Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

They're sickles, not scythes

NanoSum

24 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Not saying I don't believe you, but I'm finding 0 reference or evidence of kamas being anything other than sickle sized.

Well, I found some modern ones at least, 

Hide contents

KNK-HT1416-2.jpgfs4977292600323.jpg

But I don't think these are the "scythes" that people are asking for.

main-qimg-b7abfd406968652a287d1164e9f5fb

They DO come in varying shapes and sizes.  But no, that's not what people re asking for. Neither is this (which is what original war scythes look like) 

220px-ScottishWarScythe.jpg  or pef-9305-02.JPG

or this, which is the "peasant combat" version for people who couldn't afford to even alter a scythe (or didn't have one handy)

main-qimg-b081fcda2181e813b1ef3b30dcb25f

https://www.quora.com/Were-scythes-ever-used-in-combat-and-if-so-how

There's no actual *real* use of a large european scythe, for combat. All of that has been fantasy-altered in popular modern media/fantasy/sci-fi content.

Edited by Maka.Bones

8 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

main-qimg-b7abfd406968652a287d1164e9f5fb

They DO come in varying shapes and sizes. 

Had to reverse-image search that pic but yeah, now I'm finding references.

That said, I still wouldn't consider Warframe's scythes to be similar enough to large kamas to make it any more accurate then the the OP calling scythes sickles.

Edited by rapt0rman

Just now, rapt0rman said:

Had to reverse-image search that pic but yeah, now I'm finding references.

That said, I still wouldn't consider warframes scythes to be similar enough to large kamas to make it any more accurate then the the OP calling scythes sickles.

I edited the original post, check it out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2019-06-27 at 10:32 PM, NanoSum said:

DE, technically the in-game """scythes""" are actually called sickles and real scythes should be added....

The difference is that sickles are held in one hand and are smaller than scythes, and scythes are held in two hands and meant to be used while standing.

If real scythes were to be added, then they shouldn't be called "two-handed scythes", shouldn't be classified as polearms, and should get their own classification and stances.

Also, it'd be easy to introduce a scythe zaw by just rotating the Cyath or Balla strike on the head of the two-handed grips.

At the moment, the only weapon in-game that aesthetically looks like a real scythe is a heavy blade Dokrahm zaw, so it could also be a scythe but that would also remove the only heavy blade strike... However with the sheer amount of swords that are in-game, a larger version of the Mewan strike (or simply a normal Mewan strike that became big through the use of °•☆Ostron Magic™️☆•°) with a one-handed grip should become the new heavy blade zaw.

I realize this is a weird time to be replied to but, while the scythes in warframe are not long enough to be scythes they are still not short enough to be sickles, they are a weird size that nobody likes...