Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwaves are shafting new players

birdobash

Now as I am not a newer player myself I cannot confirm this 100%, but the design and mechanics of nightwave seem to be very biased against newer players, and further widens the gap between what would be considered veteran or experienced, and new players.

For one, many of the elite weekly nightwave missions give much more rep than the other missions, but are locked behind missions that a newer player literally CANNOT access or will have extreme trouble accessing. For this first week those have been play sorties with friend and hunt the hydrolyst, now sorties are MR locked for anything below MR 4, and they require the war within to be completed which is quite far off for a newer player (about 70-120 hours in give or take, that's like 3-4 months for casuals), so here it's already pretty much impossible for them, and although the hydrolyst is technically unlocked much sooner, there aren't a lot of people willing to taxi and carry all the way to hydrolyst with 1-3 people who don't even know what the lanka or rubico prime is.

A second design choice I find odd is the existence of "power" at the end of the nightwave tiers. Let me explain, veterans or experienced players will have a much easier time getting those 30 tiers than a new player, and a new player might never be able to get to the top tiers before the season expires, but what this means is the placement of an umbral forma in the 29th tier means that piece of "power" is now technically exclusive to people who already have a good degree of power, but isn't available to the ones that need it most, the newbies. Usually in games the top tiers of a "battle pass"-esque system are purely cosmetic for balancing and moral progression reasons, but the existence of that huge piece of gear power at the second highest tier of the nightwave seems to kinda spit in the face of that.

Edited by birdobash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, birdobash said:

but what this means is the placement of an umbral forma in the 29th tier means that piece of "power" is now technically exclusive to people who already have a good degree of power, but isn't available to the ones that need it most, the newbies.

This doesn't make sense, though. If new players cannot access the sorties, giving them access to Umbral Forma will do absolutely nothing for them anyway. To use the Umbral Forma, players must have Excalibur Umbra, which means that they: cleared the whole star map to Mot, cleared Chains of Harrow, cleared Apostasy Prologue and cleared The Sacrifice. For a player to even have the Umbral mods, they are already well past the point of clearing sorties and at least contributing to a Hydrolyst cap team.

What of the positives? The new system provides weapon and Warframe slots, which used to be plat only, and are disproportionately useful to newer players. And once they hit the first Wolf Cred, they can get 15 Nitain, like, immediately. As a more experienced player, I am somewhat jealous of this.

As an aside, newer players do not "need" Umbral Forma. I'm pretty confident they can clear the star chart and get well into the end game without it. Veteran players also do not need Umbral Forma. No one needs Umbral Forma and I'm pretty sad they made it a thing, but that is a whole other discussion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Nah. You only need to complete 60% of all the challenges to get all the reward tiers. Obviously veteran players are going to have an easier time ranking up than new players, but that's the same for any progression system in any video game. 

What I'm also curious about is how long the season is gonna be