Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Attica a good alternative to Telos Boltor?

(PSN)ROBOCRIPPLE_

Question

I had a Telos Boltor, but then I sold it for credits. Back then, the Telos Boltor didn't have a high critical chance and was regarded as a side-grade to the Boltor Prime, due to its lower DPS and included "Truth" AOE effect. I did keep my Attica, though, put 5 Forma in it, because I really liked using it with Thunderbolt equipped; boom, baby! 

Now that I have my Tiberon Prime, I've been using it as my main primary weapon since I got my hands on it. Good crit and status across all firing modes, even stronger with Vigilante Armaments and Offense. Lately, I've been adding Forma to and modding certain weapons for each faction, mission type, and Sortie condition, such as Grineer with Enemy Elemental Enhancement; for that particular faction+Sortie condition, I've been looking for high-puncture+high-crit weapons. 

Normally, I'd bring my Vaykor Hek with critical+puncture build with Hunter Munitions to these types of Sorties, but I find it only really useful in small spaces like the Grineer Galleon tile set and outside of Assassination missions, so now I'm looking for auto/burst fire weapons that are high in puncture and crit, better with a good ammo economy. I already have a Snipetron Vandal for the Plains, and I've yet to put Forma in it. I'm not sure that Slash status can be applied to many of the Grineer bosses, but I know that their armor can be stripped via Corrosive status.

I have negative standing with the Arbiters of Hexis, so I have to resort to trading with other players to get my hands on a Telos Boltor, once again. I still have my 5-Forma Attica. Here's the mod setup that I'm going with, for now: https://goo.gl/DAVGu7

If Slash status does work on Grineer bosses, I'd put Hunter Munitions in the build to replace Hammer Shot. Still, with Vigilante Armaments and Fervor (to increase the fire rate), I get a good chance to land orange crits. With a lower fire rate and higher damage per shot, the Attica has a better ammo economy than the Telos Boltor, does it? Recoil is worse on the Attica, though.

An alternative for me would be to bring a high-status secondary to proc Corrosive repeatedly until all of the armor is stripped, then finish them off with a Slash-based primary. Tysis comes to mind, and I have a build for it: https://goo.gl/Tv2RKU

Is Attica with that mod setup strong enough to compete with Telos Boltor with a similar mod setup?

Edited by (PS4)ROBOCRIPPLE_

9 answers to this question

in terms of Deeps? yeah Attica will perform atleast as good as Telos Boltor. however Telos Bolter does have notably higher Status which can be useful.
so you'll have less Status to pair with your Crits and you won't have the Syndicate Explosion. 

Attica and Hek are missing Elementals though. you really want Elemental Damage on 99.9% of Weapons in this game.
the quick'n'diry solution for both is to replace Accelerated Blast, Breach Loader with two 90% Elementals and Piercing Caliber, Hammershot with two 90% Elementals. if you pick a combined Elemental Damage Type that the Enemy you're fighting will be weak to, each of these Weapons will deal atleast double the Damage they do now, often triple, and vs Armored Enemies upwards of 5,10,20fold more Damage depending on the Level of the Enemies.

some Bosses can take Status, some not(except for Corrosive - though there are some exceptions like Sagas Ruk). so you can use Slash Status sometimes.

Edited by taiiat

10 minutes ago, taiiat said:

Attica and Hek are missing Elementals though. you really want Elemental Damage on 99.9% of Weapons in this game.
the quick'n'diry solution for both is to replace Accelerated Blast, Breach Loader with two 90% Elementals and Piercing Caliber, Hammershot with two 90% Elementals. if you pick a combined Elemental Damage Type that the Enemy you're fighting will be weak to, each of these Weapons will deal atleast double the Damage they do now, often triple, and vs Armored Enemies upwards of 5,10,20fold more Damage depending on the Level of the Enemies.

I know that, already. I'm modding them for Enemy Elemental Enhancement, remember? (enemies have added resistance to elemental damage types) For most of the content in the game, I bring a weapon like Tiberon Prime modded with both crit, elementals and status. Corrosive for armored enemies such as Grineer, and Gas for Corpus. For Infestation and/or CP Grineer, I usually bring crit-only builds, unless they have Augmented Enemy Armor. 

I think the question is if you use a riven or not?

If not -  Use the zhuge. It has a 3er disposition and is status based. Its default the slightly better xbow.

If yes - Use the Attica. It has a 5er disposition and now you can easily reach 100% critchance which opens up the use of hunters munition which makes it better.

Both - They both have the same problems: Small mags, slow firerate, slow reload, recoil. Both do pretty awesome damage though. 

You might want to look at the Baza. Its mainly puncture (but not as high as the xbows), with less problems IMHO.

Edited by Fiewel

1 hour ago, (PS4)ROBOCRIPPLE_ said:

I'm modding them for Enemy Elemental Enhancement, remember?

nope, i forgot by the time i was done typing :D
nevermind that part of what i wrote about Elemental Damage then. the Crit/Status stuff still applies though.

41 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the Crit/Status stuff still applies though.

So I should get my hands on a Telos Boltor and mod it with status+elemental mods, then? I have a Boltor Prime, already; is that a good alternative to the Telos Boltor? Looking at the stats, it looks like I can mod it with crit+corrosive status. How does this mod setup look? https://goo.gl/582Lkr

Edit: For a mod setup like that, Braton Prime looks better, mainly because it deals mostly Slash damage, which is ideal for Grineer bosses with all of their armor stripped. I have this mod setup with 2 Vigilante mods: https://goo.gl/stse2t 

Alternative Braton Prime build: https://goo.gl/so5aJA

19 minutes ago, (PS4)ROBOCRIPPLE_ said:

So I should get my hands on a Telos Boltor and mod it with status+elemental mods, then?

by all means use Attica if you want to use it - it's a good Weapon.

i mention Status as Status is useful as is Crits - Corrosive, Radiation, Viral, Slash Status are all useful in a pretty wide number of situations. it's something else your Weapon can bring to the table but it doesn't mean your Weapon has to have that to be effective.

if you want to use either Boltor, go nuts. if you want to use Attica, go nuts. if you want to use Braton, go nuts.

22 minutes ago, taiiat said:

by all means use Attica if you want to use it - it's a good Weapon.

i mention Status as Status is useful as is Crits - Corrosive, Radiation, Viral, Slash Status are all useful in a pretty wide number of situations. it's something else your Weapon can bring to the table but it doesn't mean your Weapon has to have that to be effective.

if you want to use either Boltor, go nuts. if you want to use Attica, go nuts. if you want to use Braton, go nuts.

OK, I'll just keep using my Attica for those Grineer Assassination Sorties with Enemy Elemental Enhancement, then. 🙂 Saves me from having to trade with somebody. I can't go wrong with a high DPS and good ammo economy, especially when I'm up against a boss. 

TY for helping me.

1 hour ago, Pooroldude said:

Attica is a superior choice for higher level enemies or just simply higher armored enemies. However, it's reload can be an issue, zhuge is basically attica but much faster in it's reload for lesser crit dmg.

Zhuge is my crossbow of choice for Bow Only Sorties. Good crit+status.