The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

FPS drops when in squad

Dubious01

Hi there,

I've recently moved from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz and Warframe is gorgeous.  If I play solo, whether in PoE, Orb Vallis, or any other mission ... I always sit synced at 144fps, it doesnt move no matter what I'm doing or how many enemies are on the screen ... however, when I do things with a squad, my fps drops to around ~100fps and its not so buttery smooth anymore.  Its a gradual decrease in frames, its not jittery or anything.

PC Specs:

• Ryzen 7 2700x (undervolt OC with precision boost overdrive to 4.3ghz)
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR 3200mhz RAM
  • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X OC
  • WD Black HD (cant see being on a SSD making much difference aside from loading times)

I've read that Warframe is CPU intensive rather than GPU, so I'm not sure if its optimized well for Ryzen's.  I've also read that my issue is something that's been ongoing for awhile, though I haven't seen if its been fixed or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Edited by Dubious01

I have similar problem with FPS drops to 80 FPS in 4 player squad in Cetus and Fortuna bounties, about 100 FPS in other missions in 4 player squads.

This appears to be a CPU slow down and Warframe game fails to use all threads to hit 100% CPU usage. This is like stress testing with only 1 thread, it will not use all CPU cores and threads.

144Hz 1080p Acer Freesync monitor
Ryzen 2400g
32 GB RAM at 2933 MT/s
AMD RX 580, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM
SSD Samsung Evo 970 EVO 500GB

Yes, being in a squad impacts FPS significantly.

I'd say that my fps is mostly stable at 144hz 1080p(maxed out settings) on solo, but as soon as I'm with a squad it drops to 120-130 range and down to 100 if there is lots of stuff going on.

The situation is worse if I'm the host.

I did the transition from 60hz to 144hz in 2015 and this is an issue I've been experience since then.

My rig

2060rtx(slight OC)

I7 7700k(4.9ghz)

32gb ddr4 2666mhz ram(13 15 15 30)

Samsung evo 850 500gb ssd.

1 hour ago, White_Matter said:

Yes, being in a squad impacts FPS significantly.

I'd say that my fps is mostly stable at 144hz 1080p(maxed out settings) on solo, but as soon as I'm with a squad it drops to 120-130 range and down to 100 if there is lots of stuff going on.

The situation is worse if I'm the host.

I did the transition from 60hz to 144hz in 2015 and this is an issue I've been experience since then.

Since 2015?  I guess that means it being a recent issue is not right and whether it will be fixed soon is out of the question lol 😞

39 minutes ago, Dubious01 said:

Since 2015?  I guess that means it being a recent issue is not right and whether it will be fixed soon is out of the question lol 😞

The thing is in one of the recent patches they did something which impacted the fps negatively overall.

So you may be noticing this phenomemon because of that.

1 minute ago, White_Matter said:

The thing is in one of the recent patches they did something which impacted the fps negatively overall.

So you may be noticing this phenomemon because of that.

Hmm alrighty, so there *is* hope

1 minute ago, White_Matter said:

The squad thing is likely not fixable. 

But overall FPS can be improved as recently it has been worse compared to before. There are alot of threads about this as well.

See, my FPS is fine solo anywhere - Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis, any other tileset .. using any frame, any ability, any gun, any amount of enemies ... 144fps no problem.  As soon as I'm in a squad is when my fps takes a large hit.

You mention FPS overall .. and I'm not sure if that means solo play as well .. or whether its just more pronounced in a squad ... like for example, squad fps always took a hit, but its worse now than it was before, etc.

4 minutes ago, Dubious01 said:

See, my FPS is fine solo anywhere - Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis, any other tileset .. using any frame, any ability, any gun, any amount of enemies ... 144fps no problem.  As soon as I'm in a squad is when my fps takes a large hit.

You mention FPS overall .. and I'm not sure if that means solo play as well .. or whether its just more pronounced in a squad ... like for example, squad fps always took a hit, but its worse now than it was before, etc.

Yeah since game somewhat is more demanding in a squad it is likely that the FPS hit is more noticable in public games.