Lorewise you can say you looted these modules from Vor, but the mods would be

Killing Blow

Redirection

Vitality

Pressure Point

Hornet Strike

Serration

Point Blank

As it stands the newbies have it really rough, considering I reset 100 hours ago, am almost mastery rank 7, and still cannot find Serration...

I mean, how do you get much done without the basic mods?

Edited by Hayden11121

TBH, this would be good. Though I doubt point blank might not be necessary, since most new players may not have a shotty, but definitely have the other weapons, and vitality drops like crazy anyway, so that's unneeded to drop from Vor. This should be a special item, say, "Vor's mod pack" and it should use the Cronus' drop rate algorithm.

I am the resident "Newbie Champion" meaning I'm fighting for the cause of allowing Newbies to experience a more smooth start of Warframe, but to be honest...

I just don't see this.

I'm sorry, I don't.

Serration is an INCREDIBLY powerful mod. Redirection should definitely drop from Lv1+ mobs (like Vitality), sure! But handing out Serration as soon as you kill Vor? Uh... no.

Pressure Point already drops from Lv3-5 Infestation on Mercury. "OMG, Infested for Newbies?" All you do is machinegun the E key, even with an unmodded Skana. You literally cannot die unless you allow the brown guys to stun you (which they can only do if you don't prioritize them with your melee strikes). If you chose Excalibur as your starter and you die in that Infested Mission, uh......I really don't like saying this......but.....seriously? That's PEBKAC. Loki can Invis, and Mag... well, Mag can actually Pull if she sees a brown guy she can't reach in time.

Point Blank is obtainable before Earth (I got one, I forget where. Venus, I think). Not that you're lucky to HAVE a shotgun by Earth; the Strun costs a mountainous 75k credits which no newbie is going to have anyday soon with other credit obligations such as modding, Aklatos, etc.

Killing Blow is wholly overkill and unnecessary for a Newbie. A charged hit from a Skana will outright kill anything up to Earth. Charged Orthos (which is obtainable as early as Venus) will actually kill anything that's not a heavy Unit on Earth. Charged Cronus will very nearly do the same.

Hornet Strike isn't really necessary -- Heated Charge and Convulsion both drop before Earth (Convulsion from Infestation, Heated Charge from Mercury Grineer) which already make your (Single!) Lato more powerful than your Braton that has no damage mods.

Instead of handing everybody insanely powerful mods at the beginning of the game, let's do this:

1). Make Redirection drop in Venus, which means Lv8+.

2). Give Piercing Hit in Venus too. (No Return can already be found there, though rarely).

Do that, and Newbies would have a much more smooth time without just handing everybody free mods.

Edited by Xylia

id say this should be given by the lotus on completion of the missions on the first time, instead of dropping from Vor, there should be a unique dialogue with lotus congratulating you on the boss kill, and rewards you with these starter mods, and say "use them wisely". the reason i say it should be a reward for completion instead of them spraying out from Vor's corpse is to prevent misleading new players to think each time defeating a boss will be rewarded with a explosion of mods.

Except Xylia, now you have Redirection dropping from level 1 areas and anyone trying to get it to rank 10 will spam it and use the duplicates for their mods.

Now every new player is carried. What now?

Read later in my post where I suggest allowing Redirection to drop from Venus.

To a High-Level Player, Jupiter (the first/easiest place Redirection can drop) is like nothing.

Heck, my Newbie Account only has Rhino, and Orthos.........and that's all I need. Actually, I don't even need Rhino. Excalibur is arguably better, because I can one-hit kill the Ancients with Slash Dash, rather than risking my Iron Skin going down at a bad time (which actually happened once and got me killed, where I would have NEVER died as Excalibur).

I just tap the E key repeatedly and I find Redirections there. The problem with newbies is trying to get TO Jupiter without any Redirection at all. And Venus dropping Redirection makes sense -- Corpus are all about shields (their shield ospreys...).

A High Level player can just walk through Jupiter with zero danger. What's the difference between Jupiter and Venus to a high-level trying to rank10 his redirection? And besides, Rank5 Fusion Cores work better; you get far more of them running Xini/Cyath/whatever.

Edited by Xylia

Afterthought:

If anybody thinks I'm bragging about how easy Infested missions are, I'd gladly twitch one. lol. Only thing tho is I'd need some sort of IM or skype or something so I can have some  method of communication, lol.

Or I suppose I could save it and let peeps watch it afterwards. I might do that sometime, do video guides. But I'm a newbie when it comes to video, voice, and editing.

@ Xylia, OP didn't say anything about giving new players maxed out mods. Giving them a few rank 0 mods is hardly game breaking. If they can't afford Strun, i doubt they can afford the 1-2 million necessary to max any of the 10 rank mods.

Rank 0 Serration is easily ranked up to 4-5 with a few Fusion Cores. You don't need Rank10 Serration for it to be ridiculously powerful, a Rank 5 Serration turns a Braton into a Death Machine for anything <Lv30.

I can take a Braton with JUST a Rank5 Serration to Earth and 2-3 shot everything.

We don't need it being THAT easy, jeez.

And "Newbies don't have lots of fusion cores!"

.......I beg to differ. My Newbie Account who has only gone up as far as Europa, has found 40+ of them in the entire time I was doing that newbie account test. Right now, that account has 20+ cores sitting in inventory, with at least 5 of those being R5 or U5s.

And if you want, I could do some tests with a Rank5 Serration and a Braton as I have both.

Edited by Xylia

Lorewise you can say you looted these modules from Vor, but the mods would be

Killing Blow

Redirection

Vitality

No Return

Piercing Hit

Flechette

As it stands the newbies have it really rough, considering I reset 100 hours ago, am almost mastery rank 7, and still cannot find Serration...

I mean, how do you get much done without the basic mods?

Any melee weapon newbies are likely to aquire will not benefit from Pressure Point (not many do).  Giving out % damage mods is too much for your first boss.  That being said, I definitely think that there should be a bonus from all bosses the first time they are killed.  Vor's being redirection, Jackal's being Piercing Hit, and so on in chain of necessity.

As for your particular problem of aquiring serration, go do some low to mid level Grineer defense missions.

Any melee weapon newbies are likely to aquire will not benefit from Pressure Point (not many do).  Giving out % damage mods is too much for your first boss.  That being said, I definitely think that there should be a bonus from all bosses the first time they are killed.  Vor's being redirection, Jackal's being Piercing Hit, and so on in chain of necessity.

As for your particular problem of aquiring serration, go do some low to mid level Grineer defense missions.

Uh.......ALL Melee weapons benefit from Pressure Point. (EDIT: Well ok, Glaive and Kestrel aside)

Sticking a Rank3-4 Pressure Point on Cronus went from killing Earth Light Infested in 2-3 hits to killing them in 1 hit outright.

Sticking Pressure Point on Orthos turns it into a blender on Jupiter. No, seriously, 2-3 swings takes down entire packs of infested on Jupiter and it is only Rank 4 (not Rank 5) on my Newbie thusfar.

Everybody is SO self-absorbed in the "LOL MUST CHARGE ATTACK EVERYTHING!" that they don't realize that machinegunning the E key allows you to just walk through packs of Infested like they're nothing.

And if you're fighting Grineer or Corpus....why are you using your melee weapon? lol. Unless you find, say, a guy hacking a computer terminal and you just wanna lop off his head or something.

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit -- slide attacks count your charge damage, but the attack itself is considered a NORMAL attack. This means that Pressure Point (NOT Killing Blow!) buffs Sliding Attack damage. So, Pressure Point on an Orthos = LOL SLIDE ATTACK! damage. I've popped 1500+ in Jupiter with my Rank4 Pressure Point. But then since everybody is all "LOL KILLING BLOW!" these days, they might not KNOW that.

Edited by Xylia

Uh.......ALL Melee weapons benefit from Pressure Point. (EDIT: Well ok, Glaive and Kestrel aside)

Sticking a Rank3-4 Pressure Point on Cronus went from killing Earth Light Infested in 2-3 hits to killing them in 1 hit outright.

Sticking Pressure Point on Orthos turns it into a blender on Jupiter. No, seriously, 2-3 swings takes down entire packs of infested on Jupiter and it is only Rank 4 (not Rank 5) on my Newbie thusfar.

Everybody is SO self-absorbed in the "LOL MUST CHARGE ATTACK EVERYTHING!" that they don't realize that machinegunning the E key allows you to just walk through packs of Infested like they're nothing.

And if you're fighting Grineer or Corpus....why are you using your melee weapon? lol. Unless you find, say, a guy hacking a computer terminal and you just wanna lop off his head or something.

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit -- slide attacks count your charge damage, but the attack itself is considered a NORMAL attack. This means that Pressure Point (NOT Killing Blow!) buffs Sliding Attack damage. So, Pressure Point on an Orthos = LOL SLIDE ATTACK! damage. I've popped 1500+ in Jupiter with my Rank4 Pressure Point. But then since everybody is all "LOL KILLING BLOW!" these days, they might not KNOW that.

Rank 3-4 pressure point will not be the first priority of someone who's strugling to survive from a distance, for one.  For two, people obsess over charge attacks because meleeing for 70 damage that is reduced by armor is just not a good use of your time.  Machinegunning the E key requires Fury.  You'll do more damage in one charge attack than you will in 3-4 normal swings.  THAT is why people value charge attacks for non armor-ignore weapons.

I don't know why you're on my back about why I'd be using a melee weapon, you're the one who suggested the mods...

Slide attacks count your slide attack damage, not your charge damage.  Here again you cite rank 4 Pressure Point, thus you are no longer keeping in mind new players.  I understand that it got buffed and that it's a good mod now, but it's only useful on a few weapons, none of which are simple to aquire at the early stages of the game.  You will get more bang for your fusion energy, at least at early stages of the game, by leveling and using killing blow.

Fine. Hornet Strike and Serration off Hek then? Some of the later bosses are nightmare incarnate if you don't have basic mods...

Things may be a little different now, but I do remember not getting the base damage mods for quite some time.  As a loki I just used my abilities the best I could while I took down the bosses.  I think I got to neptune before I had my first serration drop (which I instantly ranked to 4).

MeteorKing, on 12 Sept 2013 - 4:34 PM, said:

Things may be a little different now, but I do remember not getting the base damage mods for quite some time. As a loki I just used my abilities the best I could while I took down the bosses. I think I got to neptune before I had my first serration drop (which I instantly ranked to 4).

Sure, but drops rates for serrate and hornet strike now are ridiculous. The OP is mastery 7, he would have had to basically clear the entire galaxy to get to that mastery.

Edited by CloudPies

Sure, but drops rates for serrate and hornet strike now are ridiculous. The OP is mastery 7, he would have had to basically clear the entire galaxy to get to that mastery.

I have noticed a severe lack of Serration and Hornet Strike as of late... But that is a completely different issue.  We're talking about giving new players necessary tools to progress without being at the mercy of RNG and decisions made to keep people from exploiting.  Sorry, but I just don't see new players needing the % damage mods right off the bat.  Even a rank 3-4 damage mod provides a massively greater bonus than other mods at rank 5.  That's not to say that I don't think players should eventually have the ability to earn that mod, perhaps off of an outer planet's boss.  At mastery 0-2, doing Mercury to the first of the gas planets, you just don't need the % damage mods.

We're talking about giving new players necessary tools to progress without being at the mercy of RNG and decisions made to keep people from exploiting.

Exploiting what? Another account getting serration and hornet strike? Firstly, DE has stated there would only be limited trading, I doubt you can trade whatever mod you want at will. Secondly, if it was just given as a 'pack' at the end of the mission instead of a drop, it would be locked onto that account.

Sorry, but I just don't see new players needing the % damage mods right off the bat.  Even a rank 3-4 damage mod provides a massively greater bonus than other mods at rank 5.  That's not to say that I don't think players should eventually have the ability to earn that mod, perhaps off of an outer planet's boss.  At mastery 0-2, doing Mercury to the first of the gas planets, you just don't need the % damage mods.

Sure, Earth maybe?

When did you start playing by the way? Was it before the drop nerf or after? It seems very presumptuous if you played the game with access to basic damage boosters, and assuming new players shouldn't.

Exploiting what? Another account getting serration and hornet strike? Firstly, DE has stated there would only be limited trading, I doubt you can trade whatever mod you want at will. Secondly, if it was just given as a 'pack' at the end of the mission instead of a drop, it would be locked onto that account.

Sure, Earth maybe?

When did you start playing by the way? Was it before the drop nerf or after? It seems very presumptuous if you played the game with access to basic damage boosters, and assuming new players shouldn't.

That's not what I meant by exploiting.  I'm referring to the fact that if we allow for mods such as serration to be dropped on low-level planets such as Mercury, people are just going to plow through Mercury all day long.  I don't mean exploit as in a rule-breaking way, but as a literal term of it's definition.  I agree with you on your next point, but only if it were a one-time deal.

Things may be a little different now, but I do remember not getting the base damage mods for quite some time.  As a loki I just used my abilities the best I could while I took down the bosses.  I think I got to neptune before I had my first serration drop (which I instantly ranked to 4).

You already have the answer to your next question.

Edited by MeteorKing

That's not what I meant by exploiting.  I'm referring to the fact that if we allow for mods such as serration to be dropped on low-level planets such as Mercury, people are just going to plow through Mercury all day long.  I don't mean exploit as in a rule-breaking way, but as a literal term of it's definition.  I agree with you on your next point, but only if it were a one-time deal.

lol, my first post on this thread was

Only after first encounter though. Otherwise I know I'd be farming vor....

You're missing what I'm saying.  I agree with you on the one-time drop aspect.  That is a good suggestion, we have argued whether or not the reward should be x or y mod, but that point stands.

My other point is that you should not add highly sought after mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, etc.) in the drop pool of low level planets.  DE does not want high-level players blasting through low level content for their high-level rewards.

You're missing what I'm saying.  I agree with you on the one-time drop aspect.  That is a good suggestion, we have argued whether or not the reward should be x or y mod, but that point stands.

My other point is that you should not add highly sought after mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, etc.) in the drop pool of low level planets.  DE does not want high-level players blasting through low level content for their high-level rewards.

Just saying, one time drop was at the forefront of my thoughts too.

The one time drop idea seems fine, but only for some on Mercury.

A Redirection and Vitality? Sure. Getting RNG screwed out of those is a major bummer. Serration and the others? Not really. I can relate to the low Serration drop rate, but you really don't NEED it until some of the 25+ bosses. Plenty of elemental mods littered around until then.

Giving multiple bosses that one time drop may work though. But even then, not many of the mods are very game changing to bother. Serration is one. Maybe Hornet Srtike too. A duo of single Redirection and Vitality drop from Vor, Hornet Strike from Ruk and maybe a single Serration from... Nef Anyo could do the job? Wanted to say Hek, but he can be a pain without decent mods.

The rest is fine, even as how fickle our goddess RNG can get. You can push on to higher level systems without them pretty easy.

Rank 3-4 pressure point will not be the first priority of someone who's strugling to survive from a distance, for one.  For two, people obsess over charge attacks because meleeing for 70 damage that is reduced by armor is just not a good use of your time.  Machinegunning the E key requires Fury.  You'll do more damage in one charge attack than you will in 3-4 normal swings.  THAT is why people value charge attacks for non armor-ignore weapons.

I don't know why you're on my back about why I'd be using a melee weapon, you're the one who suggested the mods...

Slide attacks count your slide attack damage, not your charge damage.  Here again you cite rank 4 Pressure Point, thus you are no longer keeping in mind new players.  I understand that it got buffed and that it's a good mod now, but it's only useful on a few weapons, none of which are simple to aquire at the early stages of the game.  You will get more bang for your fusion energy, at least at early stages of the game, by leveling and using killing blow.

You don't need Fury. I did fine without it, even with the Skana (which is a really freaking slow weapon). In fact, if you want, I'll twitch me going through Lares (I think that's the name of the Mercury Infested) Mission with a Skana with no Fury attached to it.

And Slide Attacks are effective even with the Cronus, and Orthos. I've one-shot Grineer on E-Prime with a R4 Pressure Point with a Slide Attack from my Cronus (I didn't have quite enough Mastery to reach MR2 yet).

Orthos? lol. Did you miss the part where I said I can do 1500+ to Infested with Slide Attacks?

And lastly... R4 Pressure Point vs Grineer/Corpus... it won't one-shot anything, but Cronus will stagger as good as anything else if you find a unit by itself, take a good dash at it, slide attack to stagger him and then hack him with a couple more strikes and he falls down, even on Earth. Corpus are laughably weak, as are their moas. My Cronus was killing Shockwave Moas on Venus before they could stomp without a slide attack.

And last but certainly not least, Fury is not hard to obtain either; I got one either on Mercury or Early Venus. It might even be a reward from Raid/Capture, I don't recall.

That said, Rank 4 Fury + Rank 2 Pressure Point only requires a Rank14 weapon which is easy as pie to get in that Infested level on Mercury (and move up to Venus when you get to it). A couple more and you can have Rank 4 on both (Rank5 is wholly unnecessary, but you could get those too if you wanted). The first run alone, my Skana went from 1.5 to 4 in the first run of that Mercury Infested mission. Rank4 is enough to slot a R0 Fury and go from there -- unranked Skana can one-shot most stuff in that mission thanks to the x3 damage multiplier. And Ancients, only Healers come out; shoot those or use Slash Dash for a one-shot.

Edited by Xylia