Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield. Why Not? (Ideas)

MrMuscle88

I do love tanks. So i choose one of them - Frost. But there was a feeling that something was missing... Exactly!The shield =) What do you think of this? to add shield as a melee weapon?

Shild:
- this could be a weapon of defense, so its damage and attack speed will be low;
- while shield is equipped, block absorbs all damage from front attacks and defends from knockdowns (finally there will be reason to install Endurance mods));
- perhaps, shield even could passively add armor (about 40-50), that will be useful for unarmored warframes;
- charged attacks (Shield Bash) could knock down enemies and normal attacks - stun;
- while shield is equipped, slightly slows down the speed.

And if  really go crazy, then maybe give an opportunity to use a shield as a primary weapon instead of guns (possibly throw it like glaive) in addition to a standart melee weapon? =) so that it would be able to use them together.

Edited by MrMuscle88

I want to see shield in this game, same as the grinders are using. 

it should be used as the melee weapons, and blocking same way as the current weapons do. It should have much less dmg bash output as the other weapons, but it should be able to knowdown or stun.

Now some can complain that shields arent for ninjas playstyle, Then how about defense missions does it sounds as the ninja missions tho, or Rhino. The real ninja playstyle I only see is Ash, Exalibur and Loki and thats it. So yes I agree and I completly want to see shields in this game

I think there should be some more variations of it.

Like heavy ( only shield), Medium (usable to use side arms, same as grinder) and Light(usable to use it with short and long melee weapons) that would make sense. Each of those should have some benefical aspects, like for instance heavy, huge armor boost, maybe even energy shields boost, decresed movement speed and so on

Edited by WCdesign

If they gave you a Grineer shield then you would likely have to give up your primary weapon in order to slot the thing. That would leave you with your secondary weapon as your only non-melee weapon. Obviously you would not be able to use dual secondary weapons but it might still have a use in game, though limited.

Perhaps if the bottom of the shield was edged and it could be thrust outward and into an enemy as a slow but powerful melee attack.

It would need balancing regardless.

If this is taken into consideration, I would love to see some extra animation from the difference of an "idle" (closed and neatly compacted) and "active" (open and actually shielding) state, as the shield is a modification to your arm so you don't to pull it off your back.

As for the melee aspect, I would like to see integration of shield attacks; instead of a one handed weapon combo. Much more interesting and unique in my opinion.

if they put shields in game i would hope they made it like an energy shield we could equip to the frame that only activated when we use block (but actually work)

and it would be awesome if it looked and or worked kinda like the one Kruger uses in the new Mat Damon movie elysium, still causing a hell of a lot of knock back damage and should drain energy quick (like a last minute, desperate survival shield deploy)

it would be awesome to cover a team member who is reviving a downed player.

i wouldn't like to see an actual shield in game, it may break the style of game play.

vid for ref. (35.sec.in)

pics for ref.
http://www.reelfilmnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/elysium-kruger_s-shield-part-1.jpg

http://timsfilmreviews.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/elysium-kruger_s-shield-part-2.jpg

Ohohoh I sense a Troll team of shields! but its ok, It is not going be too powerful.  here is the problem. ppl who want have big shield have to use short sword or dagger size cuz in the knight time, kite shield was mostly used by the knight keep their long sword, so...2 hand sword is no no shield.  if just regular sword and shield and it would be good old day knight style.  but they go slow with the shield., yet again I would like be Captain America if you let me customized my shield be circle and almost have the painting close captain america's shield then yes I would run around with that and be like "F##! yea, like a boss" it would be perfect for Rhino class.  Bashing enemies with my shield of right and I would never stop F##* around with that *O* (my overjoy face)

Anyway, having big shield will make player slow which we have to have "weight" control on tennos players so shield have to nerf the player's speed.  light or medium shield. meh, not nerf at all.  If ur just running with shield, no other melee weapons, its ok at lest its not giant shield at lest.

P.S I 1+ u all which it is genius to add as well, at lest the old shield days are not dead of time period of age.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

No throwing weapons with the shield, too OP attacker and defensive style.  Keep the pistol or SMG version be ok.  Heavy weapons like rifle or a 2 h shotgun shouldn't be able use the shield.

Oh i agree completely, i wasnt thinking of one handing a gorgon with it lol, i was thinking of only being able to use the shield with just a sidearm like the damn shield lancers, and shield bash too that could topple heavies over, aswell as having the ability to resist knockdown if the shield is up.

kunai would be odd with it though...

Oh i agree completely, i wasnt thinking of one handing a gorgon with it lol, i was thinking of only being able to use the shield with just a sidearm like the damn shield lancers, and shield bash too that could topple heavies over, aswell as having the ability to resist knockdown if the shield is up.

kunai would be odd with it though...

that would reduce magazine clip and also slower fire rate for kunais and other throwing side arms weapons. Melee is fine for it, for now.

Thank you for your support.
Any items can be transformed into deadly weapons in the hands of a Ninja, especially if it's Tenno from Warframes =) So at least light or energy shield mentioned by Mr_Slippy_Fist (thanks by the way for this example) should ideally integrate into the game.

However, I understand that shield as a primary weapon will never be. It raises a lot of problems, such as balance or what modifications installed on it. But as a melee weapon it should work...

Some ideas:

The charge attack should do a mini yellow bubble that makes you invulnrable for say 5 seconds with a 1 second wind up. While out you should be imune to knockdown too. Attacks would be a parry sheild bash blunt hit for say 15 damage or something minor but cause knock down (25%) or stun (50%) if knock down doesn't happen. This would have short dagger like range woot. Parry's take say 50% bullet damage, but only 5% melee.

I would prob lay down some plat get one for the fun of it.. as long as the attacks are fast, and the sheild stays out for say 2 second when you tap it (tapping melee extends the time, but makes you move at 50% speed).

Neat idea... here is some concept art, just for DE to use, free of charge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101599574@N07/9719847829/lightbox/

Thank you for your support.

Any items can be transformed into deadly weapons in the hands of a Ninja, especially if it's Tenno from Warframes =) So at least light or energy shield mentioned by Mr_Slippy_Fist (thanks by the way for this example) should ideally integrate into the game.

However, I understand that shield as a primary weapon will never be. It raises a lot of problems, such as balance or what modifications installed on it. But as a melee weapon it should work...

Unless its an SMG as your primary weapon.  Then it wouldn't be problem.  Assault rifle or above it is an no no. which sorry for that.  Have to nerf such thing just in case great shield trollers using all gorgon  or someone with bow and arrows will make no sense at all using the shield same time as blocking.

Which there is no objection of shields for it but I think its really fun using the shield.

Some ideas:

The charge attack should do a mini yellow bubble that makes you invulnrable for say 5 seconds with a 1 second wind up. While out you should be imune to knockdown too. Attacks would be a parry sheild bash blunt hit for say 15 damage or something minor but cause knock down (25%) or stun (50%) if knock down doesn't happen. This would have short dagger like range woot. Parry's take say 50% bullet damage, but only 5% melee.

I would prob lay down some plat get one for the fun of it.. as long as the attacks are fast, and the sheild stays out for say 2 second when you tap it (tapping melee extends the time, but makes you move at 50% speed).

Neat idea... here is some concept art, just for DE to use, free of charge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101599574@N07/9719847829/lightbox/

we still able deflect bullets still, it just that the shield have more protection cover around them unlike the sword by itself.

Like one my wise neighbor said "A man with a shield is not coward when he is blocking flaming arrows falling from the sky".

Edited by ChaoticEdge