Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Defense and Mobile Defense should be switched.

Jhura

I enjoy both modes but the premise of defense missions is just dumb.

Lotus: "Ok, we can get you and the cargo you have been protecting out of there now."

Us: "Nah, just circle around the planet one more again."

Lotus: "Ok cool! If you live I will pay you more!"

Like... what the absolute hell? 

Now, Mobile Defense makes sense to be the endless mission type as you can go to a myriad of terminals and drain them of data, and return to those same terminals later if they have gotten new transmissions. Yet, after 3 we just are like: "Yeah, there are literally 500 other terminals in here but screw it, let's jet!"

So, my proposal: make Defense have a definite end after so many waves, and make Mobile defense endless and you will just be directed to the next terminal indefinitely until you choose to extract. This switch would make 100× more sense than the current system.

Thoughts?

Tl;Dr: Mobile Defense should be endless, Defense should have a definite end.

I agree with you that it makes a lot more sense lore-wise. however mechanically, Defence is a better option for long term - high level gameplay (or loot grinding). there's no unnecessary breaks where you'd need to sprint to different parts of the map just to start defending again. it's more convenient and quicker than MD and I personally prefer playing more stationary frames like Vauban and Frost which both do well in Mobile Defence but excel to great heights in Defence. Honestly it probably won't change but that's some good thinking skills there and look forward to what else you might have suggestions on that might actually get implemented.

10 minutes ago, CelsiusPrime said:

I agree with you that it makes a lot more sense lore-wise. however mechanically, Defence is a better option for long term - high level gameplay (or loot grinding). there's no unnecessary breaks where you'd need to sprint to different parts of the map just to start defending again. it's more convenient and quicker than MD and I personally prefer playing more stationary frames like Vauban and Frost which both do well in Mobile Defence but excel to great heights in Defence. Honestly it probably won't change but that's some good thinking skills there and look forward to what else you might have suggestions on that might actually get implemented.

I could understand Defense being endless if what we were defending was something like a large scale mining unit and the longer we stay the more it pulls up. Or some virus that we load on and the longer we let it go the further  it spreads or what have you. But when it is a pod with a person in it, or literally a person running around with you, then it really makes no sense why you would stay longer than it would take for extraction to get there.

Edited by Jhura

I like the idea for a continuous Mobile Defense. I don't mind Defense premise wise, it sounds dumb but it works and has it's own advantages game play wise. Mobile Defense, though, I find to be more engaging than standing by the cryopod with a Frost dome over it and I certainly wouldn't mind having it be endless, or at least endless versions of it. I don't see a reason to do away completely with endless Defense, but also don't see why we shouldn't have an endless mobile defense. So y'know, why not both?

5 minutes ago, Maqsymim said:

I like the idea for a continuous Mobile Defense. I don't mind Defense premise wise, it sounds dumb but it works and has it's own advantages game play wise. Mobile Defense, though, I find to be more engaging than standing by the cryopod with a Frost dome over it and I certainly wouldn't mind having it be endless, or at least endless versions of it. I don't see a reason to do away completely with endless Defense, but also don't see why we shouldn't have an endless mobile defense. So y'know, why not both?

I feel this, and certain tile sets do defense better than others. Uranus and Grineer Asteroid do this well because the thing you are protecting on Uranus changes and the one on asteroid is some machine. The ones I find the most ridiculous are the cryopods and the operative that is following you around.