Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel is very good, but by no means perfect. Here are some improvements.

MrTitan123

Grendel: The great and terrible eater of worlds. He's the unholy combination of terrifying, ridiculous, and...strangely effective. Though, he's not the best frame out there as he has some minor problems with scaling. He scales well, just not at the level of godly. I'm perfectly fine with Grendel as is, but consider this post not as a complaint, but more of a 'wishlist' of improvements to his kit. I'll be giving my reasons for them as well to prevent confusion.

1. Feast is very energy consuming. At base, it takes 1.5 energy per second to keep an enemy in your belly, and adds another 1.5 per additional enemy you suck up. Thus, it can be difficult for Grendel to keep his lunch, so to speak. If you lose all your energy, Grendel will barf out every enemy that was in his gut. Unless you're using rage or hunter adrenaline (As you probably should), it will be very difficult to keep a steady energy supply. Not to mention that keeping enemies in your gut is key to keeping certain targets out of the fight, like Eximus, nullifiers, or noxes in particular.
Solution 1: Remove energy drain, but limit enemy cap  to 20.
Solution 2: Reduce energy drain from 1.5 to 1 per enemy.
WHY:
If you remove the energy drain, but limit enemy caps, it prevents Grendel from overfeeding. It will in turn give his expulsion part of Feast more use, as it can expel enemies that have their armor stripped, and make use of its innate toxin effect. (I also think it should do a giant gas proc in front of him for burps but that isn't important. Toilet humor ha ha ha.) You can always kill enemies with Pulverize to prevent your enemy cap from hitting max by simply killing them with jumps. In addition, having no energy drain would allow Grendel to more consistently use his gluttony passive for increased armor. As for Solution 2, It would simply be a quality of life change to make keeping enemies easier, but still keeping the enjoyment of sucking up the entire map.

2-A. Visibility and functionality of Nourish. Nourish is a great ability for buffing your team and healing yourself. The first problem with it lies with how visible your available buffs are. If you want to use a buff, you must cycle through them to highlight the one you want to use. If you don't have the correct enemy for the buff, it won't show that buff. Here's the problem: Sometimes you forget what you ate for breakfast. You end up wasting a few seconds and casts trying to cycle the buff you want.
Solution: Have a cycle wheel similar to Ivara, Vauban, or Khora along with buff icons with highlights to indicate what is available at first glance.
WHY:
I don't think any explanation is needed other than "It would look a lot better and be easier to see what I have ready".

2-B. Nourish's healing value??? Nourish is capable of healing you, but the value of which it heals you seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it'll only heal for 50 health, other times 200 per cast. No one seems to have any idea how to calculate this. I don't know, the community doesn't know, the wiki doesn't know, hell, I don't think DE knows either.
Solution: Let's normalize the healing value. For the first enemy in line for Nourish, Grendel takes 10% of that enemies health and heals himself for that value, not applying armor damage reduction, as it just takes their health.
WHY: In theory, this should have a different effect depending on how high enemy level is. On low levels, it should only heal him a bit, since he probably doesn't need it considering how tanky he is by default and when paired with his armor passive. On high levels, it should nearly fully heal Grendel because of how high enemy health can get. He'll need it too, since enemies that high can put out a lot of damage at once.

3. Regurgitate feels underused. The only reasons I would consider using this is either for chucking enemies out of the open map and into the skybox, killing low level trash, or memes. It doesn't feel like the deadly projectile vomit it was designed to be.
Solution: Have the damage of Regurgitate scale with the CURRENT health of the enemy you spit out, and deal a guaranteed toxin proc to whatever it hits.
WHY: If you deal scaling damage to enemies with the baddies stored in your gut, Grendel will have a more direct method of killing, as well as a way to deal with unwanted enemies in his belly. Your recently acquired prey goes from "useless meat sacks" to "live ammunition". Any enemy that doesn't instantly die to the body vomited at their face will slowly be poisoned to death from the toxin proc they're hit with. I chose toxin because it is consistent with the damage types in the rest of his kit, and uses similar damage calculations to slash procs. Scaling damage is key to longterm relevance, so adding that alongside a way to bypass armor in a fair way is a great improvement.

That's about all I have to say. If you have anything to add, post it down below. I do so hope DE sees this and implements something like this in the coming hotfixes.