Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Melee (Channeling Feedback)

Sceleratii

I just hopped into Warframe for the first time since the release of the recent update with the new melee changes, and I gotta say I'm having a love-hate relationship with it.

The new effects are great and the new flow is also fairly enjoyable, but as someone who used melee and channeling a lot (almost exclusively because it's satisfying to me) the new melee system just doesn't feel very good. Melee was fairly satisfying the way it was previously and I don't feel like it needed a change but acknowledge that not everyone shares that same opinion. However, with this new change channelling feels incredibly gross to use.

The fast switching when meleeing is really nice and feels very smooth, but I don't like that aiming just goes to my gun now instead of blocking, and channeling is just nasty to use now as a toggle, especially when changing back to your gun turns it off. It just doesn't feel very good. A nice solution that wouldn't have been as drastic of a change would have been to have the new effects and fast switching, but still allow the player to hold down the weapon switch key to enter the old style melee only mode, or at the very least allow us to rebind the aim key to act as a channeling key (held not toggle) when our melee is out. I don't like the idea of just turning on channeling or turning it off as it's something that needs to be used with very fine control: you don't necessarily want to channel when you hit every enemy, you may only want to channel for large or specific enemies instead of wasting the energy on small ones, or you might only need to do it when you need to use lifestrike... or if you're someone who enjoys the synoid heliocor, that weapon is a lot less useable now.

I know that a lot of people are of the mindset "why are you even using channeling" and I think that just shows DE really needs to take a look specifically at channeling and how it works. With this new update I feel like channeling has significantly degraded in value and usability.

tldr: new channeling is less usable, feels bad, and doesn't flow in combat at all.

Edited by Sceleratii

As someone who always used the toggle channel option I've had no problems with the current channeling but to each their own. 

As the user above me stated channeling is also going to be reworked likely in the next stage of the melee rework. 

9 hours ago, Sceleratii said:

I just hopped into Warframe for the first time since the release of the recent update with the new melee changes, and I gotta say I'm having a love-hate relationship with it.

The new effects are great and the new flow is also fairly enjoyable, but as someone who used melee and channeling a lot (almost exclusively because it's satisfying to me) the new melee system just doesn't feel very good. Melee was fairly satisfying the way it was previously and I don't feel like it needed a change but acknowledge that not everyone shares that same opinion. However, with this new change channelling feels incredibly gross to use.

The fast switching when meleeing is really nice and feels very smooth, but I don't like that aiming just goes to my gun now instead of blocking, and channeling is just nasty to use now as a toggle, especially when changing back to your gun turns it off. It just doesn't feel very good. A nice solution that wouldn't have been as drastic of a change would have been to have the new effects and fast switching, but still allow the player to hold down the weapon switch key to enter the old style melee only mode, or at the very least allow us to rebind the aim key to act as a channeling key (held not toggle) when our melee is out. I don't like the idea of just turning on channeling or turning it off as it's something that needs to be used with very fine control: you don't necessarily want to channel when you hit every enemy, you may only want to channel for large or specific enemies instead of wasting the energy on small ones, or you might only need to do it when you need to use lifestrike... or if you're someone who enjoys the synoid heliocor, that weapon is a lot less useable now.

I know that a lot of people are of the mindset "why are you even using channeling" and I think that just shows DE really needs to take a look specifically at channeling and how it works. With this new update I feel like channeling has significantly degraded in value and usability.

tldr: new channeling is less usable, feels bad, and doesn't flow in combat at all.

I share the same sentiments as you and a lot more tenno does as well. Many new threads like this one are being made but you can hear and give feedback here: