Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ammo Mutation & Ammo Drum

WarRelic

Perhaps Ammo Drum/Primed Ammo Drum could make "Trigger: Automatic" weapons have a magazine size equal to the base ammo pool with a negative ammo pool modifier for the base mod and no modifier for the primed version to be used in conjunction with Ammo Mutation mods.

All weapons without "Trigger: Automatic" would just get "Ammo Drum" in its current form

(2 utility mods instead of damage) Thoughts?

I'm saying bypass the reload mechanic all together on automatic (primaries) with a penalty to ammo cap. Sounds silly now. A bit of insomnia at the moment. Maybe triple the ammo pool but you can't get ammo pickups during the mission and never have to reload that weapon, but when the ammo's spent that's it. Just like a minigun. 

For the rambo moment like when you get a relic buff on your automatic weapons.

Edited by WarRelic

Ammo Mutation, Ammo Pool and often Reload Speed mods don't get used because using them drops the weapon's performance below competitive range with other weapons that don't need such mods. Combining the mods as an improvement though I don't think it would really work. Bypassing the Reload mechanic is also a lil silly and removes the "feel" of a weapon well as that fraction of strategy for when or when not to reload.

I've thought about Ammo Economy in general as an endurance runner because it keeps me from using weapon I'd otherwise enjoy using. I don't think there's any mod-based solution right now. When you design a weapon with an obvious weakness; you instead make the compensating mod a staple instead of optional utility and if that forced staple mod drops the weapon below comparable performance to other weapons well, then why use it. Such is the state of Ammo Mutation and most Automatics.

The best solutions I've come up with is to simply increase Rifle Ammo Drops to x40 instead of x20 since when you compare the amount of ammo a typical automatic rifle uses to kill a target to a pistol it's almost silly both pick-ups give the same ammo amount. The other is to have a Utility Only slot, similar to Exlius for Warframes.

I wouldn't consider Reload Speed Utility though. It can have a direct impact on DPS at the expense of ammo economy.