The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Cosplay

Barrymweb10

I would go Derf, but I'm really looking for something simpler right now, and Nef sounds pretty good to get started!

Mayhaps when I make my FROST costume later on, I'll re-use the corpus helmet, hehe.

If your doing a Frost cosplay custome you should make a FROST PRIME out of it, that's my suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to begin work on a Frost warframe but I'm taking the time to properly plan it out. Hoping to post up a brown-paper template version of the heavy jacket and see what you guys think before I move on to the white leather (gunna be fun to find a seller of that stuff). Lots of zippers are going to be involved in this one XD so far I've skimmed the jacket down to 8 seperate pieces but that's still being conservative. Had an idea where I put a zipper down the back of the of the neck as well as the front so I can take the plate off the top and fold the neck down for comfort. All in the preliminary stages. Anyone found any costumes besides the unfinished ember and the volt online?

I've had an idea for making a paper-mache custom Warframe mask/helmet, but I'm horribly inartistic and not really sure where I'd begin with the entire process. I'll get back to you all if I ever actually begin work on something.

Paper mache is a decent idea, however I find you end up getting fairly limited in what you can do (what with it being moulded around a certain shape like a balloon and not being able to sand it easily). Using a product like "Paper-Clay" solves some of those problems because you can sand it into whatever shape you want, but it's not very easy to work with... sticky and clumpy and whatnot. What I would suggest is perhaps getting one of those foam heads or something you can build up around and start playing with cardboard or heavy card-stock. cutting out interesting shapes and putting them on. You might find something you'd like. Assuming you find some shape you like you could THEN go on to adding paper mache or paper clay on top of the cardboard and you'd get far more interesting shapes than just a sphere.

EDIT: Update on my current project, I've got the template sketched up and I'm gunna start cutting and gluing together the mock-up Frost jacket. I don't have a mannequin so I might have a hard time getting good images of it for you guys. (My sketchs)

2crldi1.jpg

Edited by PhaZone

Paper mache is a decent idea, however I find you end up getting fairly limited in what you can do (what with it being moulded around a certain shape like a balloon and not being able to sand it easily). Using a product like "Paper-Clay" solves some of those problems because you can sand it into whatever shape you want, but it's not very easy to work with... sticky and clumpy and whatnot. What I would suggest is perhaps getting one of those foam heads or something you can build up around and start playing with cardboard or heavy card-stock. cutting out interesting shapes and putting them on. You might find something you'd like. Assuming you find some shape you like you could THEN go on to adding paper mache or paper clay on top of the cardboard and you'd get far more interesting shapes than just a sphere.

<Epic concept art>

The idea I've got in my head right now is to use wire pipe cleaners to provide some sort of custom frame that I can mold around. The guides I read for making cosplay masks online suggested what you did as well, however I don't want to spend that kind of money on this project (probably the wrong thing for me to look into then, isn't it?) still I'll keep this thread and your suggestions in mind if I ever want to go full-hog with this project.

The idea I've got in my head right now...

I wouldn't suggest wire pipe cleaners for that one, they aren't very structurally sound... mainly with the soggy paper mache. However a head sized balloon, card stock and a pack of paper clay is under 15 dollars at a local craft store if you're worried about cost. I really suggest against using newspaper-strand paper mache simply because it's impossible to sand and doesn't paint well. Also suggest doing a bit of sketching and planning in advance, it really helps out a lot with this sort of thing. (regardless of artistic ability, knowing where you want and eye or a bulge is always good to know) I put together a "Payday 2" mask and a "Princess Mononoke" mask together with less than 30 dollars worth of materials but they were only half the face in terms of clay. Whatever you plan on doing I'm interested to see what you come up with :D.

Edited by PhaZone

I wouldn't suggest wire pipe cleaners for that one, they aren't very structurally sound... mainly with the soggy paper mache. However a head sized balloon, card stock and a pack of paper clay is under 15 dollars at a local craft store if you're worried about cost. I really suggest against using newspaper-strand paper mache simply because it's impossible to sand and doesn't paint well. Also suggest doing a bit of sketching and planning in advance, it really helps out a lot with this sort of thing. (regardless of artistic ability, knowing where you want and eye or a bulge is always good to know) I put together a "Payday 2" mask and a "Princess Mononoke" mask together with less than 30 dollars worth of materials but they were only half the face in terms of clay. Whatever you plan on doing I'm interested to see what you come up with :D.

Hmm, that's helpful. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into that (as well as where I can find a local craft store, small town around me). I've known I'll have to have a sketch done in advance, and I've already got something of an idea in mind (at least for the paintjob); the hard part will be trying to incorporate the lighting "energy" features you see on the Warframe masks (that is something of a goal, bollocks if I know how I'll do it at this juncture, though).

EDIT: In terms of size, though, I'm only looking to make something that covers the face and maybe back enough to cover the ears. I don't need a full helmet (hence my using of the terms mask) because I plan on having a cloak/hood thing (think Megatron from Dark of the Moon) take up part of the look as well (which is an entire different matter).

Edited by Morec0

Hmm, that's helpful..

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/xmas/xmas_led_wiring2.jpg

Solder, Tiny LEDS, copper wire and, a 9 volt battery my friend. That whole package is less than 5 bucks on a bad day and takes almost no skill to set up. You just need to know how to use a soldering iron without burning yourself. (Be sure to ask whoever you're getting it from what resistors you'd need for the LEDs you use.)

http://teaching.ericforman.com/wp-content/uploads/LED11.gif

I'm bad at explaining things.

Edited by PhaZone