Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parazon 2.0: The True Tenno Swiss Army Knife

(PSN)LeBlingKing

WzsPzFi.png

The Parazon is an interesting addition to the space ninja arsenal, and something that is designed to work in tandem with all the basic game mechanics like hacking terminals, killing enemies, and vanquishing your Kuva-enriched nemeses. Today I'm going to take a better look at how the Parazon can be better incorporated into the game.

Changes to the Flavor Text

I have another concept based around the reworking of Kuva Liches that I haven't posted here yet, but in that concept, there are a few changes to the flavor text (and lore?) that I made to better incorporate future Parazon and Lich changes.

• Requiem Mods and Requiem Relics are no longer a thing.
  • All Tenno still have the Parazon, it is still a universal hidden blade multitool used to assassinate enemies and hack into terminals, but Requiems no longer exist as “Mods”
    • After The War Within, when the Lotus gains news of Kuva-enhanced super soldiers, she’ll upgrade your Parazon to be equipped with ancient Requiem Ideographs that can, in the correct order, configure the Parazon to sever the link between a Lich and their Kuva, cancel out their Continuity, and kill them once and for all (this upgrade to the Parazon will either be through an email, a mini-cinematic, or automatically, please use your imagination)
    • In modding your Parazon, you will be permanently equipped with Ideographs, which are essentially like Requiem Mods but they don’t need to be farmed, and they don’t get defiled, which means the only thing YOU have to worry about is the order they need to be in to kill your Lich
    • This bolsters the number of mod slots on the Parazon from three to SIX
  • Canon Quest Order: War Within -> Old Blood (lotus upgrades our stuff) -> Chains of Harrow -> Apostasy Prologue (lotus goes to get some cigarettes) -> Sacrifice -> Chimera Prologue, et cetera, et cetera

sm8Etxu.png

Four Mod Categories (also, new mods) ((also, new Revive system))

Before we get into the mod categories, there is something you should know: Revives will no longer consist of green noxious gases shocking the Warframe into waking up. There is a special compartment in the Parazon's tether that allows it to act like a syringe filled with revitalizing Void energy. Throwing the Parazon allows you to revive enemies from up to 10 meters away, and it's a one-handed action meaning that you can still shoot your secondary weapon and use certain abilities while doing so. 

Now for the categories.

Hacking - Mods focusing on intruding enemy terminals.

• Auto Breach
  • Failsafe
  • Intruder
  • Spear Phishing - on successful hack, show hidden crates and +50% enemy credit drop for 15s
  • Radar - on successful hack, highlights enemies in a 30m radius for 15s
  • DDOS - on successful hack, disable enemy alarm triggering for 60s
  • Runtime
  • Untraceable
  • Live Wire
  • Master Key - unlocks ALL locked lockers in the same room as the terminal

Mercy - Mods focusing on lethal assassination.

• Blood for Ammo
  • Blood for Energy
  • Blood for Life
  • Hit and Run
  • Out of Sight
  • Blood for Power - +100% damage and Power Strength bonus for 12s
  • Blood for Precision - +100% critical change and damage bonus for 12s
  • Blood for Potency - +100% status chance and duration bonus for 12s
  • Blood for Protection - +50% damage reduction and x10 damage reflection for 12s
  • Blood for Peace - +2%/s health and shield regeneration for 12s 

Revival - Mods focusing on resurrecting your allies. (Trinity's new passive: able to revive allies from 20m away and +25% faster)

• Resuscitation - crouch while reviving to grant ally with instant revive in exchange for 25% of your health
  • Revitalize - increase revive rate by +25%
  • First Aid - you are allowed to revive yourself ONCE per mission (don't bring to Arby's, it requires you to go into Bleedout so this mod won't even work)
  • Revival Bolster - crouch while reviving to grant ally with 10s invulnerability in exchange of 75% energy cost (can not be used if you don't have 75% energy bar)
  • Extensive Tether - +5 meter revive length

Kuva - Mods that have a 10% chance to drop from liches that focus exclusively on player-lich interaction. Just like you'll know when a Lich has an ephemera, you'll know when they'll drop a Parazon mod upon vanquish or conversion.

• Requiem Whisper - Mercied thralls have a 20% chance of granting 2 murmurs
  • Irritation - Mercying thralls grant 1.5x the anger of regular mercys.
  • Progenitor's Power - On successful Lich stab, grant player with +150% damage in the Lich's Progenitor-assigned element for 120s
  • Aggravation - Lich stabs have a 25% chance to not reset anger meter
  • Assassin's Eye - Mercy Kill threshold for Thralls and regular enemies increases by +10%

Locker Infiltrator

I was thinking of a way you could unlock locked lockers manually instead of through Master Thief, Scavange, or Master Key. I was thinking that depending on the faction the locker originates from, it would be an "expert" version of that hacking minigame that would lock the player out of the locker permanently if they failed, but would have the chance of rewarding the player with rare planet resources and certain mods if they win.

• Grineer - 8 pips total, cursor moves a lot faster, cursor has a 50% chance to start moving backwards and a 50% chance to stay on its path, no mistakes allowed
  • Corpus/Orokin - 15 seconds, but as soon as you turn a hexagon, it detects an intruder

No Weapons? No Problem.

One thing I've always wanted is an unarmed melee stance. But now that we have the Parazon, we can incorporate that into the mix too!

Along with the Parazon, all Tenno now come with a universal melee weapon: THEIR FISTICUFFS!

fight you chuck norris GIF by GritTV

The Unarmed weapon consists of the classic 8 mod slots and a stance that incorporates hands, feet, and the Parazon as a both a dagger and a rope-spear by extending the tether.

Want some examples of moves? Best I can think of are a few moves from Mortal Kombat 11:

Parazonium: The Exalted Parazon

Here's a question for you: what do you get when you cross an edgy space child cursed with void powers with a multitool that they can detach from the host and channel said void powers through?

The answer is the Parazonium. 

KLNzScO.png

Here are a few notes:

• During battle, an Operator can press the Use button near their Warframe in order to detach their Parazon and channel energy into it, creating the Parazonium.
  • It's not moddable in of itself, but it deals massive Void energy up close to atone for the lack of range you'd find in Amps.
  • The Void status effect from the Parazonium comes in five distinct flavors:
    • Zenurik - electricity and 20% chance of dropping an energy orb on death
    • Varazin - health pulse on death, replenishes 50 health
    • Unairu - petrification 
    • Madurai - +50% damage susceptibility
    • Naramon - radiation proc and 20% chance of dropping a health orb on death
  • Amps can not be equipped or used while the Parazonium is active

Thanks for reading! As always, please hand me some feedback and I'll see you next time!

- LBK

diamond spinning GIF by Chris Cubellis

• Like 4

Revival as 1 handed action with 10 meters range as a bit to storng unless the revival is tied to some mini game that the player can fail. Even with that clause reducing it to just 3 meters would still be really good.

As far as rhe rest of the suggestions are concerned they are quite good the only change I would is making the process of equiping the parazon a little bit faster , interacting with your warframe is a bit of length process ( press 5 , turn around than press x ) 

Unless I missed something, a lot of this feels like it would be wasted effort because there are so few times that we get to interact with the Parazon. It being just a random chance to kill a low health enemy means that the only reason you will do a finisher on an enemy (outside Lich hunting) is if someone failed to kill an enemy. Parazon Finishers only acting as "finishers" doesn't work with Warframe's gameplay flow.

What about this...

Have a Paraon Finisher "charge" build up by getting experience, much like how Syndicate weapons build up for their effect. When you have a charge, you can do a Parazon Finisher on any enemy, even full health. As a base mechanic, using a single charge to kill an enemy will create a normal energy and health orb.

Allow you to build up to a maximum of four charges, for every charge the energy and health orb will grant 25 more health/energy.

This, for one, helps a bit with the energy economy (especially for new players) by giving us a guaranteed way to get some energy. In addition, and more to the point of this thread, it gives us the ability to actually use Parazon finishers in normal gameplay. And by them being basically Covert Lethality 2.0, it will fill a little bit of a power fantasy. I don't think that being able to kill one enemy on an affinity cooldown will be "OP", but being able to quickly and reliably take out an annoying threat would make it feel good to use the Parazon.

These are quite some neat concepts.

ideographs/kuva mods:

I really do like this concept. it removes a time consuming and tedious element while letting us have more interesting interactions with our hunts, all while rewarding the progression of people who hunt multiple liches rather than just hunting 1 and abandoning the system. as someone who recently had to describe the kuva lich system to a returning player, i am all for this initial simplification with later rewards that allow you to step it up if you so choose.

hacking/execution mods:
they seem like fitting mods to put on a parazon, some of them so much so that i'm surprised they're not already in the game, not much else to say in that regard.

being able to unlock locked lockers? sure, i don't see why not.

revival mechanic:

i agree with keikogi that the revival mechanic might be a bit strong as an all-around buff to all frames, however i do see a point in making it a one-handed action, so that, if equipped, you are able to fire secondary weapons/one-handed abilities. Not sure if it would change much though, due to the frequency of people just jumping into void-walk operator mode to be completely invulnerable and invisible while reviving.

Parazonium void sword:
not entirely sure about this one, 

5 hours ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

Amps can not be equipped or used while the Parazonium is active

if this means you have to go into a mission amp-less in order to use the parazonium, i'd prefer it to automatically equip upon entering operator mode. however, due to the operators themselves lacking in sheer strength, durability and agility by themselves, it seems kinda weird to have them wield a sword and go hit people with it. maybe that's just me.

now the suggestion borris came up with

4 hours ago, DrBorris said:

What about this...

Have a Paraon Finisher "charge" build up by getting experience, much like how Syndicate weapons build up for their effect. When you have a charge, you can do a Parazon Finisher on any enemy, even full health. As a base mechanic, using a single charge to kill an enemy will create a normal energy and health orb.

-snip-

And by them being basically Covert Lethality 2.0, it will fill a little bit of a power fantasy. I don't think that being able to kill one enemy on an affinity cooldown will be "OP", but being able to quickly and reliably take out an annoying threat would make it feel good to use the Parazon.

this would in my opinion be quite a welcome addition. at the moment, the parazon "kill" mods are pretty much never used because  99% of the time, once an enemy is low health enough to activate the mercy finisher, they're either already under a crosshair losing the rest of their health, being affected by an AoE ability that'll end them before you get to them, or just suffering from status effects that'll take care of them.

most enemies can be easily handled by either gun, blades or abilities, but every now and then you might face a heavy gunner, bomard, a corpus tech etc. that's found a nice spot to get their shots in on you while being somewhat protected. having a reliable and rechargeable method to pick out and take out dangerous priority targets on the battlefield seems like exactly the kind of use an assassination blade would have. 

when increasing revive radius, one must consider how this could effect or be effected by other context actions. What, if anything, overrides a revive? This issue was covered with ziplines awhile back, when excavation was a new gametype. People were hopping up onto wires while trying to pick up a fuel cell. You'd have to do the same business here, likely with revs being overridden by everything except dashwires.

The parazonium feels weird. Giving a lightsaber to some squish kid who (outside a few abilities, arcanes, and situations) has no business being anywhere near an enemy seems counter intuitive. After all, a better melee weapon can almost always be obtained by pressing 5. While I'm sure there's some players out there who've logged 1000+ hours into tridolon hunting alone and can mod an operator with seven kinds of invulnerabillity, I feel putting a melee weapon in the hands of the spoiler children is a bit misguided. Not that I can't see a cool moment or two coming out of that.

While the implications of stabbing a warframe with void juice to revive it are a little unorthodox, I like the concept that the parazon plays a role in revival. Besides, it's a fairly on-brand way to explain revival.

The mods are fantastic, particularly with DrBorris' addition. I suspect DE will be nerfing some of the numbers, though, should this see implementation.

On 2020-03-30 at 6:04 PM, DrBorris said:

Allow you to build up to a maximum of four charges, for every charge the energy and health orb will grant 25 more health/energy.

My last thought is about this "new blood" questline. It's well and good, but a sizeable chunk of the population has already completed erra. Implementing this new quest asynchronusly will require some adjustment.

The parazon is a system is in its infancy, and this is a good start to figuring out where it may progress.