Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Swords The Wrong Way

Airelinna

Edit: maybe i should clarify, this had nothing to do with the stance nor defence.

finger side = front facing , either tenno held it wrong or sword handle was reversed

Pics are taken from wikia, and apparently tennos likes to hit with blunt side

250px-SkanaPrime.png

Skanaprime2.jpg

250px-Jaw.png

JawSword2.png

Edited by Airelinna

Wavy doesn't mean sharp. Curved doesn't mean blunt.

The backside of the Skana Prime could just well be decorative (like a lot of things on other Primes, might I add). Why don't you include a picture of the Pangolin, too?

Edited by Shion963

Wavy doesn't mean sharp. Curved doesn't mean blunt.

The backside of the Skana Prime could just well be decorative. Why don't you include a picture of the Pangolin, too?

clearly the designer knows what he is doing because the sharp edge is actually pointing the same way as the handle

but apparently the animator doesn't know how swords are designed

and you forum people do understand i'm not referring to the stance?

look at the handle, this is how a handle should be like.

Orcrist-The-Sword-Of-Thorin-Oakenshield.

And I though I was p-ssed at seeing the Gram being held backwards. (thank god they fixed that)

Pardon my plebian knowledge at swordery, but I've had most of the weapons you pointed out and the Tenno do in fact slash with the sharp bit, instead of the back.

Lets "block with the sharp edge", according to the forum

That's when you block, when a swordman blocks attacks with their own blade, they block with the flat of the blade. This prevents wearing of the edge.

And pardon, but I do believe that he was talking about blocking with the flat, broad side of the blade instead of the thin sharp one.

Edited by Shion963

And I though I was p-ssed at seeing the Gram being held backwards. (thank god they fixed that)

Pardon my plebian knowledge at swordery, but I've had most of the weapons you pointed out and the Tenno do in fact slash with the sharp bit, instead of the back.

And pardon, but I do believe that he was talking about blocking with the flat, broad side of the blade instead of the thin sharp one.

sure i understand, but i was referring to the pic for pangolin is in exactly the same stance with the sharp edge towards the blocking side

(opposite the two swords i mentioned)

sure i understand, but i was referring to the pic for pangolin is in exactly the same stance with the sharp edge towards the blocking side

(opposite the two swords i mentioned)

Did it occur to you that those sword are also held edge-side up? That they just have funky-cool designs instead of being backward-edged?

The thumbnails are just that: thumbnails. It's not like Minecraft where the icon affects the model's outcome. Soma's thumbnail shows its magazine half-spent, yet the Arsenal picture shows it with a fresh mag.

Did it occur to you that those sword are also held edge-side up? That they just have funky-cool designs instead of being backward-edged?

The thumbnails are just that: thumbnails. It's not like Minecraft where the icon affects the model's outcome. Soma's thumbnail shows its magazine half-spent, yet the Arsenal picture shows it with a fresh mag.

did you assume the blade is the curved side straight away when you look at the blade?

i judge the blade by how the handle is positioned as you should be since the handle is uni-directional

PS: if you think its just me, let me ask this simple question.

Why the replies was divide into the blunt side up and the sharp side up? so which is the sharp?

#3 and #4 clearly said the blunt side is up which is the point i'm making

Edited by Airelinna

did you assume the blade is the curved side straight away when you look at the blade?

i judge the blade by how the handle is positioned as you should be since the handle is uni-directional

Why the replies was divide into the blunt side up and the sharp side up? so which is the sharp?

Sharp side = Up from the pics that you've posted. I have actually no clue how someone could miss this, considering the way they hold the sword.

Well since the Skana Prime is basically a Skana, and a Skana is basically a katana, and katana's hilts usually follow the same curve as the blade instead.... Yeah I immediately saw that Skana Prime was held edge up when blocking. And the Jaw Sword? It's a basic crosshilt, which like a standard longsword could mean that both of its edges are sharp.

If you base edge just on the curve, you'll have a field day wielding a kopis or a kukri...

I can't speak for them, but I'll try:

Looks to me like the swing will bring the sharp side around for a strike.  You'll notice the left hand is higher than the right.  I have no idea if that's correct space ninja sword technique or not...but that's how the arms seem to be arranged.

This guy was trying to understand your point, and provide a possible explanation somewhat of a "okay lemme get this straight, if what you're saying is right then maybe...", taking your "look, the Tenno are holding it blunt side up" statement at face value as a truth. He then talks about the grip, perhaps trying to postulate that this blocking stance is somewhat 'unique', and separate from the striking moves, drawing from how the Tenno has his left hand higher. (I honestly can't speak for other people, dude's gotta explain on his own)

That's when you block, when a swordman blocks attacks with their own blade, they block with the flat of the blade. This prevents wearing of the edge.

As I have noted earlier, this fella was talking about the flat of the blade. The broad sides of a sword, not the sharp edge nor the blunt backside. The wide part of the flat object, not the two thin ones. Bear in mind that blocking in Warframe is usually for bullets, not swords. I don't know about you, but I'd have better chances blocking bullets with the wider part rather than the thin ones, regardless of their sharpness.

Edited by Shion963

I'm pretty sure they mentioned flat (like in flat side of the blade) not blunt (like in blunt edge as opposite to sharp edge).

Look closely at how hands are positioned - this is clearly a defensive stance (as already confirmed by JohnnyBoomstick) that allows to rotate blade to counter attack with flat. Also notice how fingers and sharp edge are in one line.

Sharp side = Up from the pics that you've posted. I have actually no clue how someone could miss this, considering the way they hold the sword.

you do know that i was talking about holding the sword the wrong way?

and how do you know the bade is up? since its curved? or did you just assume?

my argument came from the grip not the stance

look below curve = blade?

sumdam1.jpg

nope

ks2s.jpg

Well since the Skana Prime is basically a Skana, and a Skana is basically a katana, and katana's hilts usually follow the same curve as the blade instead.... Yeah I immediately saw that Skana Prime was held edge up when blocking. And the Jaw Sword? It's a basic crosshilt, which like a standard longsword could mean that both of its edges are sharp.

If you base edge just on the curve, you'll have a field day wielding a kopis or a kukri...

somehow you are the only person who seems to understand what this discussion is about and read posts.. this aside

if you say skana is a katana and yes the blade is curved, but it still don't justify why the handle is flipped (the end bend out part)

and for jaw, there is even a bulge at the hilt which should be facing the front where the fingers at, yes it may be crosshilt but the hilt shows otherwise

the rest i agree with you but i was not even referring to the stance or defence posture

Edited by Airelinna

it doesn't matter which edge is the sharp edge, your character hits with the sharp edge when attacking.

and in the Arsenal when blocking, these weapons have either edge up, but it's not important. what's important for blocking is that the flat of the weapon is forwards. and it is. 

i'm sure Tenno block with blade up and blade down on different weapons for good reason. they still attack with the leading edge on all melee's, so it's not an issue. 

if you say skana is a katana and yes the blade is curved, but it still don't justify why the handle is flipped?

and for jaw, there is even a bulge at the hilt which should be facing the front where the fingers at, yes it may be crosshilt but the hilt shows otherwise

(I assume you were talking about the pommel facing away from the edge instead of toward) 

Just like edge curve, grip does not dictate which edge is sharp. A kukri, kopis, falcata, kilij has a grip that points towards the edge where the cutting edge is on the inside of the curve (Plasma Sword and Gram, I guess). A katana has one that curves away with the cutting edge on the outside of the curve (Skana, Skana Prime, Ether, Cronus, Jaw). There are swords where the overall silhouette looks like an S, like a scimitar (Pangolin, Mire). And yes, their grips follow their curves, but not specifically the blade's curve.

Now on to stances with the pommel: If it's held in a katana-like manner then the wielder won't be holding it with his non-dominant hand gripping the pommel, the pommel won't even matter much as stabbing movements won't be done with the hilt parallel to the arm, but rather somewhat perpendicular to it as one does not do a straight thrust with a curved weapon.

In a two-handed grip with the edge facing forward, the sword hilt will be held at the apex of a triangle formed by the arms and shoulder, and the backwards-pointing pommel still won't affect anything.

In the blocking stance as shown in the pictures, the pommel might even help the wielder by allowing a more back-curved grip on the non-dominant hand holding on to the lower part of the hilt, like some handle designs for hammers sold in stores.

And a nice note: Most sword with the pommel-bulge that points forward (like your example: the Orcrist, or a scimitar) is usually meant to be held in one hand to make it more ergonomic. It doesn't point which side is sharp,