Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Electric Shield: Facts

Engelheim

SINCE UPDATE 10 VOLTS SHIELD WILL NO LONGER CONVERT TO ARMOR IGNORE!

So I did some testing as I always found the wiki description of "changing shots to electricity" kind of fishy. Anyway after testing I found out some interesting facts about the Volt's shield.

[Offensive Properties]

The general bonuses Electric shield will give are:

• Armor Ignore*
  • 50% Multiplicative Electric Damage**

• Hit-Scan (Instant travel-time)

• Infinite Range and Consistent Damage

*Armor ignore is the best description, it isn't serrated blade, physics impact, etc.

**Will add 50% electric damage to each damage type on your weapon.

The bonuses that shield gives is dependent on the type of weapon that you use. Unlike other weapon categorizations, Shield works using the projectile type, here is a short list:

[bullets]

Bullet weapons will receive the full bonuses from Shield.

• Any Bullet Weapon
  • Dethcube Rifle

• Snipetron/Snipetron Vandal*

*Snipetrons have a default AP damage. This is not converted to AI.

[shotguns/Laser]

Shotguns and lasers suffer from fall-off damage and range limitations respectively. Using shield will remove those limiters effectively allowing the player to snipe. Like bullet weapons, they will receive the full bonuses.

• Any Shotgun
  • Flux Rifle
  • Spectra

[Arrows/Knives/Bolt]

This category will not receive any bonuses from the Shield.

• Boltor
  • Bolto/Akbolto
  • Gremlins
  • Paris/Dread/Paris Prime
  • Hikou/Despair/Kunai
  • Glaive/Kestrel
  • Acrid

[Travel Time Projectiles]

These weapons will receive only the electric and hit-scan bonuses. Armor ignore conversion is not applied.

• Dera
  • Ignis
  • Ogris*
  • Torid**
  • Seer

*Ogris has two types of damage, one from the missile and one from the AoE. The AoE will explode upon impact with the shield but the missile will receive the bonuses.

**Torid, like the Ogris, has similar properties. The projectile will turn into hit-scan with electric bonuses but the poison could will detonate at the shield.

Testing was done under controlled conditions with unmodded weapons.

Weapons not tested:

• Miter
  • Supra
  • Lanka

[Defensive Properties]

Besides Shield's amazing offensive properties, it does have a few interesting defensive properties as well.

• Enemy arrow/bolt/knives will be able to pass through the shield. Beware of the Stalker and dueling.
  • Projectile Warframe abilities will not pass through the shield (Ember's Fireball, Frost's Freeze, etc.).
  • Grineer Scorpion hooks will not pass through the shield.
  • Orokin Lasers will pass through the shield.

[Misc]

• Focus has no effect on the shield or its damage.
  • Trying to shoot through two shields will result in the bullets not passing the second shield.
  • The shield is heavily affected by hosting and lag. To get the best results it is recommended that the Volt player host.
  • Confirmed that Continuity/Constitution works with the shield.
  • Doesn't matter from which direction you shoot or block with shield.
  • Volt's Shock can be used through the shield, but will not receive bonuses.

If anyone would be so kind as to confirm and add this to the wiki I'd appreciate it. I don't know how to edit wikis.

Edited by Engelheim

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1gb5gi/

Pwnatron,

According to my testing, all projectiles that become hitscan (or already are e.g. Braton) when they hit the shield get additional damage that's not electric since ancients and grineer die as fast as any other unit. When shooting through the shield it can do up to 10 times as much damage as it would normally do.

Cough cough

Edited by Gingka2k10

Because it ignores armor. It can do more than 10 times more damage.

It doesn't add electrical damage afaik since testing it with Flux it does the same damage with shield and without (it converts it into hitscan and extends range like the main post says in that reddit thread).

Edited by Treehuggerz

Because it ignores armor. It can do more than 10 times more damage.

It doesn't add electrical damage afaik since testing it with Flux it does the same damage with shield and without (it converts it into hitscan and extends range like the main post says in that reddit thread).

Soo it makes a short range heated plasma beam into a long range continuous railgun? Gotta try that 

You tried it with ignis?

I dusted off my old Volt for a Corpus endless defense mission yesterday, dropped an electric shield and started shooting through it with my Gorgon.

Or rather, I tried to shoot through it but instead found out my bullets were not passing through it and turning into electric damage like they used to. It just stopped all my bullets.

I dusted off my old Volt for a Corpus endless defense mission yesterday, dropped an electric shield and started shooting through it with my Gorgon.

Or rather, I tried to shoot through it but instead found out my bullets were not passing through it and turning into electric damage like they used to. It just stopped all my bullets.

Yes. The shield is VERY buggy off host. To be honest I'd rather see it get rebuilt along the lines of Snowglobe to insure you can actually shot through it, on or off host. Predictable use > Unreliable Super powerup.

I didn't know Volt's shield had such utility. It definitely makes him more useful than I previously thought. If Scott decides to buff shock's damage and speed's duration Volt will be a much more viable frame. Of course, the bugs with shield will have to be worked out for that to happen.

Edited by Excitonex

I've done a bit more testing on the shield and added a few more things.

So I did some initial testing with shotguns and from what I've seen is that the shield may remove the damage penalty for long ranges. If someone would help make more conclusive tests in a dojo I'd be grateful.

Edited by Engelheim

Well my Lanka will be done cooking in a few hours, so I'll know soon enough.

Tested the Lanka with a Volt teammate who had Electric Shield. Lanka shots turn into hitscan with no travel time, plus I was doing a ton more damage.

I thought it adds flat value of damage bonus. 
tried with weakest and most powerful weapons, for me the bonus was always 24 (not sure if the shield was at max or not) 
And using shotgun the each pallet seem to get the bonus and because of that i 1shoted Cronus BP boss. 

But i did it like 1 or 2 months ago, not sure if they changed anything, but even then i can't make this test again, damn inventory slots, had to sell volt / exc or frost.... volt had to go in order to progress in mastery rank. 

I think his shield is useless; I mean the in-game description for Volt says...

VOLT can create and harness electrical elements. This is a high-damage Warframe perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun play.

perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun play.

who want a potent alternative to gun play.

potent alternative to gun play.

alternative to gun play.

to gun play.

gun play.

Yet the ELECTRIC SHIELD is FOR GUNPLAY

Where the hells my alternative to GUN PLAY DE!?

ObqPIuT.gif