Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode Suggestion: Get Rid Of No Shields Mode, Everyone Just Quits :\

Hypevosa

In my experience, nearly everyone quits a nightmare mission when it's no shields - some right from the get go, and the rest whenever they are taken down.  I think it would be wise to just remove it all together - if you want to replace it, have a shield vampire effect where it's constantly drained and then it'll be restored a bit with kills instead.  Just, no one enjoys a mode where they're either crawling at a snails pace sniping things, or where they are resurrecting their team mates 50,000 times.

Use Rhino... Problem solved...

Try something a little more helpful than the typical "I'm gonna be a $&*^" comment.

But yes this is the general case when hit by this mode everyone just up and leaves and if not its slow with lots of reviving team mates. But a good or at least smart Frost can globe up or Vauban can toos his bastile to take some edge off, not that many do mind you.

Edited by Nurmetya

so shields is generally coupled with no energy so it can be tricky to get enough energy orbs quickly enough to launch off a power.

i do like when it is in combo with vampire mode, makes you play smart (power through a small section then snipe a few enemy's and repeat) i find that combo fun

Edited by Neofenrir34

I think you're supposed to try and stealth through no-energy-no-shields mode. Equip Enemy Sense in order to "see" enemies through walls, use a silent weapon or put a 100% noise reduction mod on your gun, be careful, and pick your shots. This is still much harder than the other Nightmare effects, though, so it would be nice to at least get a chance at a secondary reward, even if it's just extra credits or resources.

In my experience, nearly everyone quits a nightmare mission when it's no shields - some right from the get go, and the rest whenever they are taken down.  I think it would be wise to just remove it all together - if you want to replace it, have a shield vampire effect where it's constantly drained and then it'll be restored a bit with kills instead.  Just, no one enjoys a mode where they're either crawling at a snails pace sniping things, or where they are resurrecting their team mates 50,000 times.

Personally, I think players dislike being gimped in general. No shield and no energy modes are biggest offenders since they take away the fast gameplay away and replace it with more squad-based survival tactic.

I have to say that "Adjust" is one word that players don't know what it means and don't know how to do.

It would be fine if you knew ahead of time what you where getting into. I personally hate no shields/energy drain and instantly quit every time I get it but some people don't mind it, if we knew what the game mode was players who dislike it could simply avoid it.

This.

I might even consider trying stealthier apporach, but since I have NO @(*()$ IDEA what is comming its nothing but frustration. You get into the game and notice that half of your mods are useless.

In addition its way easier doing those missions with infested. Corpus is harder, but not impossible since you can avoid their fire. And thencomes grineer with their hitscan aimbot weapons... well thats a NIGHTMARE

No shield mod is really limited to JUST Rhino at low levels and no one at high levels. The enemies are just too accurate and deal too much damage for 200 HP to be enough to allow this mode to work. If the stealth system worked maybe that could a be possible solution but, as of right now, that is really out of the question. Besides you would have to convince everyone to NOT run ahead and ruin the attempt.

1) Allow players to choose whether play Nightmare mode when it is available on a mission node

2) Allow players to select any combination of modifiers (including just 1 or all of them)

2.1) In-game loot and after-mission reward scales with number of modifiers selected. Harder mission = better chance for rare nightmare mods

3) Uncouple no energy and no shields, they shouldn't always be together

4) Add modes that, rather than strip players of their capabilities, provide an engaging challenge from an external source, such as having more of certain types of enemies spawn

If I'm doing Nightmare Mode I make sure to equip Equilibrium to try to make up for the fact that my health is going to get dinged a lot if it's no shields mode.  We also try to take turns being in front so that two people don't need to be revived at the same time. No health and no shields is the only variant that actually is hard mode; it's supposed to be nightmare mode so I dont' see a problem with it.

Have you tried to play no shields mode against the Grineer when they have commanders?

They switch teleport with you into their squad. This often results in an insta-kill.

An insta-kill move with no defenses that can be done even when no line of sight has been established? Screw that crap.

Use Rhino... Problem solved...

Everyone using one warframe is clearly not the answer.

high levels = lol nope

lower level stuff is not that big a deal honestly.

its a nice contrast from the normal flow of the game honestly.

no shields is doable (funnily enough was fairly easy in combo with vampire mode) 

no energy and no shields that is bull dust.

so shields is generally coupled with no energy so it can be tricky to get enough energy orbs quickly enough to launch off a power.

i do like when it is in combo with vampire mode, makes you play smart (power through a small section then snipe a few enemy's and repeat) i find that combo fun

The issue is not that it's never possible, but that I find so few people are even willing to attempt it that it may as well not be there.

I think you're supposed to try and stealth through no-energy-no-shields mode. Equip Enemy Sense in order to "see" enemies through walls, use a silent weapon or put a 100% noise reduction mod on your gun, be careful, and pick your shots. This is still much harder than the other Nightmare effects, though, so it would be nice to at least get a chance at a secondary reward, even if it's just extra credits or resources.

It would be fine if you knew ahead of time what you where getting into. I personally hate no shields/energy drain and instantly quit every time I get it but some people don't mind it, if we knew what the game mode was players who dislike it could simply avoid it.

If I'm doing Nightmare Mode I make sure to equip Equilibrium to try to make up for the fact that my health is going to get dinged a lot if it's no shields mode.  We also try to take turns being in front so that two people don't need to be revived at the same time. No health and no shields is the only variant that actually is hard mode; it's supposed to be nightmare mode so I dont' see a problem with it.

As in the second quote for this grouping, if you knew what was there ahead of time so you could change your outfitting a bit, it might work - but

Have you tried to play no shields mode against the Grineer when they have commanders?

They switch teleport with you into their squad. This often results in an insta-kill.

An insta-kill move with no defenses that can be done even when no line of sight has been established? Screw that crap.

This is another issue I have, is, depending on what your mission type is, and what your mission enemies are, you set up instagib and no win situations.  While stealth might be an answer, using stealth in a defense type mission is a no go.  While no shields and infested is viable, and with corupus is doable, it's damn near impossible with grineer due to hit scans and accuracy.

While nightmare mode's unpredictability makes it interesting, and I like that it has randomization, this randomization needs to be reigned in a bit to where nightmares are compatible with their given missions and enemies.

2.1) In-game loot and after-mission reward scales with number of modifiers selected. Harder mission = better chance for rare nightmare mods

Now this is what's missing from Nightmare mode. There are no penalties for quitting the game for harder nightmare mode combinations. Players need an incentive to power through challenging combinations. This incentive should be loot scaling. Each nightmare modifier should scale the loot by a constant factor. e.g. no shields+no energy could add 3x better loot.

Now this is what's missing from Nightmare mode. There are no penalties for quitting the game for harder nightmare mode combinations. Players need an incentive to power through challenging combinations. This incentive should be loot scaling. Each nightmare modifier should scale the loot by a constant factor. e.g. no shields+no energy could add 3x better loot.

I like the random fun factor though - I like nightmare missions feeling a little different every time.  Maybe allow for a randomize button that increases the reward you get but does not exceed the reward possible for selecting many of the nightmares at once?

Edited by Hypevosa

But yes this is the general case when hit by this mode everyone just up and leaves and if not its slow with lots of reviving team mates. But a good or at least smart Frost can globe up or Vauban can toos his bastile to take some edge off, not that many do mind you.

I don't know what kind of luck anyone else has, but usually no shields is paired with energy drain when I go into nightmare mode.

Rhino has to cast IS the exact second he enters else he has no energy for it, and there's pretty much no hope for Frost or Vauban save for a few scarce energy orbs, which they can't keep to use later. Other frames have no defensive options, but also don't have the benefit of using their abilities to offset the lack of shields, so it becomes nearly impossible to complete the mission in any reasonable amount of time.

I suggest they disallow energy drain and no shields occurring in the same mission.

it's the only cheap way they tried to mask as virtual "challenge", it's boring as hell... if you wanna try counter it.... go rhino, since iron skin will allow you to keep it when your energy dies, unlike every other skill that would require an active non dormant energy use