Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Halloween Event difficulty

DrakeWurrum

So, it's obviously too late to speak up on this. I've had some busy work days, and I didn't get a whole lot of time to play with the Halloween event.

But I feel like the Halloween event had a serious design flaw. I wasn't able to complete the Endurance run, meaning I miss out on the Nabeerus Ephemera and a chance to upgrade my Stratos Emblem further.

And here's the rub... It wasn't that I couldn't kill the enemies. It wasn't that I couldn't stay alive.

It was simply that no matter what I tried, what "strat" I attempted to complete the missions, whether I went Public, Solo, or ran with a close friend...

Slightly after the 10 minute mark, I would always run into a lull in the battle where there's no enemies within 50m of me, no matter how careful I was about killing them too quickly, and the lantern would drop to about 40% before I could find another target. At that point, I'd basically start frantically killing any enemy I could see, but no matter how many I killed, no matter how fast, I couldn't manage to get it back up to a safe 70-80%. It was as if it drained faster the lower it got.
It didn't help that the lantern's radius would shrink as it dropped in percentage, meaning it would take more and more work to get close enough to an enemy for them to be vulnerable. (maybe it would've been manageable if all players in the cell could have their own lantern, but with a shared percentage...)

And yes - I tried going with my favorite tanky-boi Inaros, and specifically made sure to only whack an enemy on the head when the lantern needed some charge. I usually waited until 60-70%.

Up until that endurance run I was seriously enjoying the event, and was very happy to see a NEW Halloween event, instead of a rehash of previous years. It was refreshing to play something different, but the endurance mission really hammered home a problem that Warframe has had for years... enemy spawns and AI.

I don't understand how a "horde" of Infested enemies is a slow trickle of 2-3 enemies running in single file. It was especially annoying to deal with the infested moas, since they loved to stay at just far enough range that I'd have to actively hunt them down, instead of letting them come to me.

I'm not here to be salty about not getting the rewards. I shrugged that off when I realized there was no way I could finish the event AND not be late for work the next day. (seriously, though, events should always end on weekends) To be fair, I probably could have managed to complete the event if I'd had another hour to attempt it - that's on me and my life problems, not DE.

I'm just annoyed that what made the mission difficult for me was there weren't enough enemies to kill. Warframe is a horde shooter. That is the core gameplay. And yet, in a mission that specifically calls for us to kill a "horde" of enemies... I couldn't find enough enemies. That's frustrating.

This problem goes beyond the Halloween event. This is a problem that makes the entire game frustrating, and it needs to be addressed!

Edited by DrakeWurrum

The 'trick' with the event is that there's 2 spawn zones in every mission that you must go back and forth between them to keep the lantern at optimal levels. When you first kill the lantern keeper, wherever he's at is the first zone. After a few min you get a comm from the zealot, that's your sign to move to the next zone (shown as a red marker in the UI). If you kill only in the zones and keep going back and forth between them when it's time to do so, the spawns will remain optimal 

I did this solo with an ember and a catchmoon (before patch) which is less than the best way to do this and I made 900 points easily. Had difficulties with energy and such but never with the spawns 

Also you need to save the pumpkins and keep an eye on where they are, because they give lantern % as well 

Eh friend and I where able to get it with little trouble, I mean we had to restart once or twice but if memory serves we also got all the caches ta boot. Only later found out that the Mystery Kavat "egg" wasn't anything more than a placeholder for a single DNA scan not that we got any of those anyhow.