Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Very, Very Bad Accessibility Design

tobascodagama

Tracking footprints is a bad experience for anyone with visual impairments, especially colour-blindness. Even as someone without colour-blindness, I still find it difficult to pick out tracks from "noisy" backgrounds like rocks or fungus. This part of the minigame needs a way to improve the contrast on the footprints. Most people I've heard of are just wandering around looking for the glowing callpoint rather than following the tracks.

The call and response minigame is also bad for anyone with hearing impairments (or those with good hearing who can't play in perfectly silent environments). There's a visual indicator that shows you the pitch of your lure, but no visual indicator for the pitch of the call the animal is making. This isn't just bad for those who are hard of hearing, it also causes problems for those who are merely tone deaf.

Even as a person who is fully sighted and has more or less normal hearing, I find these tasks difficult to perform, and judging by Reddit, etc., I'm not alone. This is one of those cases where using a disability consultant could have really improved the gameplay experience for all of your players.

While I agree about the tracks being far from "final version" worthy (they disappear half the time and I have to move my cam in weird angle to see them). The luring sound part is actually quite easy and nice. You just press lmb and go up down a little, then the animal will respond and it will trigger a bar on the lure interface. Place the cursor so the shiny dot align and just keep it aligned. I do them with sound off.

9 hours ago, Vantooth said:

While I agree about the tracks being far from "final version" worthy (they disappear half the time and I have to move my cam in weird angle to see them). The luring sound part is actually quite easy and nice. You just press lmb and go up down a little, then the animal will respond and it will trigger a bar on the lure interface. Place the cursor so the shiny dot align and just keep it aligned. I do them with sound off.

The direction that their call comes from is suppose to tell you the direction the animal is going to spawn.

That is the issue the OP is talking about. If you have a hearing impediment or any other reason you can't hear it, you have no idea which direction you need to go to hide and not scare off you target the moment they spawn.

5 hours ago, Foefaller said:

The direction that their call comes from is suppose to tell you the direction the animal is going to spawn.

That is the issue the OP is talking about. If you have a hearing impediment or any other reason you can't hear it, you have no idea which direction you need to go to hide and not scare off you target the moment they spawn.

Oh, well I never had much trouble since I would just get on high ground. But knowing where they come from would be nice and make things smoother. Maybe add a visual indicator like a sound radar that tells you which direction the sound is from? I'm totally in favor of something like that.

17 hours ago, tobascodagama said:

The call and response minigame is also bad for anyone with hearing impairments (or those with good hearing who can't play in perfectly silent environments). There's a visual indicator that shows you the pitch of your lure, but no visual indicator for the pitch of the call the animal is making. This isn't just bad for those who are hard of hearing, it also causes problems for those who are merely tone deaf.

5 hours ago, Foefaller said:

OP was talking indeed talking about the call pitch minigame and there's no problem with that.

I will agree that a visual indicator for what direction the animal call came from would be a nice touch.

Even with perfect hearing, i ran away from the call to hide and ran into the animals, scaring them.