Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need some help with my syandana

So for a while now I have been learning and designing a syandana that has its main parts made of glass, and based on the notes in gara's file the color of glass is represented by the energy color. My model consists of two glass parts and I would like them to have separate colors for more customization. Now that duel energy is a thing, this idea seems possible but I am not sure how to set this up. The pyra syandana in the game already has 2 emissions and 2 energies. I'm not sure if my idea will be accepted but if I could have some help figuring this out then I would love to give it my best shot. 

Main Issue: How to set up two energies?

What I use: Blender and Substance Painter.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far:

PBdBPcK.jpgE16wSJb.jpgn4EpzPc.jpgmhPQB5d.jpg

Edited by HarmonicNodes
More specific
  • Like 1

First, I would recommand having a solid base outside of the glass. I'm not sure full glass is something that would work, especially as they require the full usage of all 4 tints.

About  the 2 tones energy, it's only about gradients so you won't really have ways to make it work as a dual color customitation, espicially on glass that work in a way that don't give much control to tennogen creators.

So, the alternative I would recommand is to replace on of the glass petals layer with solid material matching the tenno style (also valid for both the hologram and glass). And keep in mind both glass and hologram use the "energy" color instead of "emissive", so they will both be the same color.

15 hours ago, HarmonicNodes said:

Thank you for the reply, I am always happy to learn more. Also I saw your Wisp Diva today on twitter and I was wondering how you created her braid? 

From the looks of it, simply a flat mesh with a gradient to fade out towards the edges, using the alpha channel of the diffuse map:

uZrliMn.png

wIo2gyc.png

Then a noise texture stretched along the braid to make it appear as if the energy has hair:

BkxehYh.png

This would be added to the alpha channel as well:

Gd5XRIe.png

Then the alpha channel of the emissive map is free for any scrolling textures to be added.

(Just as an FYI, if you want to make sure someone sees your response, quote their message so they'll get a notification)

Edited by iLightning13

1 hour ago, iLightning13 said:

(Just as an FYI, if you want to make sure someone sees your response, quote their message so they'll get a notification)

Thanks for the information, and if I made something like this then how would I go about baking it as an image texture(if that is the correct term to call it)? Would I need to use something like substance painter? 

3 minutes ago, HarmonicNodes said:

Thanks for the information, and if I made something like this then how would I go about baking it as an image texture(if that is the correct term to call it)? Would I need to use something like substance painter? 

No, Blender has its own baking feature. 2.8 is very good, as it can bake both the displacement from materials and from geometry in a single bake. Simply choose "Selected to Active" to bake from the high-poly version of the mesh to the low-poly, or keep it unchecked if you want to produce an image texture from a node-based material:

Kkx3Ek7.png

2 minutes ago, iLightning13 said:

No, Blender has its own baking feature. 2.8 is very good, as it can bake both the displacement from materials and from geometry in a single bake. Simply choose "Selected to

Thanks for the work you did to recreate the effect. I was looking around on the internet yesterday and had myself very confused. 

Yeah, what iLightning13 is accurate in the idea.
The braid is made of curved panels (to keep it nice looking at any angle) all sharing the same UV with hair texture in which a scrolling flowing effect on the alpha channel.
gfdsfgsdsdgfdfg.PNG

Here are the emissive and its alpha channel (scrolling from up to down). I made the 3 different parts (hair, hologram tip and head flowing effect) different size to achieve different scrolling speed with the same texture.
WispHelmet_FX_Opacity.png

WispHelmet_FX_Base_Color.png

12 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

Here are the emissive and its alpha channel (scrolling from up to down). I made the 3 different parts (hair, hologram tip and head flowing effect) different size to achieve different scrolling speed with the same texture.

Wow! That seems quite amazing. What software do you use? And is there information about creating scrolling effects / what words should I use to find more information about them?

Also, what are the maps that warframe wants for effects? I looked at revenant's files but I am not exactly sure what I was looking at. 

Il y a 1 heure, HarmonicNodes a dit :

Wow! That seems quite amazing. What software do you use? And is there information about creating scrolling effects / what words should I use to find more information about them?

Also, what are the maps that warframe wants for effects? I looked at revenant's files but I am not exactly sure what I was looking at. 

I used maya for the modeling part, substance painter and a bit of photoshop for the texture, did the render testing in Unreal Engine. If you want to learn more about, I would just recommand searching about material shaders in general.
This is how I set it up for testing :
fdsqdqfssddsf.png

As you can see, there is a lot of freedom here, but in the case of warframe, the only thing you have access to one material the basic maps (albedo, normal, roughness, metalness), tintmask and emissive with a scrolling pattern on its alpha, so it's quite restricting and is the reason I proceed this way.

3 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

I used maya for the modeling part, substance painter and a bit of photoshop for the texture, did the render testing in Unreal Engine. If you want to learn more about, I would just recommend searching about material shaders in general.

That was some very helpful info. I'm teaching myself and it has been pretty difficult and I am happy to have some help.

:)