Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proto-Excalibur's own Exalted Blade or any other Skin?

iLightning13

So with Mesa's deluxe skin, we got a custom model for her regulators. I assume that the same thing will happen with Wukong's staff when his deluxe comes out. Garuda also seems to be getting a new skin for her "exalted-lite" talon weapons.

My question is, will we ever get a custom Exalted Blade model for Proto-Excal now that deluxe exalted weapons are a thing?

I'd personally really welcome this as I'm not a fan of either the Umbra or standard skins for exalted blade - I think that a "sword of pure light" (as said in the ability description) should actually be a blade of pure light, not just a rather generic looking sci-fi sword he pulls out of his arm, and Proto-Excal would be a very good way of giving players the option for this.

It's this, where even the intensity of the glow has been significantly reduced:

latest?cb=20180617114930

Versus a way more powerful and awesome looking ultimate ability:

ksoB0K.gif

Just compare the visual weight of Wisp's sun beam ability to Excal's current ultimate. The difference is night and day as to which one is more visually impressive.

Thoughts?

Edited by iLightning13
Added some pretty pictures
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iLightning13 said:

So with Mesa's deluxe skin, we got a custom model for her regulators. I assume that the same thing will happen with Wukong's staff when his deluxe comes out. Garuda also seems to be getting a new skin for her "exalted-lite" talon weapons.

Pretty sure the only reason Mesa's Regulators and Garuda's Talons look different is because they are visible at all times (i.e. are actually part of the skin) and are not only visible when active like Exalted Blade.  With that in mind, I tend to doubt Exalted Blade (or Wukong's staff, or any other exalted weapon that isn't attached to the 'Frame when inactive) will get any major visual changes.

7 minutes ago, xXRampantXx said:

Pretty sure the only reason Mesa's Regulators and Garuda's Talons look different is because they are visible at all times (i.e. are actually part of the skin) and are not only visible when active like Exalted Blade.  With that in mind, I tend to doubt Exalted Blade (or Wukong's staff, or any other exalted weapon that isn't attached to the 'Frame when inactive) will get any major visual changes.

I'd have to disagree with you. Wukong's deluxe concept came with a concept for a new staff. This may be a weapon skin, but considering how Wukong's exalted weapon is a staff, I believe this is a new model for his exalted weapon itself:

s1SjOo6.png

Also, if we look at other deluxe skins such as Atlas and Nidus, some of their abilities (Rumblers and Virulence) received visual changes despite them not being constantly visible, and Exalted Blade is considered an ability. This would also logically apply to all the older deluxe skins, as many do not have any tweaked abilities.

I don't think the fact it's not constantly there really applies when there's many exceptions to that rule.

Edited by iLightning13

11 minutes ago, iLightning13 said:

I'd have to disagree with you. Wukong's deluxe concept came with a concept for a new staff. This may be a weapon skin, but considering how Wukong's exalted weapon is a staff, I believe this is a new model for his exalted weapon itself:

s1SjOo6.png

I had forgotten about that concept, I stand corrected.

11 minutes ago, iLightning13 said:

Also, if we look at other deluxe skins such as Atlas and Nidus, some of their abilities (Rumblers and Virulence) received visual changes despite them not being constantly visible, and Exalted Blade is considered an ability. This would also logically apply to all the older deluxe skins, as many do not have any tweaked abilities.

I don't think the fact it's not constantly there really applies when there's many exceptions to that rule.

I don't really use Atlas, so I can't speak for him, but as someone who uses Nidus very heavily, I haven't noticed any difference between his skins, although I could be misremembering.

I do want to add that I don't necessarily dislike your idea, I just find it unlikely.  While you are right about occasional changes to powers with deluxe skins, they are usually applied to powers where the changes are immediately noticeable (like with Rumblers, which are kind of hard to miss), whereas pretty much the only time you're going to notice the shape of Exalted Blade is if you're specifically looking at it.  It just seems like too small a change for it to be worth the work.

Edited by xXRampantXx

18 minutes ago, xXRampantXx said:

I don't really use Atlas, so I can't speak for him, but as someone who uses Nidus very heavily, I haven't noticed any difference between his skins, although I could be misremembering.

It is quite a small change - they added a few metal arches to his 1 and 2 to make it more 'helminth-y' or at least that's how I think of his deluxe skin.

19 minutes ago, xXRampantXx said:

I do want to add that I don't necessarily dislike your idea, I just find it unlikely.  While you are right about occasional changes to powers with deluxe skins, they are usually applied to powers where the changes are immediately noticeable (like with Rumblers, which are kind of hard to miss), whereas pretty much the only time you're going to notice the shape of Exalted Blade is if you're specifically looking at it.  It just seems like too small a change for it to be worth the work.

Yeah I think from the general consensus from all the other comments, people think it's quite unlikely to happen. I tend to agree - the main point of this post was to express my opinion of the current exalted blade's appearance and try to suggest a way to let like-minded players change its appearance to something similar to how it used to look - the whole "sword of pure light" thing.

I'd actually go the other way and remove all the light entirely, Proto Excal's #4 ranged attacks should consist of him literally chucking swords at the enemy. From what little I've seen of Dark Sector, the protagonist there didn't have any kind of funky energy attacks.