Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migrations are Ruining the Game

ViridiusGreen

I just finished a Profit Taker mission, and right as it ended, the host left, and while the host was migrating, I failed to connect and was given nothing.

But that isn't where it ends, Host Migrations can ruin Arbitrations, Sorties, and practically any endless mode by rendering you useless while your internet finds a new host. Over on the subreddit, there are swaths of people with the same issues of Host migrations ruining their missions. It's honestly disheartening, and I've found myself closing the game and coming back after a day whenever it happens.

• Like 1

I feel your pain - as a Switch player we had a few months of failed host migrates.  It was awful.

The problem isn't the host migration per se, it's that the failed ones don't restore the rewards you have accrued.  DE needs to fix this for sure, there's absolutely no excuse for having a network model that allows for players to lose rewards on a regular basis - which is a complete waste of the time invested by the player.  It can be fixed, they just don't seem to prioritize this at all.

The distinction is important between host migrates and failed host migrates that lose rewards because I just don't see DE moving away from a P2P model with host migrates - it works well mostly other than when we get kicked to the menu and lose rewards.  So they need to fix that last - fix their networking to make it impossible for users to lose rewards.  It's kinda ridiculous that a game that's been around this long still has this built in.

There's a crash related to certain objectives being completed. I don't know anything about that but I see it, even in normal missions. Could have been that.

Host migration issues generally are 1 of 2 things, sometimes 3:

1. Connectivity issues (Either your constant connection, or the host's ability to hold player data)
  2. Rewards error / objective bugs like I mentioned (sounds like what you experienced)
  3. Host leaves squad, then exits area before all data is pulled from them to you or loaded (also very likely)

I don't know what causes the 2nd problem. It could be related to all kinds of stuff within networking and different network/system types alone. You could have been lost to the CDN but still connected to the host because it was a small network hiccup or temporarily intermittent connectivity on host/your end. I just hope it's not them being DOS'd or something related to anti-dos protections, something that can't be replaced or fixed easily.

A lot of console games have had really basic networking stuff that could still be abused by lying about what the user was doing, and DE has to aim to fix/prevent that since it's a bigger game with lots of paid-for content (plat purchases/tennogen, tradable plat and valuable items, etc.), not Call of Duty. Try to understand their perspective. I mean, it's still possible on PC to some degree (not with the severity of a hacked console and instant max-ranking without any check-ups done on accounts, but something is possible to abuse with rewards in Warframe) so it's gotta be risky to avoid for consoles. I'd blame that system first, and be grateful that it exists at all. 

People abusively leave squads because they know people will lose out and crash during migration. That happens too, and can happen regardless of the area (especially if it's a situation like "Those 3 didn't do enough and I think I'm the only one that can handle getting to extraction safely, so I'll just bail and leave them to their own devices or die.") So that would be a different problem to focus on rather than direct migration issues that are related to underperforming machines or poor hosting.

Try to get pre-made squads when you can, and find who has the best system (network, or pc/network if on computers) to host safely when it comes to content like this. 

Edited by Kilsety

1 hour ago, ViridiusGreen said:

I just finished a Profit Taker mission, and right as it ended, the host left, and while the host was migrating, I failed to connect and was given nothing.

So true. It's pure pain realizing your spoils have gone down the drain.
That's also the reason I have given up on PvP: Host is losing - there goes the session. Extremely annoying.

Edited by BloodyTourist
added text

The same thing keep happening with everyone in PS4 once host leaves no way back to the game and no rewards especially arbitration 

D.E you must do something with your game there was no problem until you you come with your updates what we gonna do with new things in game if it destroys the game (must to come by action)