Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get Servers or Optimize the P2P connection

mega_lova_nia

8 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

You have no idea how big of a deal connection stability can be for the user experience, apparently.

and you are just throwing around assumptions making them sound as if they were facts.

Dedicated servers MIGHT get more us players. But it's far from being certain. If people don't like the game play the servers won't do anything...

But hey, as I said, I don't work in IT. You clearly do, though. So you are right, I am wrong. How about you write a paper on how DE will be able to make it all happen. Clearly DE has no idea what they are doing, as they didn't figure out how to approach servers. I bet you know more about their game than DE does...

The actual gameplay happens mostly on p2p connection. Servers only handle progress data which doesn't need to be in realtime, the extreme latency and false information must be from poor structural design and coding. They need programmers who think more methodically and don't cut corners.

On 2020-03-27 at 4:27 PM, WhiteMarker said:

And bring up other issues.
Where would these servers be located? At Canada where DE is. All over the world?

1.) Same location they are currently

How do they pay for the servers?

2.) Like everyone else with this kind of system

How is decided to which server you connect?

3.) The same way it´s done currently

How would you play with the people you want to play with?

4.) The same way you do currently

If I wanted to play with my brother in the same building, the ping would be perfect. But if we first had to connect to a server in, let's say, spain, the ping wouldn't be as good.

5.) There might be scenarios where Hybrid systems have advantages. But better and stable connection is definitively not the reason you want to use them.

On 2020-03-27 at 4:30 PM, WhiteMarker said:

And if the server had issues, and went offline, would you just be unable to play? Or would you have to use a server located somewhere far away?
Sure, servers are awesome. They solve every problem possible...

If a server went offline you can´t play neither now nor with a different system.

I have a feeling a lot of people think they are only connect to other players and DE receives all the data magically (btw it definitively not a true P2P but most likely a hybrid system). It´s not a question about adding server (they already exist) rather than how do you increase the capacity or optimize the netcode in order to allow for direct connection.

As far as I understand the network currently works in this way (simplified version): clients are connected to there host and host´s are connected to servers. Syncronisation happens between host and client and is broadcasted to the server. I think it´s self-explanatory why those systems are much more vulnerable to bugs, sync issues, loose of progress, etc if you have to send data twice and rely on stability of non professional networks. But that´s something you are aware of if you want to use the advantages.

Edited by Arcira

• 2 years later...
On 2020-03-27 at 11:51 AM, WhiteMarker said:

A server... too cute...

But you didn't suggest a solution. You suggested more issues that need to be adressed.

You literally just keep saying "Yeah, you're right, but there's more problems than you think!" Whilst not listing any real ones that P2P doesn't also face, aside from the " Well, if the other player is within arms reach, it's a better connection!" Point, which is very much a worthy the trade off imo

No other game I have experienced has connection issues quite like this game, even other P2P games, so I don't know what truly is the problem here, but I think it's a bit more complex than just the way it connects players together.

Just quit defending DE's clearly sloppy and cheap approach to this. They've been known to take years on many problems that could probably be fixed in weeks, and are one of the highest selling games on Steam. People just constantly saying "they're trying their best" or "that's just Warframe" are grossly naive and/or in denial about how good the game could be if anyone actually cared to make it work properly half the time 

Edited by SamCantShoot
Grammar error