Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Afk Campers Need To Go... _Now_

WeissKreuz

What if my phone rings? What if I need to go to toilet? What if I have stomach flu and I need to go throw up or have diarrhea? What if doorbell rings and it's salesman or something? What if I'm playing with friends and they don't mind if I AFK?

Afk'er are killing the game.

The suggestion I put there solved the epidemic that Mass Effect was having at that time. It would help the game more than it would hinder it in my honest opinion.

Phone rings? just move your mouse to restart the 2mins timer.

Diarrhea ? Maybe not the best time to play Warframe. If you REALLY love the game put a diaper lol.

Friends dont mind you leeching. Fine. lets punish the entire community for that situation. ! Brilliant!

Sounds cool the option that we can kick the afk players but i think that 5 min afk and an autokick would be better.

I hate auto kick bc when i would play some games like me3 with friends and we wanted to keep playing game after game, one of us would just afk and let the others know we'd be missing for a couple waves. Like every couple games i'd hide my character at the spot my friends would hold and just afk xD

I dunno. I guess autokick would be better if ppl are really experiencing afkers. I never see them. What's the point, do u really get much xp if u aren't killing?

Edited by shadowkinz

Afk'er are killing the game.

The suggestion I put there solved the epidemic that Mass Effect was having at that time. It would help the game more than it would hinder it in my honest opinion.

Phone rings? just move your mouse to restart the 2mins timer.

Diarrhea ? Maybe not the best time to play Warframe. If you REALLY love the game put a diaper lol.

Friends dont mind you leeching. Fine. lets punish the entire community for that situation. ! Brilliant!

I think what Fool suggested would be better, people can vote for a person which then pings him to AFK detect thing.

How about the host gets the option to put it on or off? 

Idle kick of 2-5 mins with the choice of having it ON or OFF. 

Play with friends you obviously don't need it. Make an open game well. ON it is!

Yeah. It could toggle. I don't see why not.

This is what happens when a game is more about grind than having fun...

Grinding is fine. Entire multi-million dollar games that millions of people love involve grinding. It's not necessarily a negative thing.

This is just what happens when people who don't like grinding play a grinding game, when they should just go play another game and stop being AFK babies.

Until it becomes a job so much so that people would afk to skip it. This goes for any game.

No, what goes for "any game" is that people will AFK for free rewards. It doesn't even have to be a grindy game-- you can look at any online game where you can get rewards for just sitting there, and people will just sit there if they can. TF2 is a PvP non-stop shoot-em-up that people used idling servers for years to AFK in for free stuff. It wasn't "grindy", it just rewarded people for playing. That's a human condition, not a game condition.

The only 100% way to discourage people from going AFK on purpose is to either take away rewards, or make sure you aren't rewarded unless you're putting in effort. And since any reasonable "effort system" would be gamed ( people would put in the minimal amount of effort, like killing one or two enemies and then going AFK, or using a macro to run into a wall while they AFK, etc ) then the only other option is some sort of kicking system.

Edited by TheResult

Personally, my approach to this situation is to essentially &!$$ off an entire tileset's worth of enemies, and march them over to wherever my absent associates may be..

Unfortunately, some major missions ( the ones where being AFK is the biggest problem ) reward every member in the room for Mission Completion, regardless of whether they're alive or reached extraction. Like if you invite somebody into a Void mission and they don't do anything? If they die? They still get whatever rare blueprint you got for Mission Complete, and that's way unfair, especially when you were nice enough to invite them to your Void mission.

Edited by TheResult

If someone's afking i'll leave the game if i don't have vauban/loki, if i do have them i tend to get them killed within a few seconds. However i do agree that there should be a kick option or some sort of auto kick implemented into the game. Sad thing is macros can avoid a auto kick so that would be pointless against the ones who use macros. Even though afk'ing gets irritating what truly grinds my gears is when someone joins a high tier match with a unranked frame and good weapons, but never fires a shot. All they do is run around picking up the mats and mods. Had a volt do that on xini the other night. -_-

Edited by itsJustThomasHD

No, what goes for "any game" is that people will AFK for free rewards. It doesn't even have to be a grindy game-- you can look at any online game where you can get rewards for just sitting there, and people will just sit there if they can. TF2 is a PvP non-stop shoot-em-up that people used idling servers for years to AFK in for free stuff. It wasn't "grindy", it just rewarded people for playing. That's a human condition, not a game condition.

The only 100% way to discourage people from going AFK on purpose is to either take away rewards, or make sure you aren't rewarded unless you're putting in effort. And since any reasonable "effort system" would be gamed ( people would put in the minimal amount of effort, like killing one or two enemies and then going AFK, or using a macro to run into a wall while they AFK, etc ) then the only other option is some sort of kicking system.

If they weren't so bored, they would play. They want exp, they afk and get exp when bored. It's not just the rewards. So when they release content with rewards that you get by doing the same thing in the same places, you get those that afk. If the new content is a weapon, then to level it you must go to the same places they are alredy bored of so they just afk instead of doing it all over again because they are bored to death.

If they weren't so bored, they would play.

Sounds like a personal problem.

No, really.

If they're bored, they should just plain stop playing, not go AFK. It's not the game's fault that these guys are jackwads. Like I already said, people will go AFK for free stuff no matter what the game is. TF2 isn't boring. Thousands of people agree. But people still AFK, because people are the problem. If they're bored, they need to just find something else to do for a while, and then come back when they feel like it. It's not an excuse for joining a game and ditching everybody else who isn't bored and wants an active teammate.

Guest DeadGoanna

People will do as they please because it is their choice and right to do so.

They could also do it to be smarty pants.

Why let a tiny thing like this ruin your gaming experience?

People will do as they please because it is their choice and right to do so.

"It's my choice and right to be a major dillweed! Ahyuck!"

Okay, but it could also be DE's choice and right to give us a way to punish them for it, so.. That's what we're talking about.

Guest DeadGoanna

Punish them..........

Good god man we fight with honor, integrity, valor and must not let these cowards live.

It's only a game. No need to get upset because of some random person.Ignore them and enjoy yourself.

I agreed. AFK players just being so stupid. I have a friend playing Warframe. He's AFK all the time because of school, he's not playing solo, just online to getting help and continue traveling in missions.

I should really tell you this that my friend don't use WASD keys, just arrows, not running (he run by using keyboard and no hand on his mouse)

It's only a game. No need to get upset because of some random person.Ignore them and enjoy yourself.

Okay, here's the thing: They are doing something that actively affects the game I'm trying to enjoy. For a lot of these big-ticket missions, it'd be best for the team if all four people were active. Maybe we can finish it without a 4th, but what sort of dingus makes that assumption and goes AFK? On top of that, they're taking the spot in the game that could be used for somebody else who might be outside the match, waiting for people to play with. They are actively affecting enjoyment. That's upsetting, so yes, people are upset by it. And there's nothing wrong with them being upset. There is something wrong with people going AFK.

And you're right: it IS "only" a game. A game people put time and money into. A game that we might choose to play in the very limited free time we have in a day, and that we'll get upset by if somebody screws it up for us. So if they get punished for doing something wrong in the game, you can tell them it's only a game, and they shouldn't be upset for being punished. Win-win, right?

This is completely side-stepping the fact that it is just plain asinine to say "it's only a game" in a forum MEANT FOR discussion about the game. Are you upset by low droprates? "It's only a game." Are you upset because the game crashed? "It's only a game." Are you upset because the game bugged and suddenly all of the weapons you worked for are missing from your inventory? "It's only a game. Don't complain."

Seriously, cut that crap out.

Edited by TheResult

I don't see the issue with afkers, how is them sitting there directly effecting your gameplay? You can say "oh they r getin xp n creds 4 doing nothin" But who cares? If this is such a giant insult to you, then find 3 guys who you like, and regularly play with them and avoid pubs.  

(I still dont understand why afkers is such an issue, if you gotta S#&$, you gotta S#&$.)

I don't see the issue with afkers, how is them sitting there directly effecting your gameplay?

See the post above yours.

If this is such a giant insult to you, then find 3 guys who you like, and regularly play with them and avoid pubs.

Man, I'm just going to copypaste a response from another thread to deal with this.

Seriously, most people can't just play with people they know 24/7. I've got like 5 friends who I convinced to play this game, and they all have jobs and lives like I do-- they can't be on when I'm on and playing all the time. So when there's an Alert, or when I feel like farming resources, who am I playing with?

Most people have to play with randoms. Saying "play with people you know" is not a satisfying answer, because that's not how the majority of people play most of the time. And for those people, AFK players can be a problem.

If you honestly read this thread, you'd know that most of the people here who are upset are upset by dudes who go AFK for the full match-- not just every dude who has to take a bathroom break. You wanna' go take a dump? Fine, let your team know and then go take your dump, whatever. Nature calls. You wanna' sit there and do absolutely nothing for the whole game? Cut that out.