Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Thoughts On U10 And The Stamina Nerf.

Justin_Case001

So, I just downloaded the update, played for a couple of hours, and now I'd like to take a moment to share my thoughts.  Now, I haven't done much with the new content yet.  Haven't played in the conclave, haven't done a new orokin derelict mission.  This is just first impressions on gameplay.

First off, I know that the forums are just overflowing with this stuff, and I did post in other threads first.  But this is so important, it's worth another thread.  Apologies if I'm spamming, but DE really needs to pay attention to this.

Overall, I am very impressed with U10.  I love the idea of the conclaves.  I really love the idea of building the new keys for the derelict missions.  This is going to provide a lot more gameplay with renewed purpose.  I guess it might be a real drag if you want to farm the new frame parts, which I guess drop from this new golem boss?  The solution there should be to make the drop rates really good.  None of this one component has a 1/30 chance stuff.  But I must say, I'm really excited about these new keys.

UI changes are good.  No complaints.  New gear is ok, not great.  I like the idea of finally using all of the useless spores and salvage, but 5100 credits for 5 ciphers?  Ugh...used to be 250 for 4.  And the new system just takes so long.  Buy the bp, then build in the foundry, wait a full minute before you can do another.  It's very annoying.  I say either make the gear BP's reusable, or give more gear per bp.  Like at least 20 ciphers per bp.  But at least the gear system isn't game breaking.

Damage rework--can't say I really noticed anything.  Which is great, in my opinion.  Feels pretty much the same, so I'm happy about that.  I think when the enemies get over lvl 100, they might be a little tougher?  And that's fine.  Challenge is good.  The first thing I did after downloading the update was to play that catalyst alert.  Enemies were lvl 101.  First thing that happened, stalker shows up.  The first enemy I fought in U10 was a lvl 116 stalker.  Talk about jumping feet first into hell.  I gotta say, that was fun.  Pulse pounding, challenging, reflex testing.  Like a real god of war battle.  I love it.  I did manage to beat him, too.  But regular missions feel pretty much the same.  Excellent.

Performance--I noticed much smoother gameplay.  Felt great.  Bravo, DE.

Reliability--I think this is the first time there's been a big update where I didn't immediately notice some game breaking problem.  I know this isn't going to be the case for everyone, but all I'm saying is that I logged in, played some missions both solo and online, and nothing blew up.  Bravo, DE.

Overall, I think DE is still doing a bang up job, and I'm always impressed by, and grateful for, their efforts to provide us with awesome gameplay for free.

There's only one problem.  Yup, here's what you all came here to see.  The stamina nerf.  It sucks.  It's horrible.  I know all the reasons why they did it.  Build diversity, making the game more strategic and not all about rushing.  I know.  All that stuff, all that stuff.  But the fact is that the game used to be fun and now it's annoying and miserable.  I loved the fast, fluid, ninja like feel.  And now, the whole game is just walking.  Walking, and waiting.  Waiting and walking.  In the first mission I did, I tried to wallrun dozens of times without success.  I though the wallrun was just broken, until I noticed I was out of stamina the whole time.  So much of the fun of this game is in the fast maneuvers, and fluidy flying around from one platform to the next.  Now you just have to walk and play the waiting game.  And please don't give me the "use stamina mods or don't complain" routine.  I've heard it before.  The stamina mods don't do that much, and  it's just not fun to have to choose between being moderately mobile, or having survivability and killing power.  I know the idea is to add more strategy.  That's why they didn't simply buff enemy damage.  But this is suppose to be a fast paced game that's a joy to control.  It's not suppose to feel like Halo.  I know they want to promote build diversity, but this just sucks.  I'm sorry, but it really sucks.  In the words of the Angry Video Game Nerd, "It's so bad it sucks.  It's so f****g suck it f****s!"

DE, I implore you:  If you have any sense, please put it back the way it was.  Don't try to compromise by adding more stamina mods or buffing the existing stamina mods.  We want this to be a fast moving game.  For the love of the Lotus, for the love of all that's good in this world, PLEASE just put it back the way it was.  PLEASE.

And if you don't...then Hell's fire, Mother Night, and may the Darkness be merciful...

You have quite well summed the majority opinion on the stamina change. 
Maybe this system is better for the game, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't give it a chance yet. But first they'll need to tweak the numbers so one can't be out of stamina this fast. 
With the right values it might actually improve the game, I mean, Ninjas can't run forever just be sliding every few meters. But as it stands there are regular human athletes who are outlasting frames in a sprint. 

Thought of a couple of things I'd like to add.  I know some of this has been said before, but it demands reiterating

DE stated that they wanted stamina to be more useful, to be a more active component in gameplay, right?  Why not accomplish this by adding a useful maneuver that consumes a large chunk of stamina?  The best idea I've heard is to make the currently useless dodge roll into something usefull, and make it use a large % of stamina.  A change like this would result in players keeping more of an eye on their stamina bar so they can use the dodge when they need/want to.  This would make stamina more useful without hobbling players and making the game a pain to play.  Making stamina annoying does not make it useful.  It just makes it annoying.  DE did not accomplish their goal with this game crippling nerf.

Also, I just want to take a quick moment to say that I'm a very patient person, and I usually have a lot of faith in DE.  I generally don't like to complain, especially when the update only just went live.  This is the only time I've felt angry and compelled to complain because this nerf just ruins the game.  If they nerf my favorite weapon, or they add a new animation set I'm not crazy about, that's one thing.  But this destroys the whole feel, the whole basic selling point of the game.  The core gameplay that has attracted so many fans and made the game popular since the beginning should not be messed with.  Improvements are great, but don't take away one of the primary reasons we love to play.  Change it back.  Please.