The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Performance issues

CoalitionOfGears

Wasn't sure if I should post this here since I don't think bugs as such are the problem here, but I couldn't find any subsection of the forum that would feel more appropriate.

A friend of mine can't really run the game anymore. It used to be decent-ish until last week's Wolf Six update, and then... it turned amazing. The fps got perfectly stable and actually higher, no fps drops occured anymore, no lag, the game ran as if she had some top shelf hardware, which she does not.

Then the next day, I believe it was, a hotfix came that made the game next to unplayable at all for her. I looked up what it was and the patchnotes read that for the short time in-between the updates, the game engine was forcing DirectX10 usage. So I opened the launcher, checked the settings, and force-changed the game to run on DirectX10 again, instead of 11. It seemed to work for a day or two, but then it stopped and the game's back to nearly unplayable. Well, worse actually.

The problems include: extremely long loading times (up to 4 minutes), very low fps in general and extreme fps drops and connection issues (though it feels like the game's client just reads those lagspikes as ping issues and proceeds with time-out on the matchmaker). And the game freezes whenever Lotus speaks, so maybe the problem lies with some display effect.

What I've tried: Win7 compatibility modes, running as admin, forcing DirectX10. No new software has been installed on the friend's laptop in over a month, no malware is present. The game has always been run on the lowest details available, with bloom and screenshakes and all that stuff turned off.

Specs:

i3-3217U CPU @ 1.8 GHz (x64), 4 GB RAM, Win8 64 bit, Intel HD graphics 4000.

I mean, yeah, it probably is a small miracle she could run the game at all in the first place and we'd semi-expected her to part ways with Warframe with the announced increased minimum requirements, but like I said, her experience got actually better instead... only to become absolutely unbearable two days later. So I'm a bit dumbfounded...

So, uh, I can see similar topics getting replies and I'd rather not mess with specific DX versions alone, since it isn't my computer... Could someone please walk me through it? Which version to upgrade/downgrade to, etc.?

The last mainline update seems to only have made things worse.

On 2019-03-06 at 3:19 PM, CoalitionOfGears said:

i3-3217U CPU @ 1.8 GHz (x64), 4 GB RAM, Win8 64 bit, Intel HD graphics 4000.

Slow loading everywhere in DX10? If yes, intel graphics is the problem. Happens to my i7-2600, 16 GB RAM, HD graphics 2000, Sandy bridge second generation. Unsure if third generation ivy bridge are any better.

Slow loading limited to Orb Vallis, Cetus, and Plains of eidolon? Task manager performance maxed out at 90% or more disk usage with game freezing while in this mission? If both is yes, this is not enough RAM. Integrated graphics share system RAM, so more RAM is needed. 6 GB or more RAM should be mostly fine, preferably 8 GB (4 + 4) for a faster dual channel RAM.

Thanks for reply. Was hoping I could fix the problem by messing around with some software, though. Considering the game ran smoothly AFTER the Wolf Six update and BEFORE the hotfix, shouldn't it be possible that this laptop is in fact capable of running the game decently?

^No, there've been no installs or updates on that laptop in more than a month, and it runs on Win8 anyway...

Don't know why, but it's 100% related to Nora and her fugitives among other things. The friend gets kicked out no matter what whenever Nora speaks. Which is doubly frustrating, since Nora never has anything interesting to say...

Needless to say, neither of us can do the 1h survival with friends challenge because of it - which was why I posted in the first place tbh, instead of patiently waiting for it to be fixed. In the end we wasted around 4 or 5h trying to do this together through-out this week, failed each time, and we're both tired of trying. She always gets an insufferable lag at 35-45 minutes into the game and we both always get host migration in the process. Always.

Plus, if you finish the survival solo, neither of the Wolf Six missions are complete either way. But that's another story...