Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Salvaging Near-miss Riven Rolls. A suggestion.

Trentiel

Locking Riven Stats would tank the riven market, make it too easy to get perfect and highly meta Riven mods. It's a contentious issue because the players want power and freedom, and DE wants a sustainable market. This is not what I'm about to suggest. Locking Riven Stats is an idea going no where.

Here's a request I've never heard anyone field before. The ability to REMOVE a stat. Haven't you gotten that PERFECT roll, except for -damage or -multishot or +puncture on a strictly elemental weapon? If there was an item that allowed us to remove one stat, all those near-miss highly-frustrating rolls would suddenly become opportunities. They don't happen all the time, but when they do they make me groan.

The idea here is that the item would be only usable once per-roll. Its effect only applies to the current roll. You roll the riven's stats again and it rolls like normal, 2-4 stats. If you want to remove a stat on a fresh roll you have to apply another of these items. You wouldn't really want to though, since you're probably taking a near-perfect roll and trimming the fat. But it would have very stable standard rules, you wouldn't really be able to exploit it, just... fudge your luck a bit. You would not be adding a preferred stat, you're not forcing a specific outcome. The idea is that you're rescuing a botched roll.

Edge cases would involve RIvens with only 2 stats. Do you let a player create impossible rolls, like 1 stat rivens? or 1 positive 1 negative stat riven? Maybe, Maybe. That's up to DE. I think it's fine, a riven with only one stat value, say damage, might be a little ridiculous and not what DE intended with rivens, but it's also not exactly meta. People want rivens with multiple stats in most instances, because it allows them to sneak on modifiers that they wouldn't have room for otherwise. Like punch-through or reload speed.

Edited by Trentiel
Grammar.

Removal of a stat is almost no different than locking a stat from the way I look at it.

Rivens should be solely based on RNG and nothing other than RNG should influence the outcome of them.  It's too late to make any types of changes to the way stats are generated in the system without disrupting the market for them and will make a lot of people upset.

That is patently false. Locking a stat would allow you to brute force the outcome, slowly locking in your preferred roll with each successive roll.

Removing a stat, once, per roll. With no carry over, would just help with near misses. Where you roll almost ideal stats, but for one that tanks the whole affair. Like -damage. There's plenty of rolls that wouldn't benefit from such a feature.

7 hours ago, Trentiel said:

Locking a stat would allow you to brute force the outcome, slowly locking in your preferred roll with each successive roll.

That's based on the assumption that you can lock multiple stats permanently. What if you can only lock one stat, and only for one roll?

That said, I do think stat locking with few limitations is the way to go. Would it tank the riven market and piss off some people? Absolutely yes. Do I care? Absolutely not. Yeah, it would piss off a few hundred nolifers who farm kuva like it's their full-time job, but it would make the game far more enjoyable for tens of thousands of casual players. I say do the utilitarian thing and maximize the overall good.

Edited by SordidDreams

12 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

That's based on the assumption that you can lock multiple stats permanently. What if you can only lock one stat, and only for one roll?

That said, I do think stat locking with few limitations is the way to go. Would it tank the riven market and piss off some people? Absolutely yes. Do I care? Absolutely not. Yeah, it would piss off a few hundred nolifers who farm kuva like it's their full-time job, but it would make the game far more enjoyable for tens of thousands of casual players. I say do the utilitarian thing and maximize the overall good.

Locking a stat on one roll, and what... just keep locking it? Roll after roll? Even if you can't lock more than one stat permanently, it would still be exploitable. Removing a stat would not. You still have to work with what you're given, you just get veto powers on one stat per roll. It wouldn't be exploitable, while still giving the player the power to salvage near-miss rolls. Increasing the window where we can get something great.

And, while you don't care about the riven market. DE does. So good luck making any suggestion that's going to fly with anyone who is in any position to make this decision.

On 2018-12-26 at 8:07 PM, Trentiel said:

Locking a stat on one roll, and what... just keep locking it? Roll after roll? Even if you can't lock more than one stat permanently, it would still be exploitable. Removing a stat would not. You still have to work with what you're given, you just get veto powers on one stat per roll. It wouldn't be exploitable, while still giving the player the power to salvage near-miss rolls. Increasing the window where we can get something great.

Yes, when I said "only for one roll", I totally meant you could keep locking it over and over. 🙄

On 2018-12-26 at 8:07 PM, Trentiel said:

And, while you don't care about the riven market. DE does. So good luck making any suggestion that's going to fly with anyone who is in any position to make this decision.

Please tell me more about what people you've never met care about.