Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Current Best Single Target Dps Primary Weapon?

Xievie

Question

I haven't worried about this for a long time.

I'm a tiny bit of a min/maxer, and was wondering which primary weapon the community things pulls the most DPS in terms of single target?

I'm aware that the Acrid is the top secondary weapon, though.

I remember the Supra was the best a while ago, but I feel that may have changed.

Also was wondering how far behind the Flux Rifle was compared to the current top primary DPS weapon?

I haven't worried about this for a long time.

I'm a tiny bit of a min/maxer, and was wondering which primary weapon the community things pulls the most DPS in terms of single target?

I'm aware that the Acrid is the top secondary weapon, though.

I remember the Supra was the best a while ago, but I feel that may have changed.

Also was wondering how far behind the Flux Rifle was compared to the current top primary DPS weapon?

In terms of theoretical DPS on a single target, the Supra wins. However, thanks to a combination of bad spread, travel time, and armor scaling, the Flux Rifle has the highest practical DPS. The sniper rifles can have a ridiculously high damage per hit, but they all suffer from low DPS on a single target.

If you can aim, Dread is still better, due having 50% more critical damage than Paris Prime.

Those 5 additional base damage from PP don't scale as high as 50% more critical damage from Dread.

So if a someone can crit 12k with a PP, then he can clearly crit above that with a Dread.

Long Story Shot:

Want to aim? Dread

Too lazy, point and shoot? Paris Prime

DPS might be a bit uneven imo...Weapons that are supposed to be "snipers" actually deal a lot of burst damage while their slow fire and charged is simply remedied by a maxed out Speed Trigger (we're not even talking about how much DPS Shred adds yet. :I)...Making it having higher "DPS" if you can keep your shots on an enemy in the form of gigantic bursts...

The rest of what is supposed to be DPS kings are all...Bullet types. Gorgon might be good when modded for mobbed DPS, but because it's a type that doesn't ignore any armor, it doesn't scale very well compared to the "Snipers"..Well Flux Rifle can win the DPS race even without the puncture mod, however it also doesn't win any awards in ammo efficiency (no ammo means no dps...)

The supra is probably the most powerful primary if you look exclusively at it's damage output, even if it lacks innate AP that 400+ DPS allows you to scale all the elementals better than anything else. Too bad it has terrible accuracy and the bullets are so slow, all those DPS are wasted if they hit nothing. 

Edited by CubedOobleck

DPS might be a bit uneven imo...Weapons that are supposed to be "snipers" actually deal a lot of burst damage while their slow fire and charged is simply remedied by a maxed out Speed Trigger (we're not even talking about how much DPS Shred adds yet. :I)...Making it having higher "DPS" if you can keep your shots on an enemy in the form of gigantic bursts...

The rest of what is supposed to be DPS kings are all...Bullet types. Gorgon might be good when modded for mobbed DPS, but because it's a type that doesn't ignore any armor, it doesn't scale very well compared to the "Snipers"..Well Flux Rifle can win the DPS race even without the puncture mod, however it also doesn't win any awards in ammo efficiency (no ammo means no dps...)

We're talking about single targets, so Puncture isn't involved. Snipers all have high DPH and low DPS and are the epitome of how DPS isn't everything. If I remember correctly, there's only a 27%, give or take 5%, boost in DPS when upgrading from the Snipetron Vandal to the Lanka, even though the Lanka's effective DPH has been doubled.

As for the Flux Rifle, Rifle Ammo Mutation mods significantly increase the longevity, if not efficiency, of rifle ammo consumption.

The Flux Rifle is the best answer to your question at this time. It has excellent DPS, excellent damage type, and is accurate enough to consistently apply that DPS within it's range.

That may change however, as they are planning to redo the damage types.

Alright, thanks guys! I think I'll go for the Flux Rifle because that makes the most sense.

Though, Supra is still the best for sandbag DPS?

The Flux Rifle is the best answer to your question at this time. It has excellent DPS, excellent damage type, and is accurate enough to consistently apply that DPS within it's range.

That may change however, as they are planning to redo the damage types.

I actually haven't been extremely active. When/where was this said, and do we know when that might come around?

I don't get why everyone's saying Dread / Paris Prime. They have a base damage of 150 / 2 seconds (75 base DPS for both, one of which doesn't even ignore armour). I can think of a crapton of primary weapons that can do better, a notable example being the MK1-Braton.

The only thing that bows have over other primaries in terms of DPS is the higher critical chance and damage and their knack of hitting weak points in the hands of a skilled player, but given how absurdly low their base DPS is in the first place (and how other weapons can easily hit weak points too), this hardly matters.

If you want a primary that does good sandbag DPS, pick... well, any other primary. Bows have many uses, but sandbag DPS is not one of them.

Edited by SortaRandom

Alright, thanks guys! I think I'll go for the Flux Rifle because that makes the most sense.

Though, Supra is still the best for sandbag DPS?

I actually haven't been extremely active. When/where was this said, and do we know when that might come around?

One of the last two or three livestreams it was stated that their top two major system changes were going to be loot tables per enemy type rather than per faction type and adjusting damage types across the board. The loot tables are done. Yes, they're still tweaking the tables, but as a system change it's done and it's there for them to tweak forever going forward. I believe the changes to damage types was also mentioned when they were talking about Ember needing a buff/revamp (pure fire damage).

Edited by VKhaun

Supra clearly has the highest theoretical dps against any enemy with no armor or an unarmored point. By alot, something like 4x as much as the Flux Rifle. If the AP damage mod for primaries was 90% instead of 60%, the Supra would clearly outperform the Flux even on armored targets - as it is, it's very close. (4255 base, 2553 AP)

Flux Rifle has the highest theoretical dps against an enemy with armor reductions greater than ~90%. This in fact comes from the crit/ap build, not the rainbow build, because we increase the base dps and the ap dps at the sacrifice of other elementals. (1586 Serrated Blade, 952 AP = 2538 Armor Ignoring)

So you can see the Supra does in fact do more armor ignoring DPS than the flux rifle; factor back in some unknown quantity for the damage not negated totally to 0 by armor and it will do more damage considerably. The disadvantages of spool time, projectile speed and spread, as well as a terrible ammo efficiency are countered by that raw DPS.

Edited by Darzk

I don't get why everyone's saying Dread / Paris Prime. They have a base damage of 150 / 2 seconds (75 base DPS for both, one of which doesn't even ignore armour). I can think of a crapton of primary weapons that can do better, a notable example being the MK1-Braton.

The only thing that bows have over other primaries in terms of DPS is the higher critical chance and damage and their knack of hitting weak points in the hands of a skilled player, but given how absurdly low their base DPS is in the first place (and how other weapons can easily hit weak points too), this hardly matters.

If you want a primary that does good sandbag DPS, pick... well, any other primary. Bows have many uses, but sandbag DPS is not one of them.

Well, snipers were never supposed to have high DPS; they focus on front-ended damage in the form of high DPH as DPS doesn't mean anything if you can kill a target in one shot. Remember, DPS isn't everything.

@Darzk: I can aim the Flux Rifle at the head for double the armor-ignoring damage, which the Supra cannot easily do, if at all. Therefore, the Flux still wins out, especially since I can counteract the innate stun with Cryo Rounds. Also, the Flux is much more effective than the Supra on the Infested due to the damage multipliers of Serrated Blade vs. AP

Supra clearly has the highest theoretical dps against any enemy...

Flux Rifle has the highest theoretical dps against an enemy with armor reductions greater than ~90%...

@Darzk: I can aim the Flux Rifle at the head for double the armor-ignoring damage, which the Supra cannot easily do, if at all. Therefore, the Flux still wins out, especially since I can counteract the innate stun with Cryo Rounds. Also, the Flux is much more effective than the Supra on the Infested due to the damage multipliers of Serrated Blade vs. AP

Theres plenty of situations in which you can consistently get headshots against heavies with the Supra - you just have to get closer. Regardless, the question was theoretical dps, meaning Im not factoring in things like travel, spread, acc, or spool time. [Although spool time is relevant, with the +90% RoF build its veeery fast].

As for infested; against Ancients, you can easily hit points where they have no armor, and the Supra destroys the Flux's dps against unarmored targets. The serrated blade multiplier only occurs on lesser infested, which are pushovers anyways.

Edited by Darzk

Theres plenty of situations in which you can consistently get headshots against heavies with the Supra - you just have to get closer. Regardless, the question was theoretical dps, meaning Im not factoring in things like travel, spread, acc, or spool time. [Although spool time is relevant, with the +90% RoF build its veeery fast].

As for infested; against Ancients, you can easily hit points where they have no armor, and the Supra destroys the Flux's dps against unarmored targets. The serrated blade multiplier only occurs on lesser infested, which are pushovers anyways.

With the Supra's spread and travel time, you would need to be at 10 meters or less to get a majority of shots to be headshots, which can be risky. The debate of theoretical DPS versus practical DPS because it's realistically impossible to match a weapon's theoretical DPS in most situations.

This gives me an idea. For Supra, since going close to enemies is dangerous, how about Mag using pull and then shooting the Supra with Shred Mod. Has anyone tried it out yet? was just thinking it might be amazing

Problem is, I personally would stay away from using Mag.

Sure, it's cool to do some fancy tricks with Pull, and that's not a bad idea, but a good Miasma or Molecular Prime might just do the job quicker, and most likely better, especially since Miasma/Molecular Prime/Etc go through walls, and Pull/Supra doesn't.

How can you suggest a weapon that shoots once a second and not even deal damage?

If at all it would be Ogris for a single shot

but hey most sidearms are the best weapons in the game anyways due to amazing mod ballancing

acrid #1

Edited by Dexxa-

Problem is, I personally would stay away from using Mag.

Sure, it's cool to do some fancy tricks with Pull, and that's not a bad idea, but a good Miasma or Molecular Prime might just do the job quicker, and most likely better, especially since Miasma/Molecular Prime/Etc go through walls, and Pull/Supra doesn't.

Pull actually affects enemies behind walls, just that they might not make it to the spot right in front of you.

Mag's pull gather mobs from up to 60+ metres away, making it easier for comboing ultis. Imagine each explosion of Nova's Prime affecting every other enemy.

I was assuming perfect world, where all warframes' ultis are balanced in usefulness and also balanced with weapons (no reliance on weapon or skill), such that Mag would specialize in using puncturing weapons, while other warframes have theirs.

Back to real world, Mag (my fav warframe btw) will have to consider her options ><. I've already been using this method with flux btw, and it's beastly attacking 3 enemies at once (while crouching). But the small spread and messy pile of mobs make it hard to deal the max dmg, so I was thinking....Supra...

Well, snipers were never supposed to have high DPS; they focus on front-ended damage in the form of high DPH as DPS doesn't mean anything if you can kill a target in one shot. Remember, DPS isn't everything.

I'm well aware of that. The OP specifically asked for single-target DPS, though, to which many people responded "Paris prime / dread".