Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember the Battlemage

(PSN)LoneWolf_001

After a lengthy discussion and running a bunch of mediocre builds for Ember over a few years of gameplay and a "bad" rework...I'm running on but Ember needs some more FIRE!

A new mechanic could revitalize this classic Warframe. I'd start with an Overheat Meter (0%-100%) from which the rest of the concepts will be based off of. As you use abilities consecutively or take damage in general (to shields or health) the Overheat Meter fills up. Naturally, this increases her overall damage output with a Fire Element modifier. Easy enough of a concept. The second part is Enemy Armor Reduction caused by Ember's Fire which scales to the % indicated on the Overheat Meter, keeping it up ensures scalable damage output. Finally, to address her survivability, a sort of Reverse Adaptation should be applied to the Overheat Meter. At 0% she should have a heavy baseline damage reduction and as she scales to 100% she becomes a glass cannon. I think Flash Accelerant could be the primary means of forced cooling, stunning enemies while giving back some of that damage resistance. Also, offhand cast animations, allowing for reload while casting could allow for a more fluid feel to a battlemage concept.

World on Fire could also have some modified functionality. I'd like to see Ember with some Fire Hydra "pets" doing smaller but more mobile versions of the current WoF centered around the hydras.

Yes! Ember should be an unstoppable tornado of fire and lead! Make it so!

I would also point out that according to Brozime's, Ember right now is the worst warframe in the game tied to Nyx when it comes to power level.

Clearly the afk farming world-on-fire is something DE doesn't want to happen anymore... let's replace it with something better!

Edited by (PS4)BitmapFrogs
clarification

17 minutes ago, (PS4)BitmapFrogs said:

I would also point out that according to Brozime's, Ember right now is the worst warframe in the game tied to Nyx when it comes to power level.

Brozime also says that the Twin Rogga and Scourge are useless MR fodder weapons, so take with a grain of salt. Though, yes, he's probably right on Ember.

On-topic, this idea sounds great, and fits right in with her theming of fire. Fire is extremely aggressive, yet Embers abilities have never really inspired much in that sense. Most of her abilities are kind of passive. Having her be this raging ball of damage and power would be great and fitting for her. On the topic of 'one hand' abilities, maybe that could tie into the overheat? As she gets further into combat, she becomes faster and more powerful as she becomes more fragile. Also, given how prevalent fast kills are in Warframe, and considering how the strongest fires are the hardest to extinguish, maybe if she's past a certain level of overheat, she can save herself from death once by expending her whole gauge - kind of like Nidus, but a lot more punishing and with less HP restored when saved - 25% at most. Lots of incentive not to get to that level, but she does have a way to escape. Plus she does have a slight phoenix vibe going. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoneWolf_001 said:

Finally, to address her survivability, a sort of Reverse Adaptation should be applied to the Overheat Meter. At 0% she should have a heavy baseline damage reduction and as she scales to 100% she becomes a glass cannon.

I would keep the incentive towards filling the gauge, and I would limit it to just her abilities that fill it as opposed to taking damage also filling it. Avoiding damage should incentivize her survivability. To further increase her survivability and encourage players to fill the gauge even more to become a wanton raging inferno, and play with her phoenix theme, I'd make the guage her passive, taking away the current passive (since it sucks), and if you fill the gauge, when Ember takes fatal damage, she instead revives at 100% shields, 50% health, emits a Fire Blast wave, and has 2 seconds of invulnerability in order to get her bearings, and the gauge is rest to 0%. Then, you could call her passive "Phoenix Gauge." Her abilities could fill the Gauge with Fire Ball adding .7% if cast uncharged, 1% if cast fully charged. Accelerant could add no additional charge, but double the amount her abilities add to the Gauge. Fire Blast could add 1.5%. And World on Fire could add .1% for each time it damages an enemy (To prevent simply passively charging the gauge). This way, yeah, she becomes a glass cannon at 100% charge, but there's a safety switch fitting to her theme then. It's not as broken as Defy on Wukong, because you don't simply toggle it, you have to build up to it similar to Baruuk's damage reduction and Nidus' Undying. She still won't have the durability of Nidus, but she won't simply get ganked.

Edited by xZeromusx
  • Like 1

To be fair, if I can go into Elite Onslaught with my Mesa and absolutely clean up shop, only to be outdone by a Saryn who can also absolutely clean up shop using just her Spores, then I think a LOT of the other "weaker" warframes could definitely stand to have their damage output cranked up a few notches, especially old girl Ember. She used to be one of the baddest *@##$es of them all, and now she's just awful. She needs to go back to being a walking inferno of wrath and fury. I dig the "Overheat Gauge" concept, that sounds like it could be interesting. I think it definitely needs to be multiplicative so her damage can spike up with the best of them. This game needs less nerfs and more buffs all around, especially where late game is involved and especially if DE is serious about seeing more build variety and overall just more variety in what warframes are getting used. Even the CC frames are getting left in the dust these days since everybody knows the best CC is just overwhelming devastation. It isn't like the old days anymore with the tower key system where CC was actually necessary for certain game types and difficulties, especially when you can just cleave your way through absolutely any mob type with one of two of the top damaging warframes out there.

If I can walk through literally any mission at any difficulty with just my Mesa, then why not make Ember the powerhouse she once was?

Do it for the Mesa players!

We're getting bored...

Edited by (PS4)DEATHrocket777

Like seriously, I can mow down a level 100 Nox eximus in seconds, and as soon as the Juggernaught opens his mouth he's as good as dead. No, I'm not putting my build up, and no I'm not showing off my numbers, because I love my Mesa and I don't want her getting nerfed. Just saying, I'm OP AF and I just think the other frames should be able to compete besides just Saryn.

Just now, (PS4)DEATHrocket777 said:

Like seriously, I can mow down a level 100 Nox eximus in seconds, and as soon as the Juggernaught opens his mouth he's as good as dead. No, I'm not putting my build up, and no I'm not showing off my numbers, because I love my Mesa and I don't want her getting nerfed. Just saying, I'm OP AF and I just think the other frames should be able to compete besides just Saryn.

Don't be silly, I can outdo a squad of 2 Mesas and one Saryn with a Khora on Sortie. Nobody is gonna nerf Mesa further.

That being said Ember really either needs more utility, or more damage. Right now all she has is damage ... which is less than a lot of frames that offer utility too.

15 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Brozime also says that the Twin Rogga and Scourge are useless MR fodder weapons, so take with a grain of salt. Though, yes, he's probably right on Ember.

On-topic, this idea sounds great, and fits right in with her theming of fire. Fire is extremely aggressive, yet Embers abilities have never really inspired much in that sense. Most of her abilities are kind of passive. Having her be this raging ball of damage and power would be great and fitting for her. On the topic of 'one hand' abilities, maybe that could tie into the overheat? As she gets further into combat, she becomes faster and more powerful as she becomes more fragile. Also, given how prevalent fast kills are in Warframe, and considering how the strongest fires are the hardest to extinguish, maybe if she's past a certain level of overheat, she can save herself from death once by expending her whole gauge - kind of like Nidus, but a lot more punishing and with less HP restored when saved - 25% at most. Lots of incentive not to get to that level, but she does have a way to escape. Plus she does have a slight phoenix vibe going. 

I second the self-revive idea. I think the hotter she gets, the more health she should be able to restore. Hildryn can restore all her shields and go invincible after they drop, no reason a fire-based frame shouldn't have some kind of phoenix-like self-res.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Don't be silly, I can outdo a squad of 2 Mesas and one Saryn with a Khora on Sortie. Nobody is gonna nerf Mesa further.

That being said Ember really either needs more utility, or more damage. Right now all she has is damage ... which is less than a lot of frames that offer utility too.

Those Mesas probably have no idea what they're doing, most of the ones I meet can't keep up with mine at all. 😛 Also that's on sortie, more moving around a full map than sitting in one tile. If you're running through faster than the rest, then yeah, you're going to outkill them. From what I've seen with Khora builds anyway, there's nothing you can do running through spamming Whipclaw that someone can't do with a properly modded Arca Plasmor.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)DEATHrocket777 said:

Those Mesas probably have no idea what they're doing, most of the ones I meet can't keep up with mine at all. 😛 Also that's on sortie, more moving around a full map than sitting in one tile. If you're running through faster than the rest, then yeah, you're going to outkill them. From what I've seen with Khora builds anyway, there's nothing you can do running through spamming Whipclaw that someone can't do with a properly modded Arca Plasmor.

This is not an epeen thread anyway, but I didn't know Plasmors could shoot through walls.

The fact is that Ember still falls short to so many frames even though she offers less than them. This is what I need to establish.

7 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

This is not an epeen thread anyway, but I didn't know Plasmors could shoot through walls.

The fact is that Ember still falls short to so many frames even though she offers less than them. This is what I need to establish.

I learned today, and hell yeah I'm gonna stroke my epeen!

OLD GIRL EMBER.

this warframe has been my femme fatale for years, until it was brought about by some sad mediocre players that she was to powerful, and I could not get enough kills because ember was on the map. just sad. enough of that lets get to the prime meat of this topic that should be set ablaze. 

FIRE BLAST:

really sad to say this ability  is so not good, needs to be changed visually physically as well as what it does

how about we give her an exalted weapon, or better yet weapons. how about dual whips to replace the fire ball.

and they should be dual flame whips,  

hd GIF

ACCELERATE:

this is a good and bad but should take the same change as fire ball. it should still boost the dame of other abilities to keep synergy up between abilities

but it should also engulfed ember in flames pretty much like the old days of her iron skin incoming damage should do less damage. if enemies get in a certain range the burst into flames this should also strip armor from enemies or ignore enemy armor. flame on lol.

fantastic four flame on GIF

FIRE BLAST:

for the love of god with this ability. lol. this should be change to something else

maybe something like feed the flame. should help to boost allies damage when in range, that should include all damage.

killing enemies within range should also keep this buff going. something along those lines hence the tittle feed the flame. really could not find an image to represent this.