Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Abilities Do Not 'scale'

Talamare

It seems that Warframe abilities were designed using a lot of flat values that never scale, they also do not have any stats that seem to scale...

Roughly what this means is that Warframe abilities that are pure damage either need to have very high numbers which makes them inherently OP at lower ranks and progressively worse as you get higher. Yes you have an upgrade system, but if the upgrade system is merely increasing a flat value by a small amount, it doesn't actually change anything.

If you want Warframe abilities to be useful and balanced at all stages of the game, you seriously need to consider completely reworking the system to remove these flat values and introduce power scaling.

Its basic RPG mechanics really

They have the worst damage system I have seen in any game. The UI is something that came out of 1990. I understand these are devs that came from "the old school" but so much in this game is way outdated. Use technology  and advancement to your benefit. I understand they never intended on people putting so much time into this game but it's 2013 not 1995 so get with the program DE. 

They have the worst damage system I have seen in any game. The UI is something that came out of 1990. I understand these are devs that came from "the old school" but so much in this game is way outdated. Use technology  and advancement to your benefit. I understand they never intended on people putting so much time into this game but it's 2013 not 1995 so get with the program DE.

you just hurt a lot of DEdefenders feelings lol

I love the game and the devs, but I'm forced to admit you're completely right.

The damage system is a mess. There are DOZENS of different damage types, and some are completely redundant mechanically. Some are made only for specific interactions (such as forcefield, which ignores armor without multipliers - something poison or physics impact, for example, already did - but it adds a ragdoll effect to it)

The armor scaling being exponential is also a HORRIBLE decision, especially when you have content that drops enemies whose HP and armor values are so high, you NEED one of the armor-ignoring weapons, several debuffs multiplying your damage, and an invincible bullet-proof shield just so you STAND A CHANCE.

What worries me the most is the time it took for DE to acknowledge the issue and work towards a change. I remember, sometime ago, when their official position was "armor is working as intended" when it was crystal clear it was excessive.

When their design philosophy wanted every weapon and frame to be equally useful, yet the game numbers clearly told a different story.

I am anxiously expecting the armor revamp, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they somehow failed to do it properly, as much as it pains me to say.

Sounds like a lot of detraction from the original post here. Pretty sure the original idea of this thread was warframe ability damage scaling, not armor scaling; absolutely nothing to do with weapon damage or armor.

And to that topic at hand, why should warframe abilities scale? The basic tenants of any RPG is leveling to increase damage output and survivability. Difference is, most RPGs either automatically scale enemies to your own personal levels (or plus a few to make it a challenge) or specifically tune locations you pass through with enemies based on a predictable outcome of the player's level. And the latter only works to a point since those like me will grind out extra levels to increase survivability later on.

In fact, even the weapons don't scale, they just provide the opportunity to add mods to increase flat damage and other values. It's why the end-game is finding the rarer mods necessary to max out your favorite weapon or frame. Otherwise, you're saying people should be running Pluto in unranked frames using unranked weapons (yes I'm aware some people try)? That anyone should head back to Mercury and be challenged by Captain Vor? Level scaling was never a part of this game. Armor scaling is the only thing people reference because in Endless Defense, enemies can reach levels far beyond any other predefined level in the game.