understand her just fine. Just get us to Mercury. Vor is being a pest again.

The metal dome in front of her retracted, leaving a clear plastic one. She had to smile as she saw the egg lying in pieces around... Her breath caught as she saw dark brindled fur and a dark blue pattern on the Kubrow puppy's face. A lotus symbol. The Huras puppy woke, stretched and looked up at her, his eyes wide.

Good morning, little one. Cathi said gently as she keyed the clear dome to retracted. It did and she reached out slowly to let the Kubrow sniff her. It did and whined eagerly. She gave him a scratch behind the ears and he made a contented noise as she spoke ancient words. I stand with you and for you as you will stand for me.

I will call you Rocco.

Edited by Kalenath