Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laptop for the plains

Zorah_Magdaros

Question

Hey there folks, I'm considering getting a new laptop and I wanted to play some warframe on it, but I have no clue about mobile CPUs and GPUs so I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with playing especially in the plains on an i7 7700HQ, a GTX 1050(not Ti) and 16GB RAM. Is there a limit on what settings I can play on for the most graphically difficult part of the game(which I'm guessing would be the plains) or should I be fine going with that laptop. I've also found some better setups in terms of CPU and GPU but the one I picked out is nice and lightweight so I wouldn'tve to worry about carrying it somewhere. 

Hope you can help and thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Zorah_Magdaros

17 answers to this question

I can't speak to the specific stats, but I play on an 8GB RAM laptop and... it's ok. The plains take a long time to load, and I have to use the lowest graphical settings (including the ugly adaptive resolution), but you'd have a better experience than I do.

Thanks a lot for the answers so far and yeah I know about the 1050Ti being a good bit better but my issue is I'm on a pretty tight budget of 1000€ and to be honest the 1.8kg of the laptop im currently looking at (Msi stealth) are from my current perspective just worth more to me than the performance I would gain with the 1050Ti  by going for a laptop with at least 500g more or even the 1060 and 8750HQ I could get by going for a 3kg laptop because I usually just play warframe and league of Legends with some csgo or overwatch on the side and I guess I'm just unlucky if I happen to wanna play something more graphically intense on my laptop. I think I'd rather just go with the higher portability and play just league or warframe more often than regretting to carry a brick with me all the time just in case I wanna play something more intense and if it's just at home I can just use my good desktop pc. 

Edited by Zorah_Magdaros

vor 1 Minute schrieb zteeldragon:

Overkill for warframe but not enough for MHW, it eats up CPU too crazy because how bad optimised it is. I recommend external GPU set up with a i7 laptop with x4 Thunderbolt 3 port.

Well I won't really play MHW on it, that's just my ingame name because I liked it 😅

Well I run an i5 4210u with geforce 840m, I never had issues with any tileset including POE(even during eidolon hunts), as long as you can accept 30-45fps. Only thing I have kept on low is particle effect, Since some weps like arca plasmor can be an issue. I will be changing to my new laptop in 2 days with i7 8750H, GTX 1060 and 16gb ddr4 ram.

Also if you're looking for lightweight and powerful go for something like asus zephyrus , gigabyte aero. If you can take slightly bulky but better thermals you can go for something like MSI ge,gp series(kinda same thermal setup).

Well from what I can see all those recommended laptops with a similar or better setup are at minimum 1.5 times my budget so sorry but I'll have to pass on those.

The one I'm currently most likely to get is the MSI GS63 7RD-225 Stealth (15,6"FHD i7-7700HQ 16GB/256GB SSD GTX1050 

9 minutes ago, Zorah_Magdaros said:

Thanks a lot for the answers so far and yeah I know about the 1050Ti being a good bit better but my issue is I'm on a pretty tight budget of 1000€ and to be honest the 1.8kg of the laptop im currently looking at (Msi stealth) are from my current perspective just worth more to me than the 1050Ti I would gain by going for a laptop with at least 500g more or even the 1060 and 8750HQ I could get by going for a 3kg laptop because I usually just play warframe and league of Legends with some csgo or overwatch on the side and I guess I'm just unlucky if I happen to wanna play something more graphically intense on my laptop. I think I'd rather just go with the higher portability and play just league or warframe more often than regretting to carry a brick with me all the time just in case I wanna play something more intense and if it's just at home I can just use my good desktop pc. 

I would rather recommend not going for the gs65 stealth from msi,while a good laptop, it has issues with hinges getting damages very easily.
Also what about the Dell G3, Asus TUF series, MSI GE,GL lineup, Acer Helios 300?

Edited by SharkPot

What kind of damages? And as I said I don't really have a ton of other options, I could go for the MSI GL62M 7REX-2285 but that's 2.4kg for basically just adding in a 1050Ti instead of just the 1050 or there is an acer nitro model with a 1060 and 8750 but as I mentioned that would weigh nearly 3kg and I doubt I would use it as a laptop that often and then it's just thrown out money too because I can just use my desktop at home 🤐

For the acer TUF I could go for this model:

https://www.campuspoint.de/asus-edu-90nr00s2-m04220.html

It was one of the ones I originally looked up on but I didn't get any input on whether it was good or not. 

The acer Helios 300 has the weight issue of being 3+kg again and I didn't really wanna go for a 17" laptop(both for size and weight reasons) 

I'll look into the ge series and the dell g3, but it'll take some time as I've used up my high speed data and don't have WiFi rn 

Well from what I know the GS 65 chassis has a lot of flex, and also caused hinges to crack and such. As far as I see, I don't think GS65 and GS 53 share same shell so it should be ok. I bought myself the GE 63 8rf and a Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen for mys sister. I haven't got a chance to test them, Since I ordered them back home. But from what I hear, They are pretty good.
Also checkout msi GF series and HP pavilion gaming and omen series.

Edited by SharkPot

Hmm well if it isn't an issue for the one I'm looking at I'm not really worried plus I don't intend to drop or hammer it too often 😅

The ge series is either too low spec for me or too expensive and the dells have the same issue of being more expensive with usually just an i5 8300H and more weight. 

So it'd basically just be a race between the tuf with 2,2kg and a 1050Ti but also just an 8300H or the MSI stealth GS63 with a 7700HQ but just a 1050,but also just being 1.8kg. 

Ok I also found this oneLaptop in my price range on a campus programfor which I can even afford to add in the 8GB memory expansion so I guess I have the right laptop for me, 1.9kg and all my other specifications are there, I might wait for Black Friday deals to see if I can find something better for the same price like a 1060 but I think it'll be hard to beat this one at a ~1050€ price range(considering there's a 19% VAT in Germany). 

I have an Asus nitro 5 with a 1050ti. It works great. I caught it on sale for less than $700 usd. If you're not in a hurry, just wait for some sales. 

Acer NH.Q2QAA.012 Nitro 5, 7th Gen Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 10 Home, Shale Black, AN515-51-53W5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PXNPG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xif6Bb3RP4TGS

This has more ram than mine, plus I didn't get the extra 1tb drive