Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy (and weapon) Suggestion: The Grineer Deadeye

Caliboom

Tenno, the Grineer have a new unit, a sniper more powerful and dangerous than the Ballista, the Grineer Deadeye.

The Grineer Deadeye is a special sniper unit, designed to take out dangerous Tenno at long distances. He is more powerful, smarter, and dangerous than normal Ballistas.

- He occasionally spawns, and when he does, it's always far away from the player, and he's cloaked upon spawning, making him invisible.

- When aiming at a player, a laser is aimed at him like a Ballista's laser, however, the laser takes longer to charge, the shot is much more powerful and potentially lethal at higher levels, and the Grineer Deadeye is known for never missing. To counter this, a Tenno may get behind something to block the Deadeye's view, forcing him to re-aim.

- When the player gets close to him by tracking where the laser comes from, the Deadeyes uncloaks and takes out his Twin Kohmak, allowing him to also be efficient at close range when necessary.

- Has his own special Sniper, the Ratukk, a Sniper that fires slowly, but is more powerful than a Vulkar, and can fire a powerful charged shot.

Ratukk's stats:

- 56 Impact, 270 Puncture (326 damage per shot)

- Can fire a charged shot that is more powerful but consumes all of the bullets in the magazine (It must be full to do so).

- Fires slowly with a fire rate of 1.0.

- Has a magazine with 4 bullets in it, and takes 2.5 seconds to reload.

- Has 33% Critical Chance, 2.5x Critical Damage, and 12% Status Chance.

So, this is my first idea for a new enemy and weapon, tell me what you guys think! I thought the game needed a better Sniper to make it more challenging!

• Like 2

So on one hand, I like a lot of this design, because I think one of the basic needs for a sniper unit should be for that unit to seek cover or distance. On top of that, having invisible units that the player would need to detect I think is also brilliant, and almost completely unexplored territory for the time being (save for Kavats in the Derelict). On the other, I also feel like this is kind of what the Ballista should be, rather than a whole new unit, and much of the description in the OP tends to sound as "like X, but better". If we have a unit that's more of a sniper than our current sniper enemy unit, why have the latter when the former exists?

oh hi there Izanagi's Burden

I missed you from Destiny 2

More seriously, I don't like the mechanics here which encourage cover-camping. Warframe deliberately lacks a cover system because it's not intended to be a cover shooter, and enemies that never miss unless you're out of cover play to the game's weaknesses, not its strengths.

In fact, I'd make it the opposite, to discourage not paying attention. A big targeting beam that penetrates cover, the ability to see through cover, and an infinite punchthrough shot. However, the beam tracks very slowly, so as long as you're paying attention and moving, you're probably not going to be hit.

Edited by MJ12

On 2019-04-22 at 8:02 PM, Teridax68 said:

So on one hand, I like a lot of this design, because I think one of the basic needs for a sniper unit should be for that unit to seek cover or distance. On top of that, having invisible units that the player would need to detect I think is also brilliant, and almost completely unexplored territory for the time being (save for Kavats in the Derelict). On the other, I also feel like this is kind of what the Ballista should be, rather than a whole new unit, and much of the description in the OP tends to sound as "like X, but better". If we have a unit that's more of a sniper than our current sniper enemy unit, why have the latter when the former exists?

It's not really meant to be a replacement to the Ballista, it's meant to be a heavy unit that spawns more rarely.

17 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

It's not really meant to be a replacement to the Ballista, it's meant to be a heavy unit that spawns more rarely.

That's fair, but the Ballista is itself a medium-rare unit already, so if you were to replace it with the Deadeye, you could just lower the unit's spawn rate accordingly. The basic point here is that you're going to end up with two units doing pretty much the same thing, and your design's much more interesting, so might as replace one with the other: alternatively, you could have Ballistas spawn at lower levels, with higher stats but lower spawn rates, and then replace them with the more complex Deadeyes at higher levels.