The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Another potato user post: Screen freeze DirectX10

allemandi96

Hi folks,

Before anyone asks, I have a Toshiba Satellite C850-175.

Yes, it has integrated graphics (Intel), and, yes, the processor is old (Pentium B950 2.10 GHz).

But prior to Nightwave, it ran fine (30-45fps min graphics settings, DirectX9, 32bit mode). Playable, you know? Not anything comparable to a Ryuzen 7 series, but workable. Loaded fine, too.

After Nightwave, the min specs updated, and DirectX9 phased out. Screen would freeze on all loading sections for a minute or two before loading in as always. Gameplay, no problem, 25-35fps.

The problem was that since it takes 1-2 minutes to load in, the host is naturally disconnected after so long. This never happened with DirectX9. Unplayable in squads now. Multiplayer gone.

Now, I am not too sure if linking to Steam forums is allowed, so I won't. But there is a relatively recent thread about this exact problem made by some other folks.

Their solution was to force WARP into DirectX10_1 instead of DirectX10_0. 

Honestly? I did it and the load time is eliminated. 6 seconds normal white bar progression instead of a two minute screen freeze. Fps was horrid, though.

I did some more testing, and managed to force WARP DirectX9_1, 9_2, 9_3, and 11_0. No screen freezes. And the DirectX9 series works amazingly well, just like old times. 30-45 fps, no loading freeze.

So, guys, what's the problem here? I am well aware that I'm jumping through too many hoops to play WF, so I'm asking for help.

If the answer is "Your machine is too old," then just give it to me straight. I'm broke, so I guess I'll have to give the game up if that's the case.

5 minutes ago, allemandi96 said:

If the answer is "Your machine is too old," then just give it to me straight. I'm broke, so I guess I'll have to give the game up if that's the case.

Your machine is too old. Warframe no longer supports 32 bit OS or DX9.

Spoiler

The minimum specs for Warframe are:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz dual core CPU)
  • Memory: 4 GB System RAM
  • Graphics: DirectX 10+ compatible video card
  • Hard Drive: 35 GB free HD space

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200182230-What-are-the-minimum-specs-for-Warframe-

7 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Your machine is too old. Warframe no longer supports 32 bit OS or DX9.

Hide contents

The minimum specs for Warframe are:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz dual core CPU)
  • Memory: 4 GB System RAM
  • Graphics: DirectX 10+ compatible video card
  • Hard Drive: 35 GB free HD space

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200182230-What-are-the-minimum-specs-for-Warframe-

I might have not made myself clear.

I was running in 32bit mode. That is, with the 64bit option unchecked previously.

I have a 64bit Win7 os.

And the 32/64bit is likely not the problem.

I can run the game fine as solo without messing with the settings, DirectX10 and 64bit, natively.

My issue is the loading freeze that happens on DirectX10_0 (64bit). I am running fine on 9_1(64bit), 9_2(64bit), 9_3(64bit). I have fps drops, but no screen freeze on 10_1(64bit),11_0(64bit).

So I really don't think that is the issue.

11 minutes ago, allemandi96 said:

My issue is the loading freeze that happens on DirectX10_0 (64bit).

Have you tried DX10.1?

DX9 is no longer supported, so reverting to that may stop working at some point.

Technically, your CPU is below the minimum required. And while 4 GB of RAM is the minimum, that is a little on the low side. You have not mentioned how much you have, so I cannot comment. But you may notice issues with low RAM.

Can I suggest you try running it and see where your usage stats in TM are?

I did try DirectX10_1. As I said before, there is no screen freeze, but the fps slows to a crawl (we're talking 2-5fps), so that's unplayable.

I have 8GB of RAM. The laptop originally came with 4GB, but I naturally installed another stick of RAM later on. 

I tried 10_1 again, but there are no changes.

I understand that the processor is on the low side, but I also genuinely think that the loading screens are not optimized properly.

3 hours ago, allemandi96 said:

Pentium B950 2.10 GHz

The problem is the old, intel Sandy Bridge, second generation graphics. Using DX10 having extremely slow loading. Might be caused by the complete lack of GPU shader cache in software drivers. Happens to others, including my i7-2600 intel HD graphics 2000.

There is a bug that attempting to use DX11 in an old Sandy bridge graphics, drops to DX9 without the slow loading problem.

On 2019-03-08 at 3:27 PM, sam686 said:

The problem is the old, intel Sandy Bridge, second generation graphics. Using DX10 having extremely slow loading. Might be caused by the complete lack of GPU shader cache in software drivers. Happens to others, including my i7-2600 intel HD graphics 2000.

There is a bug that attempting to use DX11 in an old Sandy bridge graphics, drops to DX9 without the slow loading problem.

This explanation is more sensible, thank you.

I can also confim that after the new melee update, the force WARP DirectX9 method no longer works. Perhaps they have already fixed the bug with DirectX11.

My software drivers are up to date, but the long loading times persist. I guess the game just isn't for my rig, at least in terms of multiplayer.