Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get Riven challenges without Rivens

Uthael

I've thought about riven challenges before and this topic reminded me to write about it.

These challenges are a good part of what makes the game interesting. Sometimes I just imagine I'm opening a riven and try whatever randomness crosses my mind. ... Because the game is easy once you progress enough and figure some stuff out.

• Operator-only Spy Mission (the frame must not leave the starting tile)
  • Stealth exterminate in a Rhino
  • When you get "10 headshots" challenge, solve it with Ospreys only (body shots to kill other enemies)
  • etc.

Edit: this post got more ideas than originally intended. any aspects are open to be implemented or forgotten.

There's the unfinished cephalon Samodeus. The cephalon who developed the mod system. He could just be plopped in a relay, with lore being added to him with time. He could offer us many challenges at once. Players would be able to accept these challenges in the form of Challenge Rivens. These mods would have no stats, could fit any weapon and when the challenge is solved, they could be turned in for reputation or recycled for Endo.

The challenges that have been accepted and solved the fewest times would give the most reputation. Using 100000 reputation, we can buy an unveiled riven from that cephalon.

---------------------------------

Also, transfer anything Ludoplex-related from Simaris to this guy. "May this aid you in the Synthesis of many creatures." and  "What offerings will this item help you bring to the Sanctuary?" seem VERY out of place when buying toys. Simaris wouldn't be the type who's interested in this.

Both could sell Transmutation Cores, with Samodeus selling more specialized cores, too. Cores that could help converge chances on mod drain, rarity or maximum rank of the mod.
Optionally, these cores could be upgraded or tuned with Endo. For example, upgrading a Rank Core to rank 10 would make sure you get a mod with max rank of 10. Transmuting one of those along with a Madurai Transmutaion Core and a maxed-out Silver Core (100% chance for a silver mod) would guarantee one of the following: Provoked, Serration, Hornet Strike, Blood Rush or Maul. It would still cost you a lot of Endo to max a Rank Core.

And if there was ever a lack of challenge ideas, there could be a forum topic specifically for those. ( @(PS4)xtharbadx )

After a certain reputation rank with Samodeus, he could offer to reroll the challenge of a veiled riven. Not sure for what price. Kuva? Reputation? Random mods? Also, not sure if the reroll should stick to the riven after it's unveiled. Still, if you don't like a challenge on one of your sortie reward rivens, he could help you with it.

Turning in mods for reputation. Or finding a specific mod as a daily task for the cephalon. Much like Simaris requires scanning random enemies and wants a specific enemy for the daily task.

Edited by Uthael

I like the idea, challenges are fun, would love to see more and more variety outside from unveiling Riven mods.

Would also add that it would be fun to make this sort of crowdsourced, where the Warframe community would contribute with creative ideas and vote on them so they could then be implemented as in game challenges.

"Nah, I'm good..."

But seriously now, I wouldn't mind, given 2 conditions.

First, that the challenges are actually funny. And let's not confuse Funny with Difficult. Trying to "Kill a Dargyn Pilot mid-air while sliding" is tricky, difficult, but fun. Having to do "3 headshots in a single aim-glide" is difficult and unfunny (yeah, just go to Jupiter to do it the easy way, not really funny as well), and I can do both. In fact I have yet to face a challenge I could not do.

Second, let us have meaningful rewards for the effort. I mean, sure we can get bad rivens after the effort, but we can get good ones as well. As long as I can have a meaningful reward at the end, yeah I'd probably do it since there's actually a reason to go trough that.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

First, that the challenges are actually funny.

55 minutes ago, Uthael said:

He could offer us many challenges at once.

Meaning, you could choose which challenge to complete. So anyone could pick what was fun for them.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

Second, let us have meaningful rewards for the effort. I mean, sure we can get bad rivens after the effort, but we can get good ones as well. As long as I can have a meaningful reward at the end, yeah I'd probably do it since there's actually a reason to go trough that.

55 minutes ago, Uthael said:

they could be turned in for reputation or recycled for Endo. (...) Using 100000 reputation, we can buy an unveiled riven from that cephalon. (...) <other stuff he might sell>

Most challenges have an "easy way". Getting a free Riven just for accepting any of the challenges would be a bit much.
Edit: In fact, that guy might as well be able to reroll challenges on unveiled rivens, too! I'mma edit that into the OP.

Edited by Uthael