Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Growing Our Operators

(PSN)MrQuinine

Swaz do lah, Tenno. I have an idea that WILL NOT leave my head. 

We’ve had our operators for how long? And most of them seem to be early teens/tweens, right?

When will they grow up?

I want a quest that causes our operators to grow a bit. Not necessarily to full adulthood, but late teens maybe?

Along with this growth come some changes. Now your Operator is more physically fit an proficient. They can now use some parkour abilities, like sliding (yes, I know they can already slide, I mean more like a Warframe), rolling, wall running, and faster sprinting. 

They also get a new suit, which can accept some Operator-specific Mods, as well as a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. 

This next bit might require some tweaking because it’s seen through the lens of a PS4 player. Sliding, rolling, and the like move to L1 as it is on Warframes. Void mode moves to R1, while Void Dash and Void Blast become Abilities 1 and 2. New arcs on the Focus tree unlock, allowing you to learn new Operator Abilities, which can be assigned to any of the 4 ability slots as you wish. This includes the ability to ditch both Dash and Blast for other things, though remember that, without some school-specific passive unlocks, your Operator cannot bullet jump, double jump, aim glide, or wall latch, so you may want to keep Dash for mobility until they are unlocked.

Your melee weapon, ranged weapon, and amp can now be modded, though they are not as powerful as a Warframe weapon. You can switch between your ranged weapon and amp as your would with primary and secondary weapons, and hitting melee whips out your melee weapon. 

Of course, a change like this needs a reason. I’m kind of spitballing here, but maybe something kinda like Titanfall? A new mission type in which your Warframe can only operate for a limited amount of time, so calling it in is for going ham on things your Operator can’t handle alone. There’s a timer or some other limit on your Warframe, maybe due to void anomalies or some comparable plot device. Maybe you need your Warframe in order to operate in an airless environment. This would mesh well with invasion mission type where Corpus and Grineer are boarding each other’s ships. Or a new tile set that requires some Archwing travel from point to point (yes, I know, Archwing needs an overhaul). 

And this is where we start to see the REAL power of the void kids. Now that their powers are maturing, they are getting abilities that push into Warframe levels of carnage. Void storms, blasts of energy that rip enemies to pieces, things that are legitimately useful and powerful in their own right. But that power is just a taste of what is to come, and confronts is with another series of choices: do we let ourselves fall deeper into the power of the void, losing some of our humanity in exchange for more power? Do we control ourselves? Do we let Helminth modify is to be more resistant to corruption by Void energies, but simultaneously risk corruption by the technocyte virus?

What do you think? Or am I just fangirling too hard?

• Like 1

hace 6 minutos, (PS4)MrQuinine dijo:

They also get a new suit, which can accept some Operator-specific Mods, as well as a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. 

What do you mean by new suit? All of our operator fashion is wasted time and plat? Maybe a new mod system for operator, but not a new suit

Dunno, to me whenever they show operators on devstreams it looks like they're ever so slightly older than the ingame ones so maybe they do plan to have them eventually grow? That said, if I had to choose I'd rather they rework operator combat and animations to feel more fluid and look better. I wouldn't say no to a melee Amp either.