Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Pretty Big Idea That I Might Write Up.

Stormquake

Ok, so, I've been formulating this big idea in my head, and I pretty much want to know if any of you guys would be interested in me writing up a full thing about it and posting it here.

My biggest problem with Warframe at the moment is that a lot of the Frames feel the same to me, but have such vivid and contrasting looks and themes. Now, of course, there is still variation. Obviously, there is not much similar about Saryn's and Trinity's third powers, or Ember and Rhino's first, but I feel as if, when putting every single Warframe together, their skills lack... well... mechanics. Now of course, there are a couple Warframes that shine out in this field, such as Loki, Saryn, and Nyx, but I feel like the differentiation between skills could be even greater. Some of my ideas were revolved around toggle skills or skills that could be charged up. More skills that effect combat efficiency rather than just being "click-n-kill" skills. Another one of my problems with Warframe right now is that many ultimate skills dwarf out the other skills of the Frame, whether they be cool or not. The 25-??-??-100 energy scheme that's present on every Warframe begins to get stale, especially when just about every 25 is quick and easy damage and every 100 is "kill everything forever" and the two aren't mitigated by cooldowns of any sort, which wouldn't be a problem if energy weren't so easy to come by.

My plan was to make a list of changes that would add more variety and depth to the skill sets of Warframes, driving them away from all having the same energy model and pushing them all toward a more finished theme that would represent their character even more.

If this seems like a good idea to write up, I'll get right to it, and I promise that it shall be incredibly detailed and thorough.

Eagerly awaiting your feedback,

Sincerely,

Stormquake

Edited by Stormquake

Do you mind listing some more detailed examples of what you might want to see changed??

Well some of the concepts I've sketched up are mainly just changes to the ults so far.

Saryn's I was planning on changing to a toggle that releases a toxic gasses from her skin in a certain AoE range. The gas stays for a certain amount of time, consumes energy per second to use and trails behind her when she moves. It struck me as more of a miasma.

Excalibur was going to have an ultimate move that would make his 3 other skills cost more energy, but gain additional effects, as well as putting an energy cost on melee attacks to make him release energy beams from his weapons. I felt it fit him more as a warrior/swordsman archetype.

I also wanted to incorporate things such as charging Mag's pull. It could be just tapped to pull one target for a very low energy cost, giving it back the handiness of saving a teammate in need, or could be charged up, gaining more power and potential targets as time and energy was consumed, turning it into a giant cone AoE shred, a bit more powerful than it is now to compensate for the charge.

Consume energy on melee attacks? Have you gone mad?

(I'm just going by what you said, you weren't very precise) That is a terrible idea.

Is this an ability? Excalibur doesn't shoot beams. and shouldnt shoot beams

it'd be a toggle... :V

I'm thinking in the bounds of 2-5 energy per attack depending on weapon... and I'm kind of talking about... you know reach? And then little motion wave/beams that follow a weapon around when you swing? Imagine an incredibly extended reach and those giant wave/beams following it, like you were making huge slices through the air.

I like the idea of diversifying each frame into it's own archetype, rather than have all of them be AoE caster 4towins. Vauban, Loki, Ash, Frost(globe to win), and Nekros have this diversity. Nova can stay a glass cannon, but all the other frames need a little rethink, based not only on DE's original vision, but the ways people have found to make them unique (of course I'm talking about Ember. Sadly I never played her, but I only comment on the fact that DE ripped away players' playstyles and said 'here, play with this instead' with her. No bueno.)

But no energy waves from excal.

I like the idea of diversifying each frame into it's own archetype, rather than have all of them be AoE caster 4towins. Vauban, Loki, Ash, Frost(globe to win), and Nekros have this diversity. Nova can stay a glass cannon, but all the other frames need a little rethink, based not only on DE's original vision, but the ways people have found to make them unique (of course I'm talking about Ember. Sadly I never played her, but I only comment on the fact that DE ripped away players' playstyles and said 'here, play with this instead' with her. No bueno.)

But no energy waves from excal.

They're not from excal, they're for his weapons.

It's not like he's physically shooting laser beams from himself, it's just projected blades from his weapons.

Anywho, for Ember... I feel as if I can't be chaotic enough when I play here. her abilities feel kind of slow to activate. i think fireball should be able to be way faster and cheaper, like a torrent of fire flying from Ember's hand, but on the flip side, she could charge it into this piercing fire blast that would maybe have some explosion at the end. World on Fire could perhaps be fed to continue to do AoE damage around her depending on how many skills she's casted during the duration. Something like that... Fire is chaotic, it stops for no-one. Maybe every single one of her abilities could feed her ult in a different way. Fireball would extend the duration as previously said by feeding more into the storm. Overheat could make the AoE slightly larger. Don't know what Fire Blast would do, but it could do something for sure... I'll actually expand more upon this idea, I really like the concept of Ember manipulating fire to her will even more and being some kind of crazy damage over time destruction beast, much like a real raging fire would be.

A Toggle ult is cool, but I'm not sure that Excal one sounds like the way I'd like to see it done.

If you wanted to do a toggle ult with Excal you ought to stick to his 'guns' so to speak and do something like 

"When activated Excal will summon X number of whirling blades around him in a sort of whirling, slashing shield, suffering a movement speed penalty to go with it. These blades will reflect large projectiles (like rockets) or strike an enemy in range. Each blade will disappear after X number of strikes/blocks. On top of this, Excal will be able to hit the block button to send one of these blades racing through to air at a selected target.

At any time Excal can deactivate the skill be activating it again, which will spend what is left of the blades by sending them all flying forth the way his current radial javelin does now."

After all, he is the Blade warframe.

A Toggle ult is cool, but I'm not sure that Excal one sounds like the way I'd like to see it done.

If you wanted to do a toggle ult with Excal you ought to stick to his 'guns' so to speak and do something like 

"When activated Excal will summon X number of whirling blades around him in a sort of whirling, slashing shield, suffering a movement speed penalty to go with it. These blades will reflect large projectiles (like rockets) or strike an enemy in range. Each blade will disappear after X number of strikes/blocks. On top of this, Excal will be able to hit the block button to send one of these blades racing through to air at a selected target.

At any time Excal can deactivate the skill be activating it again, which will spend what is left of the blades by sending them all flying forth the way his current radial javelin does now."

After all, he is the Blade warframe.

That's a very good idea as well! I kinda see him as a weapon master as well as a blade warframe, which is why i feel he should have some way to enhance his melee... maybe I could make his melee weapon have an additional effect on his other abilities, particularly blade slash.

I want an Ulti that when activated lets you melee any target within  LoS with a massive damage boost. 

Maybe give it to Ash as a replacement of Bladestorm (same effect etc) but with unlimited targets for the duration and the advantage of mobility.

It'd also let him deal massive damage to a single target by repeatedly meleeing them.

Actually I really want this. MAKE IT HAPPEN DE PLS

I want an Ulti that when activated lets you melee any target within  LoS with a massive damage boost. 

Maybe give it to Ash as a replacement of Bladestorm (same effect etc) but with unlimited targets for the duration and the advantage of mobility.

It'd also let him deal massive damage to a single target by repeatedly meleeing them.

Actually I really want this. MAKE IT HAPPEN DE PLS

Perhaps Ash's teleport and bladestorm could be merged together, giving Ash a certain amount of time where melee attacks will teleport him to the target (if in a certain range) and cause him to do the special animation + damage. That way he could choose the targets he goes to and would be more rewarding for a player with better reflexes as they quickly found and jumped to new targets... you know, like a pure ninja frame should be.

Edited by Stormquake