The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Chroma Great Again

ShiraHagane

First, the problems with Chroma:

• His original niche of solo tank with good gun buffs has been lost.
    • The nerf to vex armor quartered his eHP, meaning Inaros can get more eHP without using a single ability, and other Warframes easily surpass his eHP potential.
    • Making his damage buff additive unnecessarily complicates modding weapons (looking at you too Amp) while not affecting his first and fourth abilities which desperately need the damage buff.
  • There's a wild disparity in each elemental ward's effectiveness, and none of them are very good compared to similar Warframe buffs.
  • The reason he was changed was to make it so you can't one shot Eidolons, which you can still do, and Chroma's even better if you don't count the bug fix.

What to Change:

• Passive: give Chroma an actual passive and give him a way to switch elements in mission, just like equinox.
    • 10% of damage done to health is returned as energy.
    • Starting element is still determined by energy color.

• completely scrap Spectral scream
    • His new first ability is a buff which allows you to cycle elements.
      •  similar to the elemental damage augments, it will grant 15/20/25/30% elemental damage (additive with other elemental and physical mods) of whatever element you cast it in.
        • Does not combine with other elements on your weapons.
        • elemental damage is affected by power strength
      • It works like quiver in that you can cycle elements and cast to change.
    • costs 50 energy (affected by efficiency) and has no duration or range.
      • The augment works when casting the same element as what's on your guns.
        • costs 25 energy, damage set to 50/100/150/200, gains damage bonus from vex armor.

• Elemental ward rework
    • Elemental ward is changed to a 1-handed action, like vex armor, and is recast-able.
      • Ice ward reduced to +40/60/80/100% armor, additive with armor mods.  Ice reflection remains unchanged.
      • Fire ward reduced to +20/30/40/50% health, multiplicative with modded health and grants 10/15/20/25 health/s regen.  Damage aura range increased to 8/10/15/18 meters.
      • Electric ward increased to +50/100/150/200% shields, multiplicative with modded shields.  Electric arc range increased to 12/15/20/25 meters.
      • Toxic ward also increases fire rate by +5/10/15/20%, additive with modded fire rate.  Damage aura range increased to 8/10/15/18 meters.
        • All buffs, status chance, toxic ward damage chance, and fire, ice, and electric ward damage are affected by power strength.
    • Aura ranges increased to 8/10/15/18 meters and are affected normally by mods.
    • Augment is changed to halved effects when out of range, but also applies halved vex armor buffs.
    • Costs 75 energy (affected by efficiency).

• Vex armor changes
    • Ability mechanics remain unchanged, but calculations are changed as follows:
      • Armor buff is reduced to +100/150/200/250%, multiplicative with ice ward and armor mods, and requires the same 400 shields to reach maximum effectiveness.
      • Damage buff reduced to +30/45/60/75%, multiplicative with damage mods, and applies to abilities as well.  Requires a total of 200 health to reach maximum effectiveness.
    • Armor buff is halved and damage buff applies in full to teammates, 8/10/15/18 meters range affected by range mods.
    • Buff indicators no longer start at 100%, but display the actual buff percentage.
    • Recasting halves the current bonuses.

• Effigy changes
    • Mechanics remain unchanged, armor penalty reduced to -30% of max armor.
      • base health of 800/1200/1600/2000, scales with health mods and fire ward.
      • base armor of 350/400/450/500, scales with armor mods, ice ward, and vex armor.
      • base damage of 100/150/200/250, scales with primary weapon damage, multi-shot, and fire rate mods as well as vex armor.
      • radial attack damage of 200/300/400/500, scales with same stats, range increased to 10 meters
      • radial howl remains unchanged
      • Speed buff reduced to +15%, multiplicative with modded movement speed
      • credit bonus remains unchanged
    • base health, damage, and speed increase are affected by power strength, costs 50 energy with 10/s energy drain

What this rework accomplishes:

• This rework does many things, but the main thing is it puts Chroma back into his original niche without further increasing his meta potential.
    • Reintroduces synergy between elemental ward and vex armor.
    • Makes armor mods not linearly worse than power strength mods in increasing eHP.
    • Improves the tankiness of electric ward compared to fire and ice.
    • Makes Chroma's first ability worth using and adds to his theme and synergy.
    • Brings Effigy in line with other summoning abilities.
    • Reduces "one-shot" potential for Eidolons, while still keeping him a viable buff frame.
Edited by ShiraHagane

3 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Topic title should be "Make Spoiled Chroma mains Great Again".

It isn't spoiled do the fact that about 75% of chromas kit is completely useless and that his only use is being a buff slave for eidolon hunts. 

edit: its the equivelant of calling a wukong main spoiler for wanting his entire kit to be actually useful.

Edited by (XB1)ultamite hero

1 minute ago, hooperinius said:

We'll be seeing a lot more threads because his Prime is out now but he won't be changed for awhile. They just reworked him after all.

On the plus side they made Nezha lots more fun so maybe one day they'll fix Chroma too.

"they just reworked him"

They nerfed vex armor, what are you talking about "rework"?

This doesn't really do much for Chroma.  You just added another buff skill and an element switch and tweaked some numbers. Why add a switch if fire and ice are the only ones worth using? Why do some players think that's a good idea? It isn't. It's a gimmick and would potentially gimp chroma because electric and toxin are too niche to build for. 

1 minute ago, Sajochi said:

This doesn't really do much for Chroma.  You just added another buff skill and an element switch and tweaked some numbers. Why add a switch if fire and ice are the only ones worth using? Why do some players think that's a good idea? It isn't. It's a gimmick and would potentially gimp chroma because electric and toxin are too niche to build for. 

That's like saying vauban's bounce pad and trip wire are too niche so you should only be able to take one grenade into a mission.

27 minutes ago, ShiraHagane said:

That's like saying vauban's bounce pad and trip wire are too niche so you should only be able to take one grenade into a mission.

They kind of are tho >.> 

Not really sure how that proves your concept as good. Element switch will not solve a thing. It just adds a gimmick to a mediocre kit. 

Just now, Sajochi said:

They kind of are tho >.> 

Not really sure how that proves your concept as good. Element switch will not solve a thing. It just adds a gimmick to a mediocre kit. 

You're saying mediocre as if there are frames with worse kits.

It's not adding a gimmick, it's making Chroma's gimmick actually usable.  Do you remember what Chroma's tag line was when he was released?  Master of the elements.  But at the moment, he's only the master of one.  Imagine if equinox could only have access to day or night in a mission.

12 minutes ago, ShiraHagane said:

You're saying mediocre as if there are frames with worse kits.

It's not adding a gimmick, it's making Chroma's gimmick actually usable.  Do you remember what Chroma's tag line was when he was released?  Master of the elements.  But at the moment, he's only the master of one.  Imagine if equinox could only have access to day or night in a mission.

If the only argument is "but this frame has blah blah" then you will never get why it won't work for Chroma. I will never agree on something that is not beneficial in the slightest and is just tacked on "because reasons."

If the only argument is "but this frame has blah blah" then you will never get why it won't work for Chroma. I will never agree on something that is not beneficial in the slightest and is just tacked on "because reasons."

Sorry that you can't make the simple jump in logic to understand that when one wants to make a point they have to use things like examples.

1 minute ago, ShiraHagane said:

Sorry that you can't make the simple jump in logic to understand that when one wants to make a point they have to use things like examples.

Your examples are frames who are vastly different from chroma and from eachother. Equinox technically has 7 abilities, each similar in mechanics and yet have different purposes that all work. Vauban got the switch mechanic because reasons and had to get another pass recently to get his kit in somewhat working order. Chroma is a master of elements, but switching on the fly gives A) Raw power that will have to compensated (read: nerf) for and B) doesn't address the disparity between the boons each element provides. That's why I'm against such a blatantly stupid addition, it will not solve a thing because there's more issues in Chroma's kit than his 1 and 4. You're asking for more of the same, a frame that is as intuitive as watching a timer and holding left click.

Your examples are frames who are vastly different from chroma and from eachother. Equinox technically has 7 abilities, each similar in mechanics and yet have different purposes that all work. Vauban got the switch mechanic because reasons and had to get another pass recently to get his kit in somewhat working order. Chroma is a master of elements, but switching on the fly gives A) Raw power that will have to compensated (read: nerf) for and B) doesn't address the disparity between the boons each element provides. That's why I'm against such a blatantly stupid addition, it will not solve a thing because there's more issues in Chroma's kit than his 1 and 4. You're asking for more of the same, a frame that is as intuitive as watching a timer and holding left click.

so what's your solution?  Or did you just come here to S#&$ on my ideas?

3 minutes ago, ShiraHagane said:

so what's your solution?  Or did you just come here to S#&$ on my ideas?

You want my solution? 

There's just one of my threads, the more recent chroma one I did because I love the hell out of this frame and want to see an actual fully functioning kit. But since you want to argue and use weak defenses, I guess my time was wasted here. Good day.

4 minutes ago, Sajochi said:

You want my solution? 

There's just one of my threads, the more recent chroma one I did because I love the hell out of this frame and want to see an actual fully functioning kit. But since you want to argue and use weak defenses, I guess my time was wasted here. Good day.

Well since all you did was say my arguments weren't valid, and I quote "because reasons", I can hardly think you'd have much to say anyway.