Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game leaves 37GB of trash behind after uninstalling

--EC--Adrenaline

il y a 3 minutes, Shalath a dit :

Possibly a failed cache optimise the installer doesn't know about? The only similarly named folder I have has a tiny file called "settings" in it. The game data lives in /downloaded/public/ as well.

Probably, the uninstaller is flawed then, had to manually remove some other related files/folders that were left behind before starting steam installation. That's quite a lot of wasted space if it happens to someone who doesn't know a bit about how programs work.

Just so you know, I went to my Warframe Folder in the steamapps, and allowed it to calculate the amount of space it takes. It's 38 gb. 

So, you didn't uninstall the game, just the executable for the launcher. Just save your EE.cfg to your desktop and delete the entire folder. EE.cfg is your settings for controls, graphics and miscellaneous information about your compute. Unless you want to set up all of these options again, I suggest you hold onto the backup. 

2 minutes ago, --EC--Adrenaline said:

Probably, the uninstaller is flawed then, had to manually remove some other related files/folders that were left behind before starting steam installation. That's quite a lot of wasted space if it happens to someone who doesn't know a bit about how programs work.

Actually you have to be very careful with uninstallers because if you just nuke the whole Warframe folder you have nuked anything people may have put in there such as config backups. Almost every installer I have ever seen will only remove what files it put there in the first place to avoid such accidents.

What is curious is why the game ended up in that folder in the first place unless a cache optimisation ran out of space, but I would have expected it to remove what it has not finished in that case. I'm fairly sure the optimisation copies and optimises the file structure to a new folder, removes the old structure (if it completes) and puts the optimised files back in the original location so it can simply keep the old structure and delete the failed one if something goes wrong.

il y a 12 minutes, ShichiseitenYasha a dit :

Just so you know, I went to my Warframe Folder in the steamapps, and allowed it to calculate the amount of space it takes. It's 38 gb. 

So, you didn't uninstall the game, just the executable for the launcher. Just save your EE.cfg to your desktop and delete the entire folder. EE.cfg is your settings for controls, graphics and miscellaneous information about your compute. Unless you want to set up all of these options again, I suggest you hold onto the backup. 

I have no idea how their uninstaller works and why main game files or cache files were left behind, but steam version installs it in it's own folder in program files, so had to remove anyway. As for game settings I'll just re set them, I removed everything already.

il y a 11 minutes, Shalath a dit :

Actually you have to be very careful with uninstallers because if you just nuke the whole Warframe folder you have nuked anything people may have put in there such as config backups. Almost every installer I have ever seen will only remove what files it put there in the first place to avoid such accidents.

What is curious is why the game ended up in that folder in the first place unless a cache optimisation ran out of space, but I would have expected it to remove what it has not finished in that case. I'm fairly sure the optimisation copies and optimises the file structure to a new folder, removes the old structure (if it completes) and puts the optimised files back in the original location so it can simply keep the old structure and delete the failed one if something goes wrong.

Since I had the standalone version I've never had any errors or warning about space when optimizing. It's possible it lost track of them during hotfixes after railjack update