Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Too many relics and relic opening is boring

PopGligor

I have 2 main issues with the relic system. They've been here since U19, and have caused me to quit multiple times

There's too many relics, and opening relics is just boring. 

The prior system made prime farming feel special, the void was special, it encouraged you to do the best you can in a mission, because your keys were finite and relatively rare. Now you're showered with relics, more than you can possibly use, and on top of that, opening them is just doing the same old modes, just with more enemies in them. It's really boring, I'm sorry. The way it is right now, I don't want to open relics, unless there's an exterminate/rescue/capture fissure active, because all the other ones simply aren't worth the time. It is all about your relics per minute, and nothing else.

So this is where my 2 suggestions come in. The first is to add a dedicated void fissure mode. Let's say it could be about finding an "orokin forge", loading it up with relics, and then powering it by defeating enemies, or doing something else, to open a relic. And let's say players can load up the forge with more relics, up to 3 per player (so popping 12 relics at once) which will scale the mode's difficulty up, but it'll allow you to burn relics.

And the other is a much simpler suggestion - let us spend void traces to instantly open relics at the orbiter. Players will have to balance refining against just burning relics (burning will win by a landslide), but also balance the fact that they'll only get the rewards from their own relics, they won't be able to pick other players' rewards.

My relic inventory is depressing me. I want to burn my relics, and every time I try I just want to quit warframe, knowing it simply won't ever happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PopGligor said:

The prior system made prime farming feel special, the void was special, it encouraged you to do the best you can in a mission, because your keys were finite and relatively rare. Now you're showered with relics, more than you can possibly use, and on top of that, opening them is just doing the same old modes, just with more enemies in them. It's really boring,

Unlike doing the same 40+ wave defense mission 100 000 times for only mission worth doing?  I will take relics over sitting in same defense all day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emolition said:

Unlike doing the same 40+ wave defense mission 100 000 times for only mission worth doing?  I will take relics over sitting in same defense all day.

Tbh, all it would take to make relics legit interesting would be an element of resource management that old keys had. You were pushed to do as much of that defense, because the key for it was kind of rare. Right now, one relic is one item, no matter what you do. And you get more relics than you know what to do with, so it really comes down to currency per minute, which is just boring. There is no real element of resource management. I don't think the current system is better, because even if you're visiting different missions, each of them plays out exactly the same, and none of it has any value. One of the things the system was trying to fix is that people didn't farm their own keys, all of them were leeches. But the current system encourages the same behavior - you don't need to go and farm the relics you need. Just burn random relics and hope to get the Ivara Prime parts (which you'll get, of course) from someone else. Due to the ability to pick other people's rewards, your own relics kind of don't really mean anything. My main complaint is that none of the steps involved in this system mean anything. You might as well have a random chance at receiving a prime part at the end of any mission and it would be the same.

34 minutes ago, Emolition said:

While I miss the old endless runs, this is true. The relic system is far more diverse and less boring than keys were. I'm just sad that it killed the only practical reason for players to stay past one rotation of endless missions since it's more beneficial to just reset now.

24 minutes ago, PopGligor said:

And you get more relics than you know what to do with,

Well, more than you know what to do with. Lol

Considering it's RNG based you never actually know how many relics it will take to get the part you're looking for.

A lot of times you bring an unneeded relic to simply farm void traces to improve your chances of getting the item you need from other Radiant relics.

Some items require multiples of a part to craft making the RNG more harsh.

Some people craft more than one of an item for more mod loadouts. (I don't, but there's tons of people that actually do, surprisingly)

Some people farm those parts to sell full sets to players for platinum. 

Many relics have evergreen items like Forma that you need endless amounts of.

Relic rewards are also necessary as currency for ducats for Baro Ki'teer. 

There's tons of reasons for you to want excess relics.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

While I miss the old endless runs, this is true. The relic system is far more diverse and less boring than keys were. I'm just sad that it killed the only practical reason for players to stay past one rotation of endless missions since it's more beneficial to just reset now.

Yeah that one part that is annoying now is that it near impossible to reach C rotations with pugs  but I found it to be more common in relic missions to reach 20+ then regular missions tho.

Edited by Emolition

1 minute ago, Emolition said:

Yeah that one part that is annoying now is that it near impossible to reach C rotations with pugs  but I found it to be more common in relic missions to reach 20+ then regular missions tho.

Yep. 

And the wave bonuses (whatever they are called) have probably never remotely swayed a vast majority of players to stay for the slight bonus compared to the slowed progress of enemy scaling.

From that point of view, the new mode might be better. My issue is that the way the reward structure is set, and how at least I perceive relics, I feel discouraged from doing most of the modes. The only endless mode worth doing is Excavation. For opening relics in general, capture or rescue works best. As I have infinite amount of relics, I just want to burn as many of them as humanly possible in as little time as possible. I miss the resource management of the old system, the encouragement to push yourself to maximize the use of a key - stay as long as you can in endless, or seek out all the caches in sabotage, that part.

Tbh, I'd be happy if I was able to open a relic at the orbiter for 50 traces. That would greatly improve my relic burning efforts.