Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Radial Javelin Rework

(XBOX)Avant Solace

Excalibur is a pretty good all-rounder Warframe with a nice array of rather vanilla abilities. His Slash Dash, though having tracking problems, is a good mob clearer/evasion skill that deals fair damage and provides a moment of invincibility. His Radial Blind/Howl is an excellent ability that easily stops hordes of enemies in their tracks. Exalted Blade, when modded correctly, is a devastating ultimate attack even on higher levels. This leaves just one ability: Radial Javelin.

Radial Javelin, despite its good on-paper stats, is not that great of an ability. Its damage is readily reduced by enemy defenses, it requires a clear line of sight, and has a very finite amount of targets it can hit. Despite being a good one-shot crowd clearer on lower levels, enemies with readily survive this ability at level 25 and up. This causes a good starting ability to become nearly useless over time. Fortunately there is hope, and rather lore friendly hope at that.

The Excalibur Warframe is based directly off the mythical sword Excalibur, as most people know. His Radial Blind is based off how Excalibur blinded an enemy army simply by being raised into the air. His Slash Dash and Exalted Blade are based on Excalibur's legendary power and damage output. But one part of Excalibur's lore is not expressed: It's scabbard. Excalibur had a scabbard that granted its wearer nigh immortality. Of course adding an immortality skill to a Warframe is a bit unbalanced, but we can draw inspiration from this legend.

Thus I propose Radial Javelin become Radial Scabbard: Sheathe thy blade into the earth and channel strength from thy enemies. Enemies hit by Radial Scabbard lose a percentage of their armor and/or shields. Excalibur temporarily gains this armor and/or shields and heals a small percentage of the damage dealt. Of course the base stats would need adjustment and testing to ensure it remains a balanced skill, but I believe giving Excalibur a genuine defensive skill would vastly improve his role as a CQC all-rounder Warframe and make all his skills viable again.

Thoughts?

Edited by (XB1)alchemPyro
Grammar

what if it were an AOE placement? 

a summoned sword that when placed on the ground, it deals life steal damage upon enemies and weakens armor, and the sword stays for a certain duration while projecting a healing aura afterward.

also, it would be cool to keep radial javelin's mechanics and move it to a ground slam while exalted blade is active. i would also like dodge roll to be like a free energy mini-slash dash while exalted blade is active, but that is just me.

Edited by MysticDragonMage

10 minutes ago, MysticDragonMage said:

a summoned sword that when placed on the ground, it deals life steal damage upon enemies and weakens armor, and the sword stays for a certain duration while projecting a healing aura afterward.

also, it would be cool to keep radial javelin's mechanics and move it to a ground slam while exalted blade is active. i would also like dodge roll to be like a free energy mini-slash dash while exalted blade is active, but that is just me.

I don't think a placement skill would be a good idea. Excalibur best fills the role of a Berserker Knight. He constantly moves around the field in order to get into melee range while using his skills to limit retaliation. Forcing him to stay in one spot for the full effect of one skill is rather counterproductive for his kit.

As for adding Javelin's AoE into Exalted Blade, it'd be neat but not really functional. Exalted Blade is already on some people's radar as having an unfairly large amount of crowd control capability. Throwing a bunch of Javelins at random would likely be upsetting for them.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

Well this thread just fell off the map...

Yeah that happens a lot on a forum like this.  That said, I love your idea.  I have always found Radial Javelin to be his only useless ability and replacing it with a defensive skill is perfect.
That said, isn't the only difference between your suggestion and Radial Javelin the lack of armor/shield leeching on the latter?

Don't get me wrong, I would love if Radial Javelin became a useful ability, and your idea fits the bill.  It's just a much more simple change than your post makes it out to be.

On 2018-09-03 at 5:33 PM, MysticDragonMage said:

http://trove.wikia.com/wiki/Lunar_Lancer

8 hours ago, Messaiga said:

Yeah that happens a lot on a forum like this.  That said, I love your idea.  I have always found Radial Javelin to be his only useless ability and replacing it with a defensive skill is perfect.
That said, isn't the only difference between your suggestion and Radial Javelin the lack of armor/shield leeching on the latter?

Don't get me wrong, I would love if Radial Javelin became a useful ability, and your idea fits the bill.  It's just a much more simple change than your post makes it out to be.

Well it does need some work. My idea is essentially it will remove a certain percentage of shield, armor, and health from up to 12 enemies within proximity and give a percentage of that back to Excalibur for a limited time. This would allow it to remain relevant even at higher levels. That said it can't be spammed as the leeched values would reset with each use.

As for my post being so in depth, I just wanted to give some lore behind the idea.