Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How I would change Ember's World on Fire

Zahnny

My main problems with Ember's World on Fire for the longest time has been the following things. I'm of the opinion that Ember ruins fun in low level, but I strongly agree she needs to scale beyond that low level.

1. Is too much of a Toggle-Passive ability with limited player input. I've always hated Warframes whose abilities feel more like passives than active abilities. Octavia is my least favourite Warframe in this regard

2. Like putting out a candle, Ember snuffs out the fun in lower missions by essentially being a Kill Aura on legs. Same as above, my issue with nuke frames is less that I hate nukeframes in general and more that I hate nukeframes that are lazy. I may get some remarks for saying this, but Mesa is a nukeframe done right in my opinion. Once over I hated Ash more than Ember, though Ash had to become immobile for his though I feel Ash has now become uninteresting. Equinox and Frost are also nukeframes that need looking at.

3. Her scaling is terrible. Even with the Firequake augment to provide CC, Ember's damage and health is too low to be viable beyond the Star Chart, which ends up forcing her into ruining the fun of lower level missions as it's the only place for her.

4. I just genuinely don't see her as fun, I understand the aspects of Warframes as tools, even so I've only ever used Ember in low level solo exterminates.

For this rework I'm going to focus solely on World on Fire, ignoring all her other abilities. If you have any ideas to synergize her other abilities with this, feel free.

World on Fire needs a drastic change. I'm taking inspiration from the Exploiter Orb for this.

1. World on Fire takes a primary role of CC, Damage is secondary but still highly important
  2. World on Fire will still consist of an Aura. Instead of pure damage, this aura will instead coat enemies in a highly flammable tar or napalm.
  3. If left alone, this Tar will deal no damage but will cause enemies to flail in an apparent attempt to take this stuff off.
  4. This Tar is highly viscious, as a result it will slow enemies by a small percentage, say 10%-25% for example.
  5. Ember will recieve a Heat meter similar to the Exploiter Orb fight as a passive or side-passive.
  6. Currently Ember's World on Fire spawns collumns of fire as you walk/run around, I believe we should utilize this as a feature rather than a cosmetic.
  7. Running into a column of fire will increase your heat meter (which can perhaps scale indefinitely).
  8. Overtime your heat meter will slowly decrease, the higher the meter, the faster it may decrease.
  9. At the same time, when stepping into these pillars of fire, it will release a pulse of fire and pulse again off of enemies, damaging any enemy coated in World on Fire Tar.
  10. This damage is scaled/based on the heat meter, enemies will only take damage from the ability pulse, they will not suffer afterburn damage after a pulse. Perhaps multiple pulses going off in one spot will chain and multiply the damage.
  11. The higher the heat meter, the more frequently and reliably these fire pillars will spawn and vice versa.
  12. The role of an Ember (or allies) will be running between all these pillars to maintain a heat meter and constantly dish out damage whenever you touch one.

I'm hoping this all makes sense, and sounds as fun as I had hoped. Please give me your opinions on this.

Nah low levels are low levels for a reason, and to be good in low levels doesn't necessarily mean it's good in high levels but to be good in high levels means you're always gonna be good in low levels.

That said your rework sounds more like an accelerant rework.

I don't really think her 4 needs to be redesigned.  Really the idea that her pillars get stronger as they burn longer is nice.  And the extra drain/shorter range is really okay.  The problem is that she's boasted as a direct damage frame.  That doesn't really do a whole lot of direct damage unless you play her as a buffer for your weapons.  (which doesn't really fit the power fantasy.)  She can do "okay" crowd control.  But it's not super consistent.

If they gave her more consistent/controllable CC to pad her kit out at higher levels they could play with some sort of damage scaling mechanic.  I think this would work best with either a meter based on casting "aka over heat style" ala the caster in vermentide.  Or enemies she kills with fire/damaged with fire and she finished off.  Her 1 could still use some tweaks.  And the fire ring really needs to go.  So blast would need some changing around.  But really just better and consistent cc and ramping damage for her full kit and she'd be more than good enough.