Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bird Races in MMORPGs

AshenHaze

Why do MMO developers seem to shy away the most from bird and/or reptile races?

Don't they know that people like me have been dying for a proper bird-race and would be pretty loyal to the game if one was actually introduced?

I'm still mad that in Cataclysm (World of Warcraft) the Arakkoa were scrapped in favor of wolves with no tails that no one asked for. I will hold onto this rage until the day I die.

4 minutes ago, AshenHaze said:

Scared of birbs but has Zeph, which is the only MMO birb I know that is playable?

I should thank this Sheldon for breaking the mold instead.

Zephyr was a player made Warframe, I don't know how much say or interaction Sheldon had with it. 

Just now, MagPrime said:

Zephyr was a player made Warframe, I don't know how much say or interaction Sheldon had with it. 

The fact that it was allowed.

a bunch of people back when I was playing WoW have been begging for Arakkoa (bird people) and the devs just snort their noses at it. One of the reasons I quit all those years back honestly. 

1 minute ago, AshenHaze said:

The fact that it was allowed.

a bunch of people back when I was playing WoW have been begging for Arakkoa (bird people) and the devs just snort their noses at it. One of the reasons I quit all those years back honestly. 

If WoW had had birb pepples when I played, I'd still be playing. 

I think it comes down to game designs.

Bird people tend to fall into the "what kind of mechanics do they need". Most people when they think bird, think of flight. Flight ,to my knowledge, is not an easy thing to build in a system and if its only going to be used for a single hypothetical race it might just be easier to scrap the race then put in the time and effort into it.

Birds also don't seam as customizable as something like an elf or a dwarf. How do I show you this is a WoW bird VS a Skyrim Bird? When do appearances and designs overlap? Do you go with a generic bird human body like the Rito (LoZ) or something more akin to a Tengu? How do I keep my bird from looking like your bird in the same game? There may also be a smaller amount of Bird races in games because there is also a smaller marker for sex appeal. Does it mean it isn't there, no but it is far less open then say furies who would happily play a cat/dog/panda-person.

Above all though is how would this race fit into the world. Why would they be a playable race? You hear about unplayable races in almost every game but what is the drive to make the player want to be that. What is the reason to give the player that option. What can they get from this race that they can't from that one? And above all is the money invested in this race going to pay out and make a profit?

Give it time. Eventually MMO's will have more bird races as time moves on and people are more open about wanting to play bird-people.

Oh so an actual humanoid bird race, well tbh I'm not sure it would fit into the Warframe that well. Pretty much the only race here are humans with sort of sub species of humans.(Tenno aren't exactly regular humans and well Grineer are genetically degraded human clones). The only exception here are the Sentient which are an artificial race and Cephalons used to be humans.

And yeah MMO's tend to have them but as NPC's, I remember Star Wars The Old Republic having a bird race on the pirate planet.

But yeah as @(PS4)wintersfrozen said, it will happen at some point.

2 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

What is the reason to give the player that option.

To be a birdperson. Duh. Also Arakkoa lore. And if you are concerned about customization options plumage colors can honestly be as wild as the imagination. Unless you're something like a kenku, in that case it would be determined by beak features, scale tint, and what have you.

1 hour ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Oh so an actual humanoid bird race, well tbh I'm not sure it would fit into the Warframe that well.

Nono warframe has an analogue through Zephyr. I'm complaining why other MMO based games seem to avoid that racial character archetype of 'bird person'. A lot of them actually have such races that exist in the game but for one shallow reason or another are generally never added to playable rosters.

1 hour ago, AshenHaze said:

To be a birdperson. Duh. Also Arakkoa lore. And if you are concerned about customization options plumage colors can honestly be as wild as the imagination. Unless you're something like a kenku, in that case it would be determined by beak features, scale tint, and what have you.

Nono warframe has an analogue through Zephyr. I'm complaining why other MMO based games seem to avoid that racial character archetype of 'bird person'. A lot of them actually have such races that exist in the game but for one shallow reason or another are generally never added to playable rosters.

I think you may have missed the point I was attempting to make from a developer stand point. What benefit would the player have to be a bird other then they like birds? What would be the push to get people who would not normally have an interest in being a bird person to be a bird. 

Bird type races are still niche. You want wings they give you Angel's which sell a lot better so why birds over Angel's? How would you convince the average Joe to play one?

Just give it time. Eventually it will be come as normal as lizard people. 

Edited by (PS4)wintersfrozen

This is such a random post ... how does getting Bird People in WoW have anything to do with Warframe?

Also, if you want bird people to work there is always:

latest?cb=20140816190048

1 hour ago, Datam4ss said:

This is such a random post ... how does getting Bird People in WoW have anything to do with Warframe?

Also, if you want bird people to work there is always:

latest?cb=20140816190048

It's in Off Topic, doesn't have to be related to Warframe. 

15 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

It's in Off Topic, doesn't have to be related to Warframe. 

Yeah, but seemed a really weird gripe in any case.

26 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Yeah, but seemed a really weird gripe in any case.

You try being a WoW and Old Blizzard fan for years and watch them turn their world full of rich story and characters into an amusement ride of lost potential and Skinner Boxes and not being upset.